Morosi: White Sox interested in "both Machado and Harper"

Jose Abreu

21 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I'd be thrilled with Donaldson as well if the Sox can get Harper too. Injuries are obviously a concern with him but his upside is tremendous. When healthy, he's one of the best hitters in this entire free agent class.

Donaldson on a 1-year deal for him to rebuild value isn't crazy. Maybe like a 1-year $20m deal.

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Donaldson on a 1-year deal for him to rebuild value isn't crazy. Maybe like a 1-year $20m deal.

He will be 33 in December .He probably knows there's a distinct possibility that his building value days might be over . I see him looking  for the longest years deal he can get. A 1 year deal makes him 34 next year looking for a contract.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He will be 33 in December .He probably knows there's a distinct possibility that his building value days might be over . I see him looking  for the longest years deal he can get. A 1 year deal makes him 34 next year looking for a contract.

He seems like a perfect fit for the Cardinals.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Donaldson has had lower body injuries the last two years that really impacted his ability to hustle down the line.  Just like with Machado, it would be quite interesting to see how Ricky gets along with him.

To me, this is a big red flag.  I get that peak Donaldson would be a huge signing, but there are some warning signs on the horizon these last two years.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Earlier in the year he was projected to get around 4/5 years. He could take a one year deal to play for a 2-4 year deal next off-season.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

To me, this is a big red flag.  I get that peak Donaldson would be a huge signing, but there are some warning signs on the horizon these last two years.

I'd rather make a $40 million mistake on donaldson than go after someone like jed lowrie or marwin gonzalez hoping to match their career years.

SSS, but he did hit with a .940 ops. He also has a relentless drive to improve. He may not be MVP candidate donaldson, but he's still a much better chance at .900 ops.

I just tore down marwin gonzalez but i don't know, i see the benefit there too.

4 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Earlier in the year he was projected to get around 4/5 years. He could take a one year deal to play for a 2-4 year deal next off-season.

Personally I don't believe that projection/.Is it possible , yea sure it is. Probable ? I doubt it. Guess it all depends on how much he is willing to bet on himself rather than look at it pragmatically.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'd rather make a $40 million mistake on donaldson than go after someone like jed lowrie or marwin gonzalez hoping to match their career years.

SSS, but he did hit with a .940 ops. He also has a relentless drive to improve. He may not be MVP candidate donaldson, but he's still a much better chance at .900 ops.

I have no interest in the lesser guys.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Personally I don't believe that projection/.Is it possible , yea sure it is. Probable ? I doubt it. Guess it all depends on how much he is willing to bet on himself rather than look at it pragmatically.

There is always, of course, a possibility that a team would take him on a 3-year deal. I personally would probably still gamble on him at that as he can get some rest in the DH spot often as well.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't think 3 is too drastic, 4/5 is though. Rather it be 2.

2/$40M would be ideal, but I could convince myself to go three years.  The nice thing about Donaldson is the bat should be playable at 1B/DH if a young, controllable 3B suddenly becomes available and/or Madrigal forces his way into the picture fairy quickly.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

2/$40M would be ideal, but I could convince myself to go three years.  The nice thing about Donaldson is the bat should be playable at 1B/DH if a young, controllable 3B suddenly becomes available and/or Madrigal forces his way into the picture fairy quickly.

I've vacillated on how much he could be worth and I really haven't come up with a number. Originally 2/$40M seemed high to me given his recent injuries and age. Fathom mentioned lower body injuries but the main one I remember is his shoulder, Maybe it'll take $40M given his name recognition and former greatness. I'd still prefer 2/30-35 .

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'd hate having Harper signed and Donaldson at 3b and bypassing any bidding on Arenado because we had already spent the money/half filled the position.

I would put odds that arenado hits market pretty low. Odds that he hits market and white sox sign against the field even lower. It's a risk I'd take.

43 minutes ago, bmags said:

Could sign both of them. Even in a down year Gonzalez was 2.5bWAR. Pretty versatile guy, Donaldson gets injured you have a quality backup otherwise Gonzalez can play pretty much any position on the diamond competently except CF and catcher. Of course now with all these FA's you're talking about a massive roster turnover but thats not a huge concern of mine considering last years roster.

40 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'd hate having Harper signed and Donaldson at 3b and bypassing any bidding on Arenado because we had already spent the money/half filled the position.

RF: Harper

3B: Arenado

1B: Donaldson

Gone: Abreu

Like I side in my previous post, Donaldson’s bat is good enough to move to 1B if we’d like to add an Arenado type.

• Tony locked this topic