Morosi: White Sox interested in "both Machado and Harper"

Jose Abreu

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Because he gets an additional $200 million guaranteed and then negotiates another 3 year opt out so that he has one more chance to hit the market at age 32?

So the market is going to go from 3/160 for a 26 year old superstar to 3/200 for a 29 year old superstar in 3 years? Doubtful.

3 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

So the market is going to go from 3/160 for a 26 year old superstar to 3/200 for a 29 year old superstar in 3 years? Doubtful.

Inflation!

Of course, there could also be another recession that hits team’s bottom lines, but the general trend line is usually going to upwards...especially if he produces like expected and big market teams like NYY, LAA, Boston and LAD are interested in bidding.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Inflation!

Of course, there could also be another recession that hits team’s bottom lines, but the general trend line is usually going to upwards...especially if he produces like expected and big market teams like NYY, LAA, Boston and LAD are interested in bidding.

Not that much in a 3 year period, especially because I think a bid of 10/410, especially structured like that, would be well above market in the first place.

29 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Let’s assume the Sox somehow sign Machado. Would there be any chance they would turn around and trade Anderson to the Yankees for pitching/prospects? Could solve the Yanks SS problem without blowing up their budget.

How much do we really think the Yankees care about blowing up their budget? 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Let’s assume the Sox somehow sign Machado. Would there be any chance they would turn around and trade Anderson to the Yankees for pitching/prospects? Could solve the Yanks SS problem without blowing up their budget.

Seems like a a moot point to sign a guy then trade away player on roster when they are trying to add to it, not subtract part of the future. Machado would be signed to play 3rd which is where they have a hole at. To sign him and trade away anderson is just swapping players and not plugging holes. 

15 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

Seems like a a moot point to sign a guy then trade away player on roster when they are trying to add to it, not subtract part of the future. Machado would be signed to play 3rd which is where they have a hole at. To sign him and trade away anderson is just swapping players and not plugging holes. 

Even if they can get pitching/other pieces?

17 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

How much do we really think the Yankees care about blowing up their budget? 

Not in aggregate but does a team that hit a record number of HRs need a power bat at that price just for half a season? Assume they’d want to spend $ on pitching 

3 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Even if they can get pitching/other pieces?

Not in aggregate but does a team that hit a record number of HRs need a power bat at that price just for half a season? Assume they’d want to spend $ on pitching 

But you just said that Anderson would be traded to the Yankees for pitching/prospects, so you've got the Yankees needing pitching on one hand but then giving up pitching for Anderson on the other. 

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

But you just said that Anderson would be traded to the Yankees for pitching/prospects, so you've got the Yankees needing pitching on one hand but then giving up pitching for Anderson on the other. 

assuming (maybe incorrectly) that the Yanks want impact starters and relievers on day 1 versus higher ceiling prospects where you’d have control and upside. Would that be going backwards if they weren’t ready for ‘19? I suppose, just thinking how you maximize the sum of the parts through trades/FAs.

i don’t follow this as closely as you guys, so it very well may be a stupid idea! 

15 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

If the Yankees REALLY WANT him, the Sox have no shot. NY gives Machado a better chance to win, more marketability and more money. 

Other than the first item, I’m not sure the rest of this is true.  The Sox can offer as much money as anyone.  As for marketability, being the face of the Chicago White Sox is probably better for him than just being another Yankee.

The biggest concern outside of the win now factor is the rumor he simply wants to be a Yankee.  If he’s determined to play there, then there isn’t much we can do win the sweepstakes.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Other than the first item, I’m not sure the rest of this is true.  The Sox can offer as much money as anyone.  As for marketability, being the face of the Chicago White Sox is probably better for him than just being another Yankee.

The biggest concern outside of the win now factor is the rumor he simply wants to be a Yankee.  If he’s determined to play there, then there isn’t much we can do win the sweepstakes.

I don't believe this for a second. There are probably 10 or more yankees that are more famous than Jose Abreu right now.

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't believe this for a second. There are probably 10 or more yankees that are more famous than Jose Abreu right now.

Abreu is the "face" by default, he is not very marketable. The White Sox don't really market individual players. If they signed one of Machado or Harper they would market the hell out of them. 

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don’t disagree with that statement, but that has more to do with Abreu being a low profile star than being a member of the White Sox IMO.

I think Machado would have much stronger endorsement earning potential on the Sox than the Yankees.  I think the national media will use Manny Machado as the face for all their White Sox coverage.  He can honestly own Chicago (at least the south side) if he brings the Sox back to the playoffs.  I guess I see a difference between marketability and being famous.  There is value being the name associated with a major league baseball club.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t disagree with that statement, but that has more to do with Abreu being a low profile star than being a member of the White Sox IMO.

I think Machado would have much stronger endorsement earning potential on the Sox than the Yankees.  I think the national media will use Manny Machado as the face for all their White Sox coverage.  He can honestly own Chicago (at least the south side) if he brings the Sox back to the playoffs.  I guess I see a difference between marketability and being famous.  There is value being the name associated with a major league baseball club.

This isn't the NBA. MLB has done a terrible job marketing their stars. There are only a handful of guys who are really big deals f , and  Machado isn't one of them. He would have about as much impact from a marketing standpoint as Albert Belle, and that was about zero. He's a good player though, and would help the team win. 

12 minutes ago, Sockin said:

Abreu is the "face" by default, he is not very marketable. The White Sox don't really market individual players. If they signed one of Machado or Harper they would market the hell out of them. 

Yeah they could get a local car dealership commercial.

In new york he'd end up on late night couches and cameo appearances in national morning shows. I know more about new york city upcoming weather than chicago. It's not even close, through sheer proximity the marketabiity of new york ball players surpasses any other.

As dick said, this isn't the nba, there is no national brand, so being near the media capital and seen during red sox/yankees rivalries goes really far.

I also don't think it matters. But if Sox try to claim he'd be more marketable in chicago than new york it's just lying through their teeth.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think the media might be very hard on Machado next year. Everything he does could be put under a microscope especially if he's a Yankee. In Chicago he might escape the harsher spotlight. Let's face it , right now he is a marked man and is a villain in the publics eyes.

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah they could get a local car dealership commercial.

In new york he'd end up on late night couches and cameo appearances in national morning shows. I know more about new york city upcoming weather than chicago. It's not even close, through sheer proximity the marketabiity of new york ball players surpasses any other.

As dick said, this isn't the nba, there is no national brand, so being near the media capital and seen during red sox/yankees rivalries goes really far.

I also don't think it matters. But if Sox try to claim he'd be more marketable in chicago than new york it's just lying through their teeth.

Sorry I'm not saying the media opportunities are comparable to Chicago, I don't think anyone can make the argument. Just saying the White Sox don't really even attempt to market their players on a bigger stage and that Harper/Machado would change that. I think one of the main reasons they want these guys is to raise their profile a little. 

5 minutes ago, Sockin said:

Sorry I'm not saying the media opportunities are comparable to Chicago, I don't think anyone can make the argument. Just saying the White Sox don't really even attempt to market their players on a bigger stage and that Harper/Machado would change that. I think one of the main reasons they want these guys is to raise their profile a little. 

Yeah I think, as chisoxfn pointed out, sox pitch will definitely include how they plan to market a harper or machado, and that effort will far surpass anything they've done since I've been alive. 

But baseball has just been impossible to create stars in. Freakin david ross has been baseballs biggest success story recently to be honest, though Aaron Judge certainly had his moments.

• Tony locked this topic