Morosi: White Sox interested in "both Machado and Harper"

Jose Abreu

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't think anyone has made any promises of any sort.  Of course there is no guarantee. Everyone who follows professional sports should know that though.

Promises of what?

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't think anyone has made any promises of any sort.  Of course there is no guarantee. Everyone who follows professional sports should know that though.

Promises of spending? The front office has stated many times that they will "try to be opportunistic" and will "spend when the time is right to build a winner" 

With Arenado likely to be resigned by the Rockies, when is better than now to go after a premium free agent in his prime? 

The fanbase would be irate if they cried poor with one of the lowest payrolls in the league. I fully expect the organization to try as hard as possible to land a big fish. 

Edited by steveno89
  • Like 1

Just to remind everyone: We also have the #3 pick, in this June's Draft. Hopefully, that will help fill one more piece of the core, for the upcoming window of contention. I'm sure that the front office will not forget to make that part of their pitch.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

Just now, Lillian said:

Just to remind everyone: We also have the #3 pick, in this June's Draft. Hopefully, that will help fill one more piece of the core, fo the upcoming window of contention. I'm sure that the front office will not forget to make that part of their pitch.

Almost goes without saying the Sox will be looking at one of the best college prospects available that they can fast track to aid the rebuild. 

Sox are definitely going to spend some this offseason and substantially either this offseason or next.  All the stars align for it.

1.) They have no payroll moving forward.

2.) Regardless of the prospects hitting their ceiling, this rebuilding effort will bring in bunch of per arb MLB players.

3.) TV deal up after '19.

4.) Cubs' recent prominence. 

5.) Perhaps ownership is preparing to sell the team somewhere in 2020-2022.

11 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Promises of spending? The front office has stated many times that they will "try to be opportunistic" and will "spend when the time is right to build a winner" 

With Arenado likely to be resigned by the Rockies, when is better than now to go after a premium free agent in his prime? 

The fanbase would be irate if they cried poor with one of the lowest payrolls in the league. I fully expect the organization to try as hard as possible to land a big fish. 

A promise that they will land a top FA.  Again, there is no guarantee.  No one has made such a promise.  They have to go through the negotiation process and see what happens.  This isn't OOTP where you just keep making the top offer and win.

19 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Sox are definitely going to spend some this offseason and substantially either this offseason or next.  All the stars align for it.

1.) They have no payroll moving forward.

2.) Regardless of the prospects hitting their ceiling, this rebuilding effort will bring in bunch of per arb MLB players.

3.) TV deal up after '19.

4.) Cubs' recent prominence. 

5.) Perhaps ownership is preparing to sell the team somewhere in 2020-2022.

I havent really wanted to talk about (5) because I think that swings both ways. If they are planning to sell they either want to go all in and have the "best" team to market, or they want to have 0 payroll so that any new owner can do whatever they want.

I think timing also has benefited Sox, because some of the big time teams dont seem to be as willing to throw their money around. 

12 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I havent really wanted to talk about (5) because I think that swings both ways. If they are planning to sell they either want to go all in and have the "best" team to market, or they want to have 0 payroll so that any new owner can do whatever they want.

I think timing also has benefited Sox, because some of the big time teams dont seem to be as willing to throw their money around. 

This is an important point. If the Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, and Jankees(/ozzie) are really out of the bidding, then they have a chance. If those teams sit out, I actually expect the Phillies to end up with one and the other is up in the air. 

First installment for season tickets is due next week. I'm sure the Sox don't mind the chatter. But they need to do something. Attendance has declined from the previous season 11 out of the past 12 years. The only exception was when they significantly slashed ticket prices and tried to win, and it was a minimal increase. Last summer, Forbes had an article about local TV ratings. The Sox were 29th in the league, and lowest among teams based in the US. I really think a guy like Lucas Giolito, one of their higher profiled players, could walk down Michigan Ave wearing a White Sox hat on Black Friday, and not be bothered in the least. You can say everyone will come back when they win, but they had a few good seasons in there where they didn't come back, and more left. And it's now been over a decade of this. 

Whether it will lead to something as radical as this, I doubt. But they have to kick it up a notch.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Great point DA. That's why I think they will go after Harper first. You're going to get a very good player and all of the fame and notoriety that comes with it. Machado may be the better player, but he will not bring that. Harper will also attract more FAs as well. 

With the TV contract up, it is getting to the point from where they would never do it, to maybe they would do it, to they would do it, to they have to do it. They miss out on this class and Arenado signs an extension, what's left that will create any kind of buzz? 

It's really the only thing that to me, makes this somewhat plausible. I just think in the end, it won't happen. They will never have problems having someone take their money. We just need it to be better players.

Edited by Dick Allen

1 hour ago, steveno89 said:

From a payroll flexibility standpoint I am not sure we can justify two mega contracts right now. If the rotation and pen were set, the rest of the roster just needing two big fish to plug and play then maybe you explore going all in? 

Mid market teams do not go out and spend crazy sums

This team will never be good for a sustained period if the Sox max out at $130M payrolls.  If they're serious about this rebuild, they'll get up up $180M-$200M payrolls in 2020-2025, or this whole rebuild was pointless anyway.  

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

With the TV contract up, it is getting to the point from where they would never do it, to maybe they would do it, to they would do it, to they have to do it. They miss out on this class and Arenado signs an extension, what's left that will create any kind of buzz? 

It's really the only thing that to me, makes this somewhat plausible. I just think in the end, it won't happen. They will never have problems having someone take their money. We just need it to be better players.

Well with our lack of a true payroll, there is no reason why we can't front load the hell out of a contract and offer more money overall. We need a really good hitter and a good veteran pitcher. They need to go all in, as it will not hurt them financially while players are available. 

The White Sox Machado smoke started last off-season when they wanted to trade for him.  There seems to be some tangible thought that he is an option for the White Sox.

I also think Machado fits the White Sox fan demographic better then Harper but I have no scientific proof to that.  Harper fits my demographic draw but I'll watch either.  

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

The White Sox Machado smoke started last off-season when they wanted to trade for him.  There seems to be some tangible thought that he is an option for the White Sox.

I also think Machado fits the White Sox fan demographic better then Harper but I have no scientific proof to that.  Harper fits my demographic draw but I'll watch either.  

You mean race? Or?? 

Pretty sure Sox fans just want good players period haha. 

I actually really like a structure like offering an 8 year / $325M to both Harper and Machado with the first 5 years at $50M, next three at $25M, with an opt out after 5 years.  So basically a 5 year $250M deal.  Therefore both players can still hit FA one more time while they're both ~31 assuming they opt out after 5 years.  Sox add $100M to the payroll each year the next 5 seasons, and should still have plenty of money to fill out the roster if they're serious about being good.  

Really no "surplus value" in those contract, but you're never going to sign a superstar FA and get surplus value.  As I've said before, you just hope they stay healthy and you're paying them what they're worth.  Go win a couple a championships in the next 5 years and its all worth it.  This would require Jerry to OK the payroll going into the $180-$200M range, but if he's not willing to do that, then this team was never going to good for long anyway.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I actually really like a structure like offering an 8 year / $325M to both Harper and Machado with the first 5 years at $50M, next three at $25M, with an opt out after 5 years.  So basically a 5 year $250M deal.  Therefore both players can still hit FA one more time while they're both ~31 assuming they opt out after 5 years.  Sox add $100M to the payroll each year the next 5 seasons, and should still have plenty of money to fill out the roster if they're serious about being good.  

Really no "surplus value" in those contract, but you're never going to sign a superstar FA and get surplus value.  As I've said before, you just hope they stay healthy and you're paying them what they're worth.  Go win a couple a championships in the next 5 years and its all worth it.  This would require Jerry to OK the payroll going into the $180-$200M range, but if he's not willing to do that, then this team was never going to good for long anyway.

I'm just not a big fan of that because it handicaps your spending in the short term. If none of the prospects (or not enough rather) take major strides in the duration of those 5 years, you've handicapped your spending. And then assuming they play about level to where they are now, they are gone and we don't even get to take advantage of them making a lesser salary. It really makes no sense to structure 2 deals like that unless you are also willing to go over the luxury tax number  to fix holes.

There's a possibility their deals could be front-loaded, but not that extreme.

Edited by soxfan2014

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I'm just not a big fan of that because it handicaps your spending in the short term. If none of the prospects (or not enough rather) take major strides in the duration of those 5 years, you've handicapped your spending. And then assuming they play about level to where they are now, they are gone and we don't even get to take advantage of them making a lesser salary. It really makes no sense to structure 2 deals like that unless you are also willing to go over the luxury tax number  to fix holes.

You don't think they could field a competitive balance of team with another $100M with all the pre-arb guys the Sox will have?  

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Obviously less front loaded is preferred (like $40M), but trying to brainstorm ideas that these guys would actually accept.  Sure, itd be great to sign Machado and Harper to 10 year $250M contracts!!  WOOHOO.  Yah, never happening.  

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

You don't think they could field a competitive balance of team with another $100M with all the pre-arb guys the Sox will have?  

Some of the guys will pan out and some won't for sure but I'm not counting every single prospect we have to hit their ceilings. Some will, some will be acceptable MLB players and some will suck. I would love for them to be able to spend around any areas they are weak in. Getting one would be amazing. There's no way they are getting 2.

Edited by soxfan2014

The more I think about it, the more I want Harper. Signing him adds a huge left handed power bat into the lineup and solidifies right field long term. If Eloy is as good as advertised, he would occupy left, leaving Robert, Rutherford, Gonzalez, Walker, etc to compete for the center field job. Whoever doesn't win that competition can be traded for positions of need, like a 3rd baseman. Not to mention the star power Harper brings. He would put the Sox back on the baseball map immediately.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

The more I think about it, the more I want Harper. Signing him adds a huge left handed power bat into the lineup and solidifies right field long term. If Eloy is as good as advertised, he would occupy left, leaving Robert, Rutherford, Gonzalez, Walker, etc to compete for the center field job. Whoever doesn't win that competition can be traded for positions of need, like a 3rd baseman. Not to mention the star power Harper brings. He would put the Sox back on the baseball map immediately.

Definitely. It's ridiculous to say that Bryce Harper isn't a fit on a team that lost 100 games and currently has no OF's locked in long-term going forward (minus Eloy but he isn't really here yet).

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Tony locked this topic