Hahn on The Score this morning

Jack Parkman

24 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Michael Jordan's contract as precedent for a baseball contract is one of the more bizarre arguments I've seen on this site. Like, what? We're comparing resigning the best basketball player to ever live to signing a FA in a totally different sport. 

Plus its a franchise that literally owns its market and is one of the most marketable teams in the world.  You really can't compare the Bulls spending habits (a premier franchise in the NBA) to that of the White Sox (one of the least marketable teams in the big league at this point in time).  

It also allowed Jerry to kind of let Michael explore his (odd) baseball dream, while he still was under his control--laying the groundwork for his return to the Bulls.  In other words...he didn't let Michael go play/develop professional relations with another franchise and risk losing him to another NBA team if he choose to come back to basketball. 

In Jordan's view...who WOULDN'T want to be a part of that 1994 Sox team!!?

On 11/5/2018 at 2:44 PM, TaylorStSox said:

Michael Jordan's contract as precedent for a baseball contract is one of the more bizarre arguments I've seen on this site. Like, what? We're comparing resigning the best basketball player to ever live to signing a FA in a totally different sport. 

I'm talking about the amount he got. Michael got 30m+ for multiple years back in the fricken 90'. Reinseorf forked up unprecedented dollars to the best player in the league for multiple years. I don't think it's unbelievable that he will do the same with these generational talent type FAs. He has shown he can go balls to the wall. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Narvaez was like literally the worst framer in baseball.  I’m not sure this organization understands what the term “framing” really means.

Does anyone ? How can a catcher be a top framer one year and not near the top all the time ? Did he all of a sudden stop framing as good ? I'll always contend and be in the minority  that framing is dependent on pitchers catchers and umpires not necessarily in that order. I have seen countless times in games thread what a bad frame job someone did on a pitch the catcher had to lunge across the zone to catch. A pitch no one can frame well. Good framing means your pitcher can hit or come close to pitching where his catcher sets up. If the cacvher has soft hands with minimal movement it still doesn't guarantee a called strike. That's up to the ump.

Look at all the complaints on the Moncada called 3rd strikes out of the zone . Is that all good framing or is it umpiring  on a young player ? Who can really say ? That's my problem with it.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Does anyone ? How can a catcher be a top framer one year and not near the top all the time ? Did he all of a sudden stop framing as good ? I'll always contend and be in the minority  that framing is dependent on pitchers catchers and umpires not necessarily in that order. I have seen countless times in games thread what a bad frame job someone did on a pitch the catcher had to lunge across the zone to catch. A pitch no one can frame well. Good framing means your pitcher can hit or come close to pitching where his catcher sets up. If the cacvher has soft hands with minimal movement it still doesn't guarantee a called strike. That's up to the ump.

Look at all the complaints on the Moncada called 3rd strikes out of the zone . Is that all good framing or is it umpiring  on a young player ? Who can really say ? That's my problem with it.

I don’t disagree with anything you say here.  I just can’t take Hahn seriously when he talks about coaching up framing when Narvaez was dead last and Castillo got worse in his first year with the Sox.  Yes, I think our rotation is a big reason to blame for that, but I have yet to see much evidence of our ability to coach up framing.

27 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t disagree with anything you say here.  I just can’t take Hahn seriously when he talks about coaching up framing when Narvaez was dead last and Castillo got worse in his first year with the Sox.  Yes, I think our rotation is a big reason to blame for that, but I have yet to see much evidence of our ability to coach up framing.

Tyler Flowers?

17 hours ago, Hot FiRe said:

I'm talking about the amount he got. Michael got 30m+ for multiple years back in the fricken 90'. Reinseorf forked up unprecedented dollars to the best player in the league for multiple years. I don't think it's unbelievable that he will do the same with these generational talent type FAs. He has shown he can go balls to the wall. 

Manny Machado has about as much star power as Leury Garcia. Michael Jordan has about as much star power as the pope. You don't see the difference? 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

Manny Machado has about as much star power as Leury Garcia. Michael Jordan has about as much star power as the pope. You don't see the difference? 

Machado has no star power? Hasn't he been one of the most talked about names in the league for a year now? Wasn't he just in the World Series? I think he's more of a household name than many around here seem to believe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Machado has no star power? Hasn't he been one of the most talked about names in the league for a year now? Wasn't he just in the World Series? I think he's more of a household name than many around here seem to believe.

Here's a list of the 20 players with the most jersey sales in 2018:

1. Aaron Judge, Yankees
2. Jose Altuve, Astros
3. Javier Báez, Cubs
4. Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers
5. Mookie Betts, Red Sox
6. Anthony Rizzo, Cubs
7. Kris Bryant, Cubs
8. Shohei Ohtani, Angels
9. Giancarlo Stanton, Yankees
10. Yadier Molina, Cardinals
11. Mike Trout, Angels
12. Buster Posey, Giants
13. Bryce Harper, Nationals
14. Freddie Freeman, Braves
15. Cody Bellinger, Dodgers
16. Andrew Benintendi, Red Sox
17. George Springer, Astros
18. Francisco Lindor, Indians
19. Carlos Correa, Astros
20. Ronald Acuna Jr., Braves

Notice, only ONE pitcher.  Sale didn't even make the list, neither did Machado.  Obviously, part of it was the fact that the Orioles were the worst team in baseball, and most (sane) fans aren't going to invest in hundreds of dollars for a short-term rental player's jersey.

In 2016 Q ratings, Chicago Cubs slugger Kris Bryant, who’s in his second season, scored highest among active players in appeal among sports fans, with a 25% mark. But his national recognition was 38%.

Harper was more recognizable, at 53%, with 24% appeal, but Trout, his 25-year-old MVP cohort, checked in at 20% appeal.

And all major leaguers lag behind Jeter’s 74% recognition and the 30% appeal of Ken Griffey Jr. and Cal Ripken Jr.

In fairness, Harper, Trout, Bryant and their peers are swimming against a media current vastly different than the one that welcomed Jeter, Ortiz and Rodriguez.

Edited by caulfield12

25 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

I don't think there's more than 5 baseball players that are household names. Machado ain't one of em.