Rosenthal: “rival exec believe white Sox will spend big”

bmags

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

Only posting this to say it's notable this is not how Rick Hahn sounds.

Bowden @ the Athletic predicts 10/320 for Harper and 10/310 for Machado

Major money each way, but interestingly suggest that Machado might fit best on a team where he does not have to be the face of the franchise. 

6 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

A front loaded deal would absolutely mean more money for the player. That’s why you so rarely see them. The team knows this, and the players, I think, are typically more driven by the optics of their salary than actually maximizing it. To them, being rich isn’t much different than being a little more rich. 

It’s what makes the pop culture meme of the Bonilla deal so hilarious. It’s seen as a quintessential “LOLMets” move that gets brought up every year to denigrate the franchise, when in reality it’s one of the smartest things they ever did, economically. Basically, someone outbid them for a player they wanted. Instead of spending more than they could afford, they deferred the hell out of their return offer. If they hadn’t done that, they just would have had to pay him way more initially than they really did (or miss out on him). 

The Scherzer deal is going to turn into the same thing. Fans are going to make fun of the nationals for paying him ten million bucks a year not to play for him, when in reality the Lerners got the man they wanted while paying probably $30M less than the sticker price appeared simply by gaming inflation. 

A lot of athletes could use a deferral which resembles an annuity. Oops I'm broke and retired. I don't see 300 for Machado. Maybe if they signed both guys they would want to come here. 

18 minutes ago, pcq said:

A lot of athletes could use a deferral which resembles an annuity. Oops I'm broke and retired. I don't see 300 for Machado. Maybe if they signed both guys they would want to come here. 

Well, sure -- but I doubt they thinking is "I'm going screw up and blow all of my money" is the plan on the day they sign.

I commented in another topic that Sox should seriously consider Jed Lowrie. Guessing 2/yrs. at $12.5/per w/3rd year option. Switch hitter and natural middle IF who has also played third efficiently. Kind of a Zobrist type with more pop (23 HRs and 99 RBIs). Lets see if Yoan can stick at 3rd. If not, Lowrie can cover it. I'm pretty sure I saw he delivered 4.9 WAR last year. Perfect piece for us. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't really believe in the little brother attitude so many have.  These guys likely go to whomever pays them the most.  Are they going to pick the Sox if they're the 5th highest bidder? Obviously not!! But I don't think the Sox need to outbid the next highest team by $25M+ to get them.  

Ask yourself this question...when has 1 of the best players in the league signed with 1 of the worst teams...In any sport?

The only little brother attitude is that the Sox do indeed suck and are not going to attract top tier free agents yet, maybe in 2 years. You’re saying Harper/Machado will take the most $ like there won’t be 4/5 other teams making the same kinds of offers. 

7 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Ask yourself this question...when has 1 of the best players in the league signed with 1 of the worst teams...In any sport?

The only little brother attitude is that the Sox do indeed suck and are not going to attract top tier free agents yet, maybe in 2 years. You’re saying Harper/Machado will take the most $ like there won’t be 4/5 other teams making the same kinds of offers. 

LeBron James this past offseason.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

3 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

LeBron James this past offseason.

Alex Rodriguez when he signed with Texas too...

28 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

In baseball, a lot.

What would be the point of signing just Machado or Harper? If you wanted a “superstar” at one position and garbage around him we should’ve kept Sale. A hell of a lot cheaper than 1 of these 2. 

If the plan isn’t to land both of these guys than scrap this idea. We don’t need a $30 million dollar player to suck 4 games less than we do now.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Love 2

5 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

What would be the point of signing just Machado or Harper? If you wanted a “superstar” at one position and garbage around him we should’ve kept Sale. A hell of a lot cheaper than 1 of these 2. 

If the plan isn’t to land both of these guys than scrap this idea. We don’t need a $30 million dollar player to suck 4 games less than we do now.

Lmao POTW. Awesome post

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

?  Sale got us two blue chip prospects and another guy who’s probably in the top 100 (when we had no farm system).  These guys only cost us money for which we have tons of.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

59 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Brian Campbell was arguably the top UFA when he signed with the Blackhawks

18 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

Your point is well taken. However, doesn't adding one of them and some badly needed pitching, make more sense than trying to add both of them? What is the point of losing a lot of high scoring games?

8 minutes ago, Jake said:

I'd hope we'd have the cajones to front-load the deal so we can take advantage of our payroll flexibility now and retain some going into the future

The thing that sucks about that idea is with opt-outs, they could definitely leave for more if the contract is front heavy.

Edited by soxfan2014

12 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Your point is well taken. However, doesn't adding one of them and some badly needed pitching, make more sense than trying to add both of them? What is the point of losing a lot of high scoring games?

Are you talking pitching out of the free agents right now? I’m not sold on giving any starters in free agency  “big-time” $$$.  

Adding two all-stars solidifying 2 positions in their “prime” years on a team with second lowest payroll is what we should all want. Adding Jimenez with Harper and Machado is going to be a nice 2,3,4 or 3,4,5. Then filling in the gaps with the kids coming up or trading them to fill the other roster spots is what I envision. 

36 minutes ago, fathom said:

And why I think they end up not getting either. It makes little sense to get either if they want an opt out after 3 years 

Machado/Harper won't get both a front loaded contract and an opt out after 3 years. They'll get one or the other. They'll get a shorter term, back loaded deal with a quick opt-out or a longer term, front loaded deal with no opt out. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
Clarity