Hahn on The Score this morning

Jack Parkman

14 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Nah, he's 27. He'll be the first one to go through the post-Ohtani posting system.

Interesting.  He would definitely make a ton of sense for us if our front office isn’t scared off by the recent shoulder problems.  MLBtradrumors has him signing a 6/$42M contract with a $8M posting fee on top.  I’d be all over him at that price.  An under 30 left-handed starter would slot in nicely with all our right-handed pitching and make Rodon a little bit easier to move if he has a fast start coming season.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Interesting.  He would definitely make a ton of sense for us if our front office isn’t scared off by the recent shoulder problems.  MLBtradrumors has him signing a 6/$42M contract with a $8M posting fee on top.  I’d be all over him at that price.  An under 30 left-handed starter would slot in nicely with all our right-handed pitching and make Rodon a little bit easier to move if he has a fast start coming season.

I think it's going to be more like $70-80M total.

16 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Can’t spend $1 if all you have is $0.50.

Well, happily, Hahn is currently referencing “flexibility and economic strength” - appropriate for a team playing in the city of Chicago - rather than that poor-mouthing gibberish that KW used to fly up the flag pole.  Talk about a dog that wouldn’t hunt.  

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Corbin presumably...Keuchel and Kimbrel.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/11/mlb-free-agent-predictions-2019.html

Once you get past the Top 10, there’s a severe drop off in quality.

Also has Josh Donaldson signing a $20 million one year deal, Harper at $420 million to the Dodgers and Machado at $390 million to the Phillies.  Only three deals for over $100, though, with Corbin at $129 million to the Yankees.

If the Twins are going to spend $100 million plus, it will be the shocker of the offseason.

I was specifically asking Mr. Hot since he likes to make bets without making clear what he means by his all encompassing statement of a " big name".

• Like 1

There are going to be some disappointed posters when they eventually find out the Sox had virtually no shot at Harper or Machado.  The one hope is that the Phillies sign Harper quickly,  because if they miss on him, Machado is going to get even more from them, and it's the east coast, where he wants to be, and you can actually see light at the end of their tunnel.  Some even think the Phillies will sign both. That seems a bit crazy to me, but signing one of them may keep the price they would pay for the other  down a little bit.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

There are going to be some disappointed posters when they eventually find out the Sox had virtually no shot at Harper or Machado.  The one hope is that the Phillies sign Harper quickly,  because if they miss on him, Machado is going to get even more from them, and it's the east coast, where he wants to be, and you can actually see light at the end of their tunnel.  Some even think the Phillies will sign both. That seems a bit crazy to me, but signing one of them may keep the price they would pay for the other  down a little bit.

Wow, virtually no shot eh? Please let me know where you purchase your crystal balls at.

52 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I was specifically asking Mr. Hot since he likes to make bets without making clear what he means by his all encompassing statement of a " big name".

Machado, Harper, or Corbin. I didn't propose a bet in that post. Are you proposing a ban bet?

I can understand being both the optimistic and pessimistic sides here. Their payroll is going to be so absurdly low that they can offer the most money without going near the luxury tax. I could see someone like Machado just going with whoever will give him the most money regardless of contention, Harper not so much. But they've never been able to land the big fish outside of Albert Belle and seem to have trouble getting players to want to play here. I don't expect them to land either of them but if they do I also won't be surprised.

Thanks for linking the interview. I don't think there's anything there that changes the situation as I knew or figured it. While I hope they sign one of the big guns, I would be shocked if it actually happens. I'm an expecting a 'valiant' effort that lands the in 2nd place with one of them.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Kaplan said no shot on twitter today the Sox have with either, and yesterday Cafardo made no mention of them being spenders.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, fathom said:

Kaplan said no shot on twitter today the Sox have with either, and yesterday Cafardo made no mention of them being spenders.

There is zero incentive for Hahn to hunt at chasing a big name FA if they have no intention of doing it full out. It is going to raise expectations and piss off the more offendable in the fan base if they fail, or even worse if they do it halfway. 

23 minutes ago, fathom said:

Lol...so you believe Kaplan about the Sox and not the Cubs?  And Cafardo knows shit outside of Boston depsite how badly he wants to pretend he’s Peter Gammons.

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...so you believe Kaplan about the Sox and not the Cubs?  And Cafardo knows shit outside of Boston depsite how badly he wants to pretend he’s Peter Gammons.

Kaplan has said for probably 8 months now that Sox wouldn’t spend a lot this offseason. The Cubs not spending is relatively new information that goes against what many Cubs “sources” thought their game plan would be.

28 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

There is zero incentive for Hahn to hunt at chasing a big name FA if they have no intention of doing it full out. It is going to raise expectations and piss off the more offendable in the fan base if they fail, or even worse if they do it halfway. 

Couldn’t agree with you more

26 minutes ago, fathom said:

Kaplan has said for probably 8 months now that Sox wouldn’t spend a lot this offseason. The Cubs not spending is relatively new information that goes against what many Cubs “sources” thought their game plan would be.

What Cubs “sources” are you referring to?  Multiple outlets are reporting the Cubs are strapped right now.  

And how the fuck would Kaplan know the Sox’s intentions?

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What Cubs “sources” are you referring to?  Multiple outlets are reporting the Cubs are strapped right now.  

And how the fuck would Kaplan know the Sox’s intentions?

If the Cubs are strapped right now this is a sign that the Sox in no way are going to commit that kind of money to Machado or Harper. It's too big a risk for an organization that historically has led us to believe they are not rolling in money. Machado frankly is a risky proposition considering his red flags on the field; Harper makes too much sense for the Phils or Nats or even the Cubs if they are not strapped. 

That said ... what did Hahn say about free agency on the podcast. I've been too busy to listen to it? Can somebody fill us in?

Edited by greg775

6 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

Wow, virtually no shot eh? Please let me know where you purchase your crystal balls at.

I mean...they don't have alot going for them other than offering alot of money. They aren't the only ones who can do that though. I don't even see them winning the money bid if that's what it came down to. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't think they believe that but I don't think they land him. Sox are 100% going after Machado though. The presentation is ready.