Morosi: White Sox interested in "both Machado and Harper"

Jose Abreu

Have the Sox fallen so far, that the Tribune literally hasn't had a writer come up with anything relative to the news out there. I'd have thought this would have been the type of thing you'd have seen some beat guys start to talk about/discuss.  

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

Have the Sox fallen so far, that the Tribune literally hasn't had a writer come up with anything relative to the news out there. I'd have thought this would have been the type of thing you'd have seen some beat guys start to talk about/discuss.  

I do not think the Tribune has a White Sox beat writer.

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

That is more of an indictment on the trib. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

We saw an opportunity to accelerate the rebuild, and were aggressive, but ultimately the price did not make sense for us.  We will continue to explore every opportunity to make our team better, with the ultimate goal of sustained winning, and multiple championships. 

Uncanny.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Unfortunately the trib sports section has been gutted. Poor Paul Sullivan is doing the job of like 10 reporters, a few beat writers sharing teams.

Luckily the athletic picks up a lotta slack. 

Give them each $50 mill/year for the first 5 years with an opt out at 5 (ensuring they take the opt out since the final 5-7 years would be significantly less per year).

The Sox payroll would still be low even with this because there’s no one else making anything significant.

This allows the Sox to have the flexibility to pay Moncada, Kopech, Eloy, etc in 2023.

It also allows them to be a BEAST for the next 5 years.

Who says no?

Edited by soxfan49

32 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Give them each $50 mill/year for the first 5 years with an opt out at 5 (ensuring they take the opt out since the final 5-7 years would be significantly less per year).

The Sox payroll would still be low even with this because there’s no one else making anything significant.

This allows the Sox to have the flexibility to pay Moncada, Kopech, Eloy, etc in 2023.

Who says no?

I'd maybe push for a 6th year since Eloy, Cease, and several others will hopefully be in their primes and the Sox will be full fledged contenders by that point, but I love your idea.

33 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Who says no?

That would be a terrible decision in my opinion. You are suggesting essentially a 5/250 million deal which is beyond insanity. Where is the upside for the white Sox in a deal like that? 

• Like 1

And another point of view:  MLBTrade Rumors ran a story on the Top 50 Free Agents and who will sign them and for how much.  NONE, repeat NONE were by the White Sox. 

All these writers are just guessing and nobody's opinion is any better than anybody else's.  BTW, with Harper being a Boras client, doesn't that alone rule him out, since Reinsdorf basically hates Boras and will not negotiate with any of his clients?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

I’ll believe it when I see it. We have been used one too many times for my liking in Free Agency, not going to get sucked in this offseason 

Oh yes you are.  We all are.  You are here on this message board after one of the most disappointing seasons in Sox history, not because you want to talk about the prospects, but because the payroll is so low that for the first time this shit might be interesting.  

So sit down over here next to me and prepare to be disappointed by the Sox more than you ever have before. 

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

And another point of view:  MLBTrade Rumors ran a story on the Top 50 Free Agents and who will sign them and for how much.  NONE, repeat NONE were by the White Sox. 

All these writers are just guessing and nobody's opinion is any better than anybody else's.  BTW, with Harper being a Boras client, doesn't that alone rule him out, since Reinsdorf basically hates Boras and will not negotiate with any of his clients?

We drafted Carlos Rodon after years of not drafting Scott Boras clients.

34 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

Yeah, but if you saw the chat, they said the Sox are a wild card and they are a reasonable choice on any of the free agents.  

46 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

That would be a terrible decision in my opinion. You are suggesting essentially a 5/250 million deal which is beyond insanity. Where is the upside for the white Sox in a deal like that? 

Completely agree.  There needs to be some benefit for the team.  If you are doing that, make the first 3 years 50 and the second 2 years 15.  That way the team gets some value out of it.  Then after the opt out, front load it again to make it more attractive.  

2 hours ago, steveno89 said:

You have two of the best players in the game on your team? This isn’t rocket science. If the Sox are serious about winning, they’ll be ok bumping their payroll to $180M range in 2020-2024 range. If they aren’t, the “sustained success” model Hahn constantly pushes is a bunch of BS, because they’ll always be searching for lightning in a bottle. 

Top shelf FA don’t sign “value” deals. You just hope they stay healthy and get paid what they’re worth. 

I think our Sox will go after Harper until the bidding gets ridiculous and maybe knowing that will happen, the Sox will go there as well.

What you get for it is a spike in fan interest, more ticket and beer sales in the park and more TV and advertising revenue. ...plus a more competitive team for fans to enjoy.

Go get this guy Jerry.

If the Sox were to acquire Manny and Harper ... a.) I'd eat my words gladly since I felt and still feel we won't be factors in their pursuit.

b.) I would expect us to win. In 2019. Yes I would.

c.) I would bring in Girardi or somebody else who has a plan of winning now with Manny, Harper, Moncada, Abreu, Avi, Timmy. I mean, cmon. No excuses. That's a winning team now.

You pick up a few bargain basement pitchers to go with what we got.

Please get both players, Rick Hahn. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tray said:

Images of Fisk, Luzinski and Leflore acquisitions when JR was just starting out with the Sox.

That almost got it done in 83.

LeFlore was acquired by Veeck right before he handed the keys to the estate over to the current owner in late 1980.  Otherwise, you are right - the exciting, big-name acquisitions of Fisk and the Bull came under the current owner’s watch when he began his tenure as owner some 38 years ago.  Since then, there’s been one and only one “big name” free agent acquisition during the ensuing 38 years, that of Albert Belle back in the mid 90s.  

So while the cicadas appear more frequently than the White Sox acquiring an A-list talent on the open market, there is some historical precedent for it to happen, albeit on rare occasion.  Let’s hope that sighting of a comet passing occurs this offseason!  

• Like 2

• Tony locked this topic