Morosi: White Sox interested in "both Machado and Harper"

Jose Abreu

On 11/5/2018 at 9:15 PM, Jerksticks said:

Oh yes you are.  We all are.  You are here on this message board after one of the most disappointing seasons in Sox history, not because you want to talk about the prospects, but because the payroll is so low that for the first time this shit might be interesting.  

So sit down over here next to me and prepare to be disappointed by the Sox more than you ever have before. 

As much as I would like to disagree with your comment, I am still following closely guarded trying not to get the hopes up 😂

1 minute ago, DH in the NL said:

These “pitches” are lame as f*ck. Throw $350 million at him and you don’t need a “pitch.”

It works pretty well in college basketball and football recruiting.  Of course so does throwing money at the correct people. You never know. These guys don't know much about the team or the city. This kind of stuff gives them some fluff to absorb. 

1 minute ago, DH in the NL said:

These “pitches” are lame as f*ck. Throw $350 million at him and you don’t need a “pitch.”

Just now, Tony said:

Every team does this. 

Whether you think its lame or not, it would be stupid as hell for the Sox to not put their best foot forward. 

On 11/7/2018 at 11:39 AM, Jose Abreu said:

I love the people who come in this thread with the "I'm smarter than all of you who have actually been paying attention to what the Sox have been doing" approach and then end up saying something that just makes them sound ridiculous 

If you thought I actually meant they have to double the next offer, then you're crazy. I also like how you act like I don't pay attention to the Sox when I have 32,000 or so posts on this board.

I'm being realistic. Bryce Harper isn't coming to the South Side of Chicago to win 70 games a year during his prime.

Edited by Steve9347

Just now, AustinIllini said:

for a small market team or a high potential team like the White Sox, they really won't regret it

I agree. Say the Sox sign Harper, 10/375. Say that for that entire contract, Harper doesn't opt out and slashes .250/.350/.500. Probably would be underwhelming, but .850 OPS production from a left-handed hitter is still good. Is it $37.5 million AAV good?

No, it isn't, and that's why having a marketable player, perhaps the marketable player of baseball, is so important for a team like the White Sox, who play second fiddle to another organization just a few miles north. I don't have enough data at my disposal, nor do I have proper knowledge of each and every factor that Harper would affect, but I would be willing to guess that what we'd "lose" in overpaying for the above production, we would more than gain (from an economic perspective) in increased exposure leading to higher attendance, ratings, jersey sales, and so on. If I were Jerry, I would even consider offering him something crazy like 12/460. The effect such a signing would have on our team would be absolutely crucial from an economic standpoint, and I'm sure the FO realizes this. He doesn't even need to be good. The bright side is that he probably will be great, and better than the slash line outlined above. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Whitesox27 said:

^^^ I agree with this. Although 400 million or whatever amount they would sign him for is a ridiculous sum of money, he would be well worth the investment. Jersey sales, ticket packages, concessions, etc would all increase dramatically if they signed him. Not to mention the marketing opportunities.

eh, I'm sure they're already takingall those things into account, those arent separate things that only happen because you paid him 400 million vs 350 million

On 11/7/2018 at 9:21 PM, SonofaRoache said:

Yankees get Machado

Phillies get Harper

Sox get leftover scraps, but can say they tried to get the big fish. The Bulls have been doing this since Jordan left. 

Change your username, troll

Or at least change your Av to a Cubs logo or something so we know where you stand.

Edited by AustinIllini

7 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

Change your username, troll

Or at least change your Av to a Cubs logo or something so we know where you stand.

No and no. If you actually read my posts instead of one mostly in jest you'd know where I'd stand. But you cannot read, so I wouldn't expect that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

No and no. If you actually read my posts instead of one mostly in jest you'd know where I'd stand. But you cannot read, so I wouldn't expect that. 

Your username highlights the bottom of our White Sox lifetimes.  You're a real piece of work. 

And don't try to play off pessimism as jest.  It's not funny here.  We have enough of that crap on this board.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Real said:

eh, I'm sure they're already takingall those things into account, those arent separate things that only happen because you paid him 400 million vs 350 million

Again we need to stop focusing on the total amount of the contract as opt outs will deem that number meaningless. I agree the difference in salary to us would be marginal, and front loading a contract makes things much easier for us. As well as gives Harper or Manny incentive to opt out and redo. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

These two guys will make more money than most countries in the common market. Do we have a chance? And still if we signed one, how close are we given we have little  pitching.  Are they willing to have a crap 2019, waiting for 2020 when Cease, Dunning, Eloy  are ready and Kopech is healthy? Just dunno 

Edited by kwolf68
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

These two guys will make more money than most countries in the common market. Do we have a chance? And still if we signed one, how close are we given we have little  pitching.  Are they willing to have a crap 2019, waiting for 2020 when Cease, Dunning, Eloy  are ready and Kopech is healthy? Just dunno 

Hahn has already said they are going to get pitching. Need innings for starters and bullpen help. 

• Tony locked this topic