Hahn on The Score this morning

Jack Parkman

11 minutes ago, Buehrlesque said:

And if by some miracle they did, would it be worth it? The contract he's going to get just via market-rate will be insane. For the Sox to beat that, financially and with who knows whatever other concessions (opt-outs, etc.), it will probably end up being something that isn't smart.

The whole point of us wanting the team to spend wisely is so that they can break the bank later when it really makes sense. 

If a 26-year old 5-win position player doesn’t constitute that, I don’t know what will. 

5 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Are you not entertaining it because you don't think we will make a true push for them by offering them as much as any other team?  Or are you not entertaining it because you don't think Harper or Machado will want to play for the White Sox, even if we have an offer on the table that is as good as any other team's?

I'm quoting TaylorSt, but this question is also for Dick Allen.

I think the Sox are in a position where they have to greatly outbid teams. Playing on the Southside isn't very attractive. Nobody wants to play for small crowds in the Second City for the city's other team. I don't think the Sox will outbid other teams considering their history. Nor do I think they should. 

14 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Are you not entertaining it because you don't think we will make a true push for them by offering them as much as any other team?  Or are you not entertaining it because you don't think Harper or Machado will want to play for the White Sox, even if we have an offer on the table that is as good as any other team's?

I'm quoting TaylorSt, but this question is also for Dick Allen.

A. I doubt they will offer as much as some teams who will be more desirable due to location and current team status.

B. Even if their offer is somehow very similar, due to the fact that they suck, and Machado for one seems to really prefer the east coast, I think he says no thanks. 

In other words, they are going to have to blow the Phillies', Yankees', whoever else's offer away. Even the Marlins who could be interested. If he is going to play for a team who sucks, might as well be in his hometown.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

The whole point of us wanting the team to spend wisely is so that they can break the bank later when it really makes sense. 

If a 26-year old 5-win position player doesn’t constitute that, I don’t know what will. 

I'm not necessarily against it. If the Sox somehow sign Machado to a guaranteed 10-year deal that pays him $39 million/year for the first three years before never-ending opt outs happen, it could be a boon. I'm just wary that it will be a bad value overall.

31 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

This is correct. Guys this productive and this young are rarely available in major league free agency. If they have a wad to blow, this is the time. But their other circumstances just don't line up with it being successful. 

13 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

I'm damn near 40 and the Sox have signed 1 significant FA in my lifetime. It was in 1997. I'm not even entertaining the idea of signing Harper or Machado. 

I am over 40 and had never seen a full teardown and rebuild in my lifetime. I'm not even entertaining the idea of a full teardown and rebuild.

^ Me in 2015.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Buehrlesque said:

I'm not necessarily against it. If the Sox somehow sign Machado to a guaranteed 10-year deal that pays him $39 million/year for the first three years before never-ending opt outs happen, it could be a boon. I'm just wary that it will be a bad value overall.

But I don’t think we should be afraid of the deal being inefficient with this type of a player. Because being inefficient is the only way you win the bidding. You don’t get the young superstar on free agency if you aren’t willing to be the highest and thus most inefficient bidder. 

Food metaphor! The Sox have done so well at stripping all the fat from the payroll, getting lean and healthy. This is cheat day. You get to eat cake today because you’ve remained healthy and can handle it without becoming obese.  If you want to stay lean, that’s fine, but you don’t get to eat cake then. 

You’ll never eat cake. Ever again. What kind of life is that?

Edited by Eminor3rd
  • Like 1

Seriously if you are looking for a bargain, signing stars during free agency will get you none. You have to pay up for these guys. It's the only way you will sign them, because at least one team will go crazy.It seems like the Phillies are pretty hellbent on getting at least one of them. 

There is a pretty good chance that year 8 or 9 or 10 or whatever if these guys get that much, are going to be a tough swallow for whoever signs them. If that worries a team, they have no chance.

For me, I would love to let them opt out about 4 or 5 years in. Get their best production and then let them walk. 

Edited by Dick Allen

On 11/4/2018 at 8:22 AM, Hot FiRe said:

Machado, Harper, or Corbin. I didn't propose a bet in that post. Are you proposing a ban bet?

Nope not even sure what a ban bet is. If I lose I wouldn't want to ban myself from posting if that's what it is. Plus I want them to sign a big name. No sense betting against it.

33 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

But your comment was false. Larry Himes tore down the White Sox. 

Off of the top of my head, I wouldn't call them the same thing.  I don't remember there being a lot of trades and a formalized commitment to being bad for a period of time to start over again.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Off of the top of my head, I wouldn't call them the same thing.  I don't remember there being a lot of trades and a formalized commitment to being bad for a period of time to start over again.

They were so bad they created a marketing campaign to ease the minds of fans. 

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It was the same thing. They just didn't have stars. They traded Dotson, Bannister, Deleon, Baines. It was a total rebuild.  They were committed to being bad from when he took over through the 1990 season.  The goal was to have a good team ready for the new park. They arrived a year early. They won 94 games with the lowest payroll in baseball.He kept a few guys like Ozzie and Fisk and Calderon. And as a thank you, Larry was shown the door. 

The reason Hawk got the GM job was because of the state of the the White Sox system. 

Edited by Dick Allen

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

If Belle and Jordan are examples then things are worse than I thought. Belle was signed out of spite and Jordan was the biggest no brainer of sports history bringing guaranteed championships, 

Lmao Belle wasn't "spite".  He was one of, if not the most feared hitter in the league at the time. And the Sox took him away from their division rival which made the signing better.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

What would call the late 90's? That wasn't a teardown? 

Again, bad isn't the same as a teardown.  The closest we have come in my life time to this is the White Flag trade which was 1997, but that didn't involve everyone going out there door, just guys close to free agency.  Albert Belle, Frank Thomas, and Robin Ventura all stuck around.

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Again, bad isn't the same as a teardown.  The closest we have come in my life time to this is the White Flag trade which was 1997, but that didn't involve everyone going out there door, just guys close to free agency.  Albert Belle, Frank Thomas, and Robin Ventura all stuck around.

In 1987 the White Sox traded their top 3 starters for prospects. Then they traded a guy whose number they retired while he was still active for more prospects. It was a teardown.

30 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Lmao Belle wasn't "spite".  He was one of, if not the most feared hitter in the league at the time. And the Sox took him away from their division rival which made the signing better.

The reports are that we over paid him out of spite, and I tend to believe that theory. If there would have been a bidding war for him I doubt we would have gotten him. In 2018, there are bidding wars getting to astronomical levels of money.