Hahn on The Score this morning

Jack Parkman

24 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If Sale wanted to come back, would you guys want him back at the money he's going to command? 

Serious question. 

Nope.  He is about to turn 30 and breaks down every year. He did close out the World Series but that was after missing a good chunk of time during the year.

9 hours ago, Hot FiRe said:

Wow, virtually no shot eh? Please let me know where you purchase your crystal balls at.

He says things with no basis but sometimes he's right.

The thing is, he never stops with the bad takes so it seems like he's correct frequently.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Nope.  He is about to turn 30 and breaks down every year. He did close out the World Series but that was after missing a good chunk of time during the year.

Loved him when we had him but there's no way I want to overpay that throwing motion.  

Maybe.

Adam Dunn in 2011 (debacle though it proved to be) was one of the big names that off-season.  It is pretty sad that's our "biggest" move in over 20 years (you could put Luis Robert and Abreu up there as well.)

Unless, of course, we go by a $100+ million contract doled out, in which case we're nowhere close to the original impact of the Belle signing over 20 years ago (which was also done out of spite over the labor negotiations, and to make a point to fellow owners.)

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

I'm damn near 40 and the Sox have signed 1 significant FA in my lifetime. It was in 1997. I'm not even entertaining the idea of signing Harper or Machado.

I'm sorry, but this logic is just garbage. The past really has little to do with what the White Sox are doing now. Jerry broke the bank with albert Belle. He signed MJ an astronomical contract in the mid 90's. He broke the bank on Derrick Rose. He spent a lot on an unknown commodity in Jose Abreu. 

The White Sox are in a unique position where they have lots of young talent and a LOT of money to spend. It makes complete sense that they would be one if the top bidders for these big name free agents.

These pessimistic "it ain't gonna happen!" posts that are completely void of any logic or reasoning are just ridiculous. Is it likely we get one of them? No, because there are a lot of bidders. However, their chances are as high as any team. Big market, top farm system, lots of cap space. It's pretty simple. 

Edited by Hot FiRe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

I'm sorry, but this logic is just garbage. The past really has little to do with what the White Sox are doing now. Jerry broke the bank with albert Belle. He signed MJ an astronomical contract in the mid 90's. He broke the bank on Derrick Rose. He spent a lot on an unknown commodity in Jose Abreu. 

The White Sox are in a unique position where they have lots of young talent and a LOT of money to spend. It makes complete sense that they would be one if the top bidders for these big name free agents.

These pessimistic "it ain't gonna happen!" posts that are completely void of any logic or reasoning are just ridiculous. Is it likely we get one of them? No, because there are a lot of bidders. However, their chances are as high as any team. Big market, top farm system, lots of cap space. It's pretty simple. 

Not to mention Luis Robert. Like you said, I'm not counting on the Sox getting either one of these guys, but I don't think it's impossible.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hot FiRe said:

To say the White Sox won’t be signing someone to a $300 million + contract is not a comment void of logic or reasoning at all. It is almost 5 times more than they have ever spend on a free agent. One of the guys desperately wants to play on the east coast where there is a team with a blank check who wants him. The other guy is represented by Scott Boras, a guy the White Sox have historically not had a really good relationship. The team is also currently awful, and although plays in the 3rd largest market, still has a red headed stepchild existence.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hot FiRe said:

He signed Belle, which I mentioned. He retained Jordan, in a different sport/the 2nd most popular athlete in history/the basketball GOAT. He drafted Rose. All your examples are awful and my logic is "garbage." 

8 hours ago, Hot FiRe said:

I think you left out one factor. Ability to compete for a World Series. I posted a few weeks ago that different things affect FA. I don't know how important is it for a player to want to go to a team that will compete next year. Machad , for example,  is coming from a near miss.  Will he be content to go to an organization that hopes it is a few years away?. Cano went out to Seattle when they were down so some players will gamble on a team 's future. But most seem to want to go to a situation where there are pieces in place and they put them over the top. Hopefully Machado/Harper see the chance to be the top player that a team builds around. 

19 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I think you left out one factor. Ability to compete for a World Series. I posted a few weeks ago that different things affect FA. I don't know how important is it for a player to want to go to a team that will compete next year. Machad , for example,  is coming from a near miss.  Will he be content to go to an organization that hopes it is a few years away?. Cano went out to Seattle when they were down so some players will gamble on a team 's future. But most seem to want to go to a situation where there are pieces in place and they put them over the top. Hopefully Machado/Harper see the chance to be the top player that a team builds around. 

Also helps the Mariners offered significantly more than the Yankees, who had the second best offer.

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

To say the White Sox won’t be signing someone to a $300 million + contract is not a comment void of logic or reasoning at all. It is almost 5 times more than they have ever spend on a free agent. One of the guys desperately wants to play on the east coast where there is a team with a blank check who wants him. The other guy is represented by Scott Boras, a guy the White Sox have historically not had a really good relationship. The team is also currently awful, and although plays in the 3rd largest market, still has a red headed stepchild existence.

How many teams have given out a 300m dollar contract in the mlb? That line of thought could be used for almost every other team in the mlb. The freaking Marlin's did it. If they would sign a 300m+ contract, any team has the potential to do it.

Edited by Hot FiRe

2 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

He signed Belle, which I mentioned. He retained Jordan, in a different sport/the 2nd most popular athlete in history/the basketball GOAT. He drafted Rose. All your examples are awful and my logic is "garbage." 

They are all fine examples. Our owner has proven he will spend if need be. The Machado and Harper free agencies are almost unprecendented, given their age and ability. Arod is comparable. You will find it difficult to find a comparable historical signing for ANY other team in the MLB. The past has little to do with this IMO. Simply put, the White Sox are in as good of a position as any other team. To write them off with 100% certainty due to the past is ridiculous. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

How many teams have given out a 300m dollar contract in the mlb? That line of thought could be used for almost every other team in the mlb. The freaking Marlin's did it. If they would sign a 300m+ contract, any team has the potential to do it.

Not many. That is why it is not being illogical to think a team that has never even given a $70 million contract, and doesn't have a history of being much of a contender recently, even when trying, will not win this bidding. There isn't a difference between coming in second and coming in last bidding for these guys. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Not many. That is why it is not being illogical to think a team that has never even given a $70 million contract, and doesn't have a history of being much of a contender recently, even when trying, will win this bidding. There isn't a difference between coming in second and coming in last bidding for these guys. 

Except one does give management the excuse of "we tried really really hard and made a very strong offer." 

1 minute ago, maggsmaggs said:

Except one does give management the excuse of "we tried really really hard and made a very strong offer." 

Unfortunately, that is probably where this is headed. It will leak the presentation was great and it was tempting, and the team is going to be great, but..........just like with Tanaka. Just like with Torrii Hunter...

It is hard to sign these guys in the White Sox current state unless you drastically outbid everyone else. That's how the Angels got Pujols, the Rangers got ARod and Seattle got Cano.  Does anyone really think the White Sox will drastically outbid everyone for Machado?

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Unfortunately, that is probably where this is headed. It will leak the presentation was great and it was tempting, and the team is going to be great, but..........just like with Tanaka. Just like with Torrii Hunter...

It is hard to sign these guys in the White Sox current state unless you drastically outbid everyone else. That's how the Angels got Pujols, the Rangers got ARod and Seattle got Cano.  Does anyone really think the White Sox will drastically outbid everyone for Machado?

And if by some miracle they did, would it be worth it? The contract he's going to get just via market-rate will be insane. For the Sox to beat that, financially and with who knows whatever other concessions (opt-outs, etc.), it will probably end up being something that isn't smart.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

I'm damn near 40 and the Sox have signed 1 significant FA in my lifetime. It was in 1997. I'm not even entertaining the idea of signing Harper or Machado. 

Are you not entertaining it because you don't think we will make a true push for them by offering them as much as any other team?  Or are you not entertaining it because you don't think Harper or Machado will want to play for the White Sox, even if we have an offer on the table that is as good as any other team's?

I'm quoting TaylorSt, but this question is also for Dick Allen.