Rosenthal: “rival exec believe white Sox will spend big”

bmags

30 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They won't get both. They'll get one or the other. They'll get a shorter term, back loaded deal with a quick opt-out or a longer term, front loaded deal with no opt out. 

You’re all over the place dude. 

• Love 1

The White Sox were embarrassed by last year’s season, believing they would at least be competitive in the lowly AL Central, but they aren’t going to spend $300 million on Machado or Harper believing it would be a magical cure-all. They’re not at the point to spend.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2018/11/05/mlb-hot-stove-season-10-burning-questions/1897388002/

Here come wet blanket Bob Nightengale

Edited by Orlando

4 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

This coming from Nightengale makes me feel better about the Sox going all in on Machado/Harper.

While I understand Nightengale's take, I do not necessarily agree with it. We have tons of payroll flexibility, and there is nothing wrong with making a move like this a season or two early. 

If they lose out on Harper/Machado, then Donaldson could be a solid bounce back candidate on a 2-3 year deal? 

39 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Here come wet blanket Bob Nightengale

Nightengale is Kenny's national media mouthpiece. If they seriously think they can get one of Machado or Harper for less than 300 mil they are delusional. If they want to be taken seriously they have to play the market, not undercut it. 

Edited by Sockin

12 minutes ago, Sockin said:

Nightengale is Kenny's national media mouthpiece. If they seriously think they can get one of Machado or Harper for less than 300 mil they are delusional. If they want to be taken seriously they have to play the market, not undercut it. 

I don't read Nightengale tweets like that. He is Kenny's mouthpiece, but he seems to have been used last 3 years to cool market discussion on sox. When there's a tweet that's like "sox are planning on moving quintana", nightengale will say "sox only looking to move him for right offers".

He has basically been an anti predictor for the last 3-4 years with sox after having been a reliable source for a while.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't read Nightengale tweets like that. He is Kenny's mouthpiece, but he seems to have been used last 3 years to cool market discussion on sox. When there's a tweet that's like "sox are planning on moving quintana", nightengale will say "sox only looking to move him for right offers".

He has basically been an anti predictor for the last 3-4 years with sox after having been a reliable source for a while.

I wish I could read it like that. Only reason I don't is because of the whole Cespedes debacle a few years ago. Nightengale kept beating the "Sox won't go over 3 years" drum. I've had a complex ever since ha.

Edited by Sockin

58 minutes ago, Sockin said:

I wish I could read it like that. Only reason I don't is because of the whole Cespedes debacle a few years ago. Nightengale kept beating the "Sox won't go over 3 years" drum. I've had a complex ever since ha.

Cespedes has largely been disappointing, especially getting paid $29 million in 2018 to put up 0.9 WAR

At this point, literally no one should be questioning whether or not the White Sox will be “going for” Machado/Harper, especially the former. 

The question is are they ACTUALLY ready to outbid every MLB team. They’re consistently willing to offer what consensus seems a reasonable, median contract for even big money players - the types of offers that we fans say we are “comfortable with.” Thus far, they have not been willing to say “this is too much for this guy, but I need this guy and so I’m spending it.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

At this point, literally no one should be questioning whether or not the White Sox will be “going for” Machado/Harper, especially the former. 

The question is are they ACTUALLY ready to outbid every MLB team. They’re consistently willing to offer what consensus seems a reasonable, median contract for even big money players - the types of offers that we fans say we are “comfortable with.” Thus far, they have not been willing to say “this is too much for this guy, but I need this guy and so I’m spending it.”

Yep this 100%. They want guys but only on their terms. They refuse to go above what they feel is enough. I hope they prove that wrong this offseason if they truly want one of these guys. 

• Like 1

Yeah.. that was the 'old mindset' at least that's how many of the whitesox reporters are spinning it. From what they are saying now, it seems as if they are ready, willing and able to go beyond their comfort zone for the likes of Harper and/or Machado. But until they finally connect on a big ticketed superstar, I have a hard time trusting that they will actually do it. The 'middle of the road' above average free agent is usually who the White Sox end up with. No offense to guys like Josh Donaldson and Andrew McCutchen, but the White Sox need a big fish, a superstar, the coup de gras of free agents. A guy who will be the face of this next generation of white sox baseball. Go get him, Rick Hahn- shock the freakin baseball world! 

13 minutes ago, Sockin said:

Yep this 100%. They want guys but only on their terms. They refuse to go above what they feel is enough. I hope they prove that wrong this offseason if they truly want one of these guys. 

Edited by GreatScott82

1 hour ago, Eminor3rd said:

Could not have said this any better myself.

• Thanks 1

Let's pin this post at the top of the site.

• Thanks 1

Obviously, the money was different back in the day, but the first big name they signed, they did exact that. They gave Carlton Fisk 3 years. When JR talks about it, he said Roland Hemond figured Fisk had 2 good years left, but they thought paying him the extra year was worth the credibility. Ob course, he lasted a decade longer. 

• Like 1

Good post

At the end of the day, none of us know what will motivate Machado/Harper to sign. Is it max dollars? A team they always wanted to play for? Big market? Smaller market? 

Money tends to talk, but in this scenario the players are getting paid big time no matter what. It might be less about $.

• Thanks 1

Does anyone else wonder if Machado and Harper will be in communication during this free agency process? Similar to what Lebron, Wade and Bosh did back in 2010.... hmmm.  What other teams can afford both guys? Phillies and Reds? 

Edited by GreatScott82

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Obviously, the money was different back in the day, but the first big name they signed, they did exact that. They gave Carlton Fisk 3 years. When JR talks about it, he said Roland Hemond figured Fisk had 2 good years left, but they thought paying him the extra year was worth the credibility. Ob course, he lasted a decade longer. 

Yeah, so we know it’s in JR’s soul somewhere, to be willing to spend to satisfy his desire for a guy/to win beyond what makes business sense. 

But you’re right, the money has changed drastically since then, way ahead of inflation. It makes you wonder if the revenue increase and the player salaries increase have kept a similar pace or if one is ahead of the other. 

2 hours ago, GreatScott82 said:

Does anyone else wonder if Machado and Harper will be in communication during this free agency process? Similar to what Lebron, Wade and Bosh did back in 2010.... hmmm.  What other teams can afford both guys? Phillies and Reds? 

No because the same team isn't going to give out the 2 biggest free agent contracts in one off-season. I'm amazed that people keep misinterpreting the headline.

Edited by soxfan2014

2 hours ago, GreatScott82 said:

Not really. Lebron, Bosh and Wade were friends and had a plan.

I dont think Machado and Harper care at all about eachother.