Morosi: White Sox interested in "both Machado and Harper"

Jose Abreu

12 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Aren't those two players exactly what Cleveland sent for Andrew Miller? So that plus a minor piece gets Kluber now? Unlikely.

I was very unclear writing that, but I'm not suggesting adding a minor piece. In my above post I added Andjuar. 

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

I was very unclear writing that, but I'm not suggesting adding a minor piece. In my above post I added Andjuar. 

Andujar may not be a minor piece, but that doesn't mean he's a good fit for Cleveland. Trading away Kluber  makes them a lot worse right now and Andujar isn't a good fit at either 1b or 3b for them next year with Ramirez and EE. Can he be moved to 2b?

Anyway, if I was Cleveland, the conversation would start with Torres, and the Yankees won't do that.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Andujar may not be a minor piece, but that doesn't mean he's a good fit for Cleveland. Trading away Kluber  makes them a lot worse right now and Andujar isn't a good fit at either 1b or 3b for them next year with Ramirez and EE. Can he be moved to 2b?

Anyway, if I was Cleveland, the conversation would start with Torres, and the Yankees won't do that.

Doesn't Jo-Ram play 2b well? 

1b EE or other

2b Jo ram

3b Andujar

SS Lindor

17 hours ago, greg775 said:

If you are objective, that was a great article and I fully agree. It's not even close to who the Sox should sign IMO if they need to pick one of the two.

They don't need to pick one of the 2 . They go after both and sign whoever agrees to sign with us, then break off negotiations with the other.

I can’t see the Yankees on either of these guys, unless one of them decides to give a very substantial discount to get there. Machado makes sense at first glance, but IMO, Torres is the SS of the future. They’ll spend on pitching instead and give Andujar another year to develop. 

If Andujar still can’t field, well, Arenado would be a nice backup plan. 

https://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20181111/why-the-white-sox-could-be-contenders-for-harper-machado

They do have plenty of money to spend as the rebuild progresses, but the most lucrative contract in White Sox history is the six-year, $68 million deal Jose Abreu agreed to before the 2014 season.

Going from that to 10 years and $300 million for either Harper or Machado does not seem remotely plausible, but let's go back to SoxFest in January.

General manager Rick Hahn was asked about the White Sox's willingness to eventually spend big, and his answer was both revealing and defiant.

"I can certainly assure you the resources will be available," Hahn said. "Can I assure you we're going to be able to convert on every target? No. Unfortunately, it's a going to be a robust and competitive market.

"I get that question a lot, and I get it, because it would seem to break with our past practice to be aggressive or be at the top of the market. Maybe the last time this organization did it was probably Albert Belle (five years, $55 million in 1996), well before my time.

"But I would say over the last 18 months we've sort of busted a lot of the myths about how the White Sox go about their business. There was certainly a lot out there that the Chicago White Sox would never rebuild. Obviously we did. There was a lot written a year ago that we would never make a trade with the Chicago Cubs, even if it made us better. And obviously we did.

"Additionally, people touted that we would never incur a significant tax or penalty in order to sign a player like we did with Luis Robert. Each of those steps along the way reinforced this process and put us closer to being in position to win championships.

"Being competitive in free agency and targeting big-ticket items and hopefully converting on them is going to be the next logical step when the time is right. Anyone who doubts that this organization will break from past perception or past process, I think the evidence is there over the last year that the old standard has fallen apart."

Is the "time right" for the Sox to make a big splash in the free-agent pool? Personally, I think it happens after the 2019 season, but don't sell Hahn and the White Sox short this winter.

14 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Hopefully he wants to move to the AL and play for a Chicago team.

If the Cubs are truly involved and put up a competitive offer I see him going there. Only way he comes here is if our offer is far and away the best IMO.

Edited by Sockin

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Based on this quote and everything we've seen in the market so far, it's really got to be only two teams: Phillies and the White Sox.

Nats: Nats are out since they have a full OF and are ready to move on. I just don't see it happening.

Braves: I can't imagine the Braves going out and spending that big for an OF that, while useful to them, is not needed... they can fill their team out with many more pieces for the $$$ that harper would demand. It's too risky for them to put their eggs in one basket with Harper since their team is pretty damn good right now. 

Cards are a potential spot, but haven't heard anything signaling that they will be going for Harper. I think they look elsewhere. 

I don't get how the Cubs could afford it with the luxury tax and all... and all their young guys that they will have to sign soon. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I think the Nats 10/300 offer is, essentially, going to stay on the table all offseason, even if only unofficially. 

If im right about that, there’s little reason for Boras not to drag the thing out all the way to the end. 

What is interesting is one of the teams in the mix (The White Sox) will drop out if they get a big deal done with Machado which will reduce the field for Harper.  I would imagine the Phillies might be in the same boat if they can move Carlos Santana like they want to.  Either way, that makes one less team to be able to spend if Machado signs with them.

One issue Boras may have dragging this out is contenders need to make moves. They all can't hold aside the money they would give Harper all winter. If they missed out, they would really be behind the 8 ball. So that seems to be one advantage the Sox may have, although the Phillies seem to also be able to wait it out. And probably the Nats as well. I wonder about the Braves. 

I think if Machado doesn't sign with the Phillies they are going to blow everyone away for Harper.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

One issue Boras may have dragging this out is contenders need to make moves. They all can't hold aside the money they would give Harper all winter. If they missed out, they would really be behind the 8 ball. So that seems to be one advantage the Sox may have, although the Phillies seem to also be able to wait it out. And probably the Nats as well. I wonder about the Braves. 

I think if Machado doesn't sign with the Phillies they are going to blow everyone away for Harper.

I have no idea how these things are going behind the scenes, but if I were the White Sox and I were after Machado, I would have an offer on the table for him that was at least a competitive offer right now. He might not be ready to sign right now, but if there's a $300 million offer on the table for him right now, and better ones don't come around in the next week, he might well either accept or counter-offer with an acceptable total amount and we could walk away with this done in November. These 2 sides have to understand exactly what you said as well. Boras won't care because it's not his style, but Machado's agent might.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I’m sure this has been discussed before, but remind me how Machado’s position factors into all of this. Is he only willing to play SS? Would we want to sign him with the understanding that he’d be playing 3B? Or is all of that still up in the air?

We don't know 100% for sure and it could play a role in his eventual destination. The general line of thought was that the reason he wanted to play SS this year was so that he could maximize his value when he hit free agency so that teams who need a SS could still go after him, but if a team wanted him to play 3b and that team paid him the most money he'd play 3b, but no one truly knows what's in his head.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I’m sure this has been discussed before, but remind me how Machado’s position factors into all of this. Is he only willing to play SS? Would we want to sign him with the understanding that he’d be playing 3B? Or is all of that still up in the air?

Unless another team is offering similar money and says he is a SS, I would imagine getting him to agree to play 3B shouldn’t be too difficult. But we don’t know that for sure. I am sure with the other stuff, it will be like when Albert Belle signed. Fresh start, no trouble...but he will be the asshole he has always been. He isn’t in Alberts league when it comes to assholes, but he is an asshole. If he is our asshole we won’t mind.

9 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I would offer Machado and Harper identical contracts right now: 10 years and $325 million with an opt out after year 5. The first to accept gets it.

I would offer Harper 10 years $350 million and a no trade. No trade players like but unlike the NHL, they don’t mean too much. It just gives them some control where they are going next, and with a contract this big, it’s limited anyway, See if Boras gives it the time of day. If not, I would move to Machado, and circle back to Harper later if necessary. I also would leak that offer to the world if they turned it down.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I would offer Harper 10 years $350 million and a no trade. No trade players like but unlike the NHL, they don’t mean too much. It just gives them some control where they are going next, and with a contract this big, it’s limited anyway, See if Boras gives it the time of day. If not, I would move to Machado, and circle back to Harper later if necessary. I also would leak that offer to the world if they turned it down.

I'd be cool with that. $350 million should hopefully be enough to get at least one of them to bite. I don't think the market for either of them is as big as people expected it to be.

I gotta admit, I went into this offseason thinking it was way too early to consider looking for a top FA.

But, I look ahead to the 2019-2020 FA crop, and I don't see too much that I'd like, apart from Sale. [At least at a quick glance]:

2019-2020 Off Season FAs

It is ABSOLUTELY the right move to buy a top FA now, given the slim pickings after next season, IMO. I don't know that it'll get done, and I don't hold any real hopes for this Front Office making the right decision in terms of Machado-vs-Harper. But, at least it looks reasonable that they've made the right decision to spend now, rather than after 2019.

• Tony locked this topic