Morosi: White Sox interested in "both Machado and Harper"

Jose Abreu

7 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yes it is very hard to tell but even if it is another $200 M I don't see that as being crippling especially with a better TV deal while also phasing out those lesser FA's. Who knows maybe the past few years and a new Tv deal  will allow the Sox  a bigger payroll in the future.

2 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

My post I'm quoting sniffs around the idea that the Sox rebuilding the past 2 years might've saved some money and along with a new TV deal after the 2019 season might allow for a higher payroll.

The other post I'm using by Levine isn't about Harper/Machado . That's old news. What I found more interesting was this part of the article.

The Walt Disney Company owns more than 70 percent of MLB streaming rights going forward through its stake in BAMTech, a source said. BAMTech is a subsidiary of MLB Advanced Media that oversees the streaming technology and distribution. MLB will retain a small percentage of this joint venture.

For the right to that content, Disney paid each MLB club $68 million over the past two offseasons.

So over the last 2 seasons the Sox along with every other team got $68M which just so happens to coincide with the 1st 2 years of our rebuild, Now other teams got the same thing and many more than likely used that money in some fashion for payroll or whatever. Maybe the Sox used there's to pay for Robert . I don't know.

I do know I find it a very interesting plot twist. Anyone else got any ideas on this ? I know this isn't the 1st time we've heard about this but it's something to keep in mind.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
interesting instead of interest

9 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

My post I'm quoting sniffs around the idea that the Sox rebuilding the past 2 years might've saved some money and along with a new TV deal after the 2019 season might allow for a higher payroll.

The other post I'm using by Levine isn't about Harper/Machado . That's old news. What I found more interesting was this part of the article.

The Walt Disney Company owns more than 70 percent of MLB streaming rights going forward through its stake in BAMTech, a source said. BAMTech is a subsidiary of MLB Advanced Media that oversees the streaming technology and distribution. MLB will retain a small percentage of this joint venture.

For the right to that content, Disney paid each MLB club $68 million over the past two offseasons.

So over the last 2 seasons the Sox along with every other team got $68M which just so happens to coincide with the 1st 2 years of our rebuild, Now other teams got the same thing and many more than likely used that money in some fashion for payroll or whatever. Maybe the Sox used there's to pay for Robert . I don't know.

I do know I find it a very interesting plot twist. Anyone else got any ideas on this ? I know this isn't the 1st time we've heard about this but it's something to keep in mind.

Took me a while to find it but here's the original thread on the thing (Seriously, the search suggests rather than search for "MLB Streaming" you should search for "MLB and streaming" and then it returned every single post that included the word "and".)

4 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

Then find the original thread and let people see what he actually said instead. 

no doubt. I bet with one of his houses as much as anyone, but find the original rant to put it in context. there were many ideas in that one.

14 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

Then find the original thread and let people see what he actually said instead. 

Your wish is my command:

greg775     Posted 

Can the guy play outfield? Catcher actually is a great idea. He doesn't look like a centerfielder to me. He looks like a Manny Sanguillen type old school catcher. Or leave him at ss and assume he'll get better.

As far as entertainment goes on a message board, I have decided potential trade target talk >>>>>>>>>>>>> free agent talk.

this contract stuff has nothing to anchor on aside from difficult to assess opportunity costs.

Hoping for some good trade talk soon.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think he was drafted as a catcher.  Not sure how long that lasted though.

His bat was so good that they didn't want to have him spend 3-4 years developing behind the plate as a catcher, they wanted him called up and in the big leagues as a hitter. They moved him from catcher almost immediately.

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

As far as entertainment goes on a message board, I have decided potential trade target talk >>>>>>>>>>>>> free agent talk.

this contract stuff has nothing to anchor on aside from difficult to assess opportunity costs.

I'd rather talk trades as well. Big game hunting in free agency is a process that will likely drag out well into December at a minimum. 

32 minutes ago, bmags said:

The problem is the White Sox really don’t have any significant vets to deal. Prospects for prospects are interesting trades but really hard for speculation. And I doubt Hahn is going to trade a few of his higher rated prospects for vet at this stage. The Sox blew their wad with trades once Q and the trade with the Yankees went through. Now it is pretty much a waiting game.

Edited by Dick Allen

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The problem is the White Sox really don’t have any significant vets to deal. Prospects for prospects are interesting trades but really hard for speculation. And I doubt Hahn is going to trade a few of his higher rated prospects for vet at this stage. The Sox blew their wad with trades once Q and the trade with the Yankees went through. Now it is pretty much a waiting game.

Yes it is unlikely, but frankly even marginal trades >>> talking about contract opt outs and tax rates.

46 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think he was drafted as a catcher.  Not sure how long that lasted though.

Yes. He was rated as a decent catching prospect as I recall. However, they didn't want to wait for his bat and let his catching skills improve. So they moved hi. To the outfield.

• Tony locked this topic