Morosi: White Sox interested in "both Machado and Harper"

Jose Abreu

33 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

What incentive do they have to come here when Harper could go to the Phillies and Machado to the Yankees? They get to win now and don't have to wait, and when you're talking about the largest contract in the history of baseball an extra $25M is marginal at that point. IMO, if others are offering $350M the Sox would have to offer $425M just to get their attention, and probably $25-50M more than that to actually get them to sign. At that point, it is not worth it. 

It would take an A-Rod level overpayment to get them to sign here. 

It took a $60M overpayment in 2000 for A-Rod to sign with the Rangers, it would probably take $100-125M to pull that off in 2019. 

It did not take a $60M overpayment, the Rangers simply negotiated against themselves.  You are absolutely nuts if you honestly think it would take $100 to $125M above the next offer to land one of these guys.  Like do you even think through what you say anymore??

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It did not take a $60M overpayment, the Rangers simply negotiated against themselves.  You are absolutely nuts if you honestly think it would take $100 to $125M above the next offer to land one of these guys.  Like do you even think through what you say anymore??

Yes, I've thought this through and I actually think that. Again, it isn't that I think the Sox don't want to play ball, I just think that the player(whether Machado or Harper) would rather choose a much more favorable situation like the Braves Phillies, Yankees, or even the Cardinals over the Sox. The Sox offer would have to blow the other offers out of the water Texas-A Rod style to even get a seat at the table, IMO. They'll listen to the Sox, but I doubt either player takes them seriously. Even if their market is limited, I just think they'd rather win than be here, and the Sox may play in Chicago but they might as well be playing in Indianapolis rather than Chicago. Their market size is closer to Cleveland or the Twins than the Cubs. 

I just refuse to get my hopes up one bit, and would rather be pleasantly surprised if they land one of them. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

9 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yes, I've thought this through and I actually think that. Again, it isn't that I think the Sox don't want to play ball, I just think that the player(whether Machado or Harper) would rather choose a much more favorable situation like the Braves Phillies, Yankees, or even the Cardinals over the Sox. The Sox offer would have to blow the other offers out of the water Texas-A Rod style to even get a seat at the table, IMO. They'll listen to the Sox, but I doubt either player takes them seriously. Even if their market is limited, I just think they'd rather win than be here, and the Sox may play in Chicago but they might as well be playing in Indianapolis rather than Chicago. Their market size is closer to Cleveland or the Twins than the Cubs. 

I just refuse to get my hopes up one bit, and would rather be pleasantly surprised if they land one of them. 

So if the Phillies offered Harper 10/350 and the Sox offered 10/440, he would say no to the Sox? That’s laughable.

Edited by soxfan49
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

So if the Phillies offered Harper 10/350 and the Sox offered 10/440, he would say no to the Sox? That’s laughable.

I think if the Phillies offered 10/350 and the Sox offered 10/400 he'd choose the Phillies. At 10/425 I think that is enough to choose the Sox, and even then I'm not 100% sure. It might take the $440 that you talked about to get to that point. If Boras got the Phillies to $375 I think that would be enough to choose them, unless the Sox were approaching $475 at that point. 

I think the Sox have to beat the next best by at least $75M to get them to sign. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think if the Phillies offered 10/350 and the Sox offered 10/400 he'd choose the Phillies. At 10/425 I think that is enough to choose the Sox, and even then I'm not 100% sure. It might take the $440 that you talked about to get to that point. If Boras got the Phillies to $375 I think that would be enough to choose them, unless the Sox were approaching $450 at that point. 

No.

Boras client will take the $50mil. The biggest discount i could see is $10 mil total, and even then id extremely doubt it.

Just now, South Sider said:

It's laughable that this guy thinks Boras would let his client sign somewhere for $50 million less dollars. Boras is in it for his big payday too, not just Harper's. 

50 mil at 1-2% isnt much for boras, but no way he sets that precedent for his clients.

If you want to give discounts boras isn't your agent in the first place. You have boras because cash rules everything around me.

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Also, $375 is the most I'd go for either if it goes over $400 I'm out. $400 is insane. 

It’s also insane how much money Harper would bring back to the Sox in terms of season tickets, jerseys, etc. If I could guarantee we get him for $410 right now, I’d take it in a heartbeat. 

15 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

10/400 seems like it gets it done, no?

I think so. $400M might be the magic mark he's going for, He'll ask for more than that ,then settle at $400M. Of course it could be less too but Phillies might just be crazy enough to offer that, not sure the Sox are. Machado might cost less so the Sox will have to decide just how much Harper might mean in extra revenue compared to Machado and who will stay with them longer with regards to opt outs.

49 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think if the Phillies offered 10/350 and the Sox offered 10/400 he'd choose the Phillies. At 10/425 I think that is enough to choose the Sox, and even then I'm not 100% sure. It might take the $440 that you talked about to get to that point. If Boras got the Phillies to $375 I think that would be enough to choose them, unless the Sox were approaching $475 at that point. 

I think the Sox have to beat the next best by at least $75M to get them to sign. 

But that’s 75. You said it’ll have to be 100-125 more.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

The thing with Harper is that he is so young that he could conceivably still be good towards the end of his next contract, even if it's a 10 year deal. Signing him is a no-brainer. Get it done Rick.

You do know Machado is only 4 months older than Harper right ?

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

11 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

But that’s 75. You said it’ll have to be 100-125 more.

The bolded above is my clarification, depending on the dollar amount that is the next best offer. At $350, $75 more gets it done. As the offers go up from there, the dollar amount that the Sox would have to overpay by also goes up.  A $75 overpayment is the minimum amount the Sox would have to go to to get them to sign, and I think that is the most conservative estimate. It might be as much as $125. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Without publicly saying it...Boras is going for $40M+ AAV.  This is the client that can get it.  This is pure ego we are dealing with.  There’s no way 10/375 is not laughed at

I said $400M  rather than $40M AAV  without the laughed at part. The market will ultimately dictate if $400M is enough even if its 10 or 12 years. Either way he beats the highest AAV in the majors right now. If everyone but the Phillies balks at $400M then it's the Phillies. If even the Phillies balk at $400M then it will be less but I still think that's the price Boras is eyeing.

20 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The bolded above is my clarification, depending on the dollar amount that is the next best offer. At $350, $75 more gets it done. As the offers go up from there, the dollar amount that the Sox would have to overpay by also goes up.  A $75 overpayment is the minimum amount the Sox would have to go to to get them to sign, and I think that is the most conservative estimate. It might be as much as $125. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but no way is anyone leaving $75mil on the table. I doubt that Boras would leave 10mil on the table. If Sox offer $10mil more and another team is willing to let Harper walk over $10mil, I guarantee Boras tells Harper to go with the higher offer because it would be insane to miss out on Harper over $10mil over a 10 year period.  Thats $1mil a year, so many garbage playrers get $1mil.  

Edited by Soxbadger

25 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You do know Machado is only 4 months older than Harper right ?

I know but I think Harper's skill set/attitude will age better. We've already seen some character concerns from Machado. I wouldn't be surprised if he mailed it in and became fat and lazy once he lands that big contract.

• Tony locked this topic