Morosi: White Sox interested in "both Machado and Harper"

Jose Abreu

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Harper didn't make sense for them after Stanton.

Harper to the Yankees just does not seem to make much sense. They want to pursue pitching, not add another huge money positional contract at this point.

Edited by steveno89

3 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Danny Boy has no clue and is just throwing things at the wall.

I don't get why the Yankees would do with Andujar if they sign Machado? He's a perfectly good, young, cheap third base solution for them moving forward. 

10 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I don't get why the Yankees would do with Andujar if they sign Machado? He's a perfectly good, young, cheap third base solution for them moving forward. 

Easy. Machado plays SS for a few months and then when Didi is back, there is a rotation in the DH spot. Also, Andujar is a butcher at 3B and can pick up a 1B glove as well. Let's just hope the Yankees buy Corbin and Happ and don't free up much payroll. 

Edit: off the top of my head, I can't think of who else the Yankees are really spending a lot on besides Stanton. I know CC is back at $8m and they re-structured Gardner's contract so he would be making less at $7.5m.

Edit 2: oh yeah....Ellsbury. I bet Cashman will be working hard to move that some of that contract this off-season.

Edited by soxfan2014

1 hour ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Yup, I think those 2 scenarios are the "aim" of the offseason for the White Sox. It offers a lot of potential now and for the future.

I also think the W'Sox are serious about both of them, I mean, if you can get both of them you just do it and don't worry about the rest of the roster reconstruction. These 2 players are dynamic generational talents entering their primes and immediately turn the Sox into a sensation. My mouth waters just thinking about that. 

Just to be accurate they are not entering their primes.  I don't see how you could expect either one to have better seasons than they have already put up the last five years. I'd say they are and have been in their primes with a reasonable expectation to continue those kinds of years for another 3-5 years.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Just to be accurate they are not entering their primes.  I don't see how you could expect either one to have better seasons than they have already put up the last five years. I'd say they are and have been in their primes with a reasonable expectation to continue those kinds of years for another 3-5 years.

Huh? The primes for baseball players generally are the age 27-28 seasons. It's very reasonable that both Harper and Machado put up their best numbers in the next 2-3 years. 

1 hour ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Huh? The primes for baseball players generally are the age 27-28 seasons. It's very reasonable that both Harper and Machado put up their best numbers in the next 2-3 years. 

I don't mean to contradict you. It's just it highly debatable when exactly a baseball players prime is and how long it lasts.  If age 27 is truly entering their primes what would you call all their fantastic seasons before ? Harper had his best season by far at age 22. If that turns out to be his best season of his career wouldn't you then say that was his prime ? It's hard to imagine him having an even better year than he did that year. He has had 2 1.000+ OPS seasons  age 22 and 24. If he is entering his prime now at 27 do you expect better seasons or seasons in line with his age 22 and 24 seasons ? These thing vary from player to player. There's been a lot of studies trying to pin down a prime but its all still pretty debatable.

Many time a players prime turns out to be when they were healthiest. That isn't the same thing as when a player reaches a physical peak  combined with the knowledge gained from experiencing MLB for a few years. Things also change dramatically changing leagues or even changing divisions. When you play the majority of your games in one league or division. the pitching is different every year, teams are better or worse. . Some players need an adjustment period . Others do not.

Go look at that age 22 season he had when he was named MVP. 198 OPS + . No other seasons above a 156 OPS+ . I'd sure be happy with a 160+ but don't go expecting him to put up 198 OPS+ just because he's turning 27 and 28.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 hour ago, fathom said:

I saw nothing too damaging. I don't really understand the last paragraph, It looks like more quotes by Showalter but then it has sections of it in brackets. Is that the writer inserting his own translation to gaps that Showalter didnt fill in ? Seems weird to me that if it's a direct quote why use the brackets ?

Yeah sorry for being the wet blanket here but 6 yrs 68 million. That’s the largest contract the White Sox have EVER given a player. 

I will say 0.0 % chance they sign either of these guys much less the insanity talk of both. 

• Tony locked this topic