Morosi: White Sox interested in "both Machado and Harper"

Jose Abreu

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We should be able to produce a $150M payroll with ease after all this national TV money.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Harper just looks like a natural fit in a Sox uniform.  At this point, I’m hoping the Phillies prioritize Machado and leave us as the favorites for Bryce.  Outside of Philly, I’m not sure there a bigger threat to sign him than us.

The Nats. They were willing to go to $300 million. So, if the time game where it looked like he was leaving town, I would expect a better effort. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

The Nats. They were willing to go to $300 million. So, if the time game where it looked like he was leaving town, I would expect a better effort. 

$300 million with zero opt-outs isn't a serious offer IMO. It's more of a "hey look, we tried" thing for the fanbase, as he obviously wouldn't accept a deal without any opt-outs unless the total money was outrageous 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

$300 million with zero opt-outs isn't a serious offer IMO. It's more of a "hey look, we tried" thing for the fanbase, as he obviously wouldn't accept a deal without any opt-outs unless the total money was outrageous 

It's a start. They knew unless their offer was nuts, he was going to be a free agent. They can wait. They have the most to lose, and have worked well with Boras previously.  Apparently one issue Harper had with it was not the lack of opt outs, but the lack of a no trade. 

Edited by Dick Allen

11 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Their OF is full anyway with Robles and Soto having their first full seasons next year. They're both studly, so that would lessen the sting a lot for Nats fans anyway. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Their OF is full anyway with Robles and Soto having their first full seasons next year. They're both studly, so that would lessen the sting a lot for Nats fans anyway. 

Also worth noting - the Nats payroll was $180 million to start the year last year during a rough year. Right now, without Harper, they already have $160 million-ish committed for next year.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Also worth noting - the Nats payroll was $180 million to start the year last year during a rough year. Right now, without Harper, they already have $160 million-ish committed for next year.

Also, if Soto and Robles are as good as most think they are they won't miss him much anyway, and that money could be used to shore up their bullpen and rotation. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Also, if Soto and Robles are as good as most think they are they won't miss him much anyway, and that money could be used to shore up their bullpen and rotation. 

Or they could trade someone to shore that up. Losing Harper would be a blow, especially with ownership with very deep pockets.

28 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

It is for those reasons about the Nats that I think the White Sox are one of 2 serious contenders. However I'd guess that the Phillies have around a 50% chance while we're closer to 25%, with the other 25% being the field.

I’d put Harper’s odds at:

• Phillies = 50%
  • White Sox = 30%
  • Field = 20%

I’d put Machado’s odds at:

• Phillies = 40%
  • Yankees = 30%
  • White Sox = 20%
  • Field = 10%

Just now, Orlando said:

@georgeofman: While the Sox are serious about Harper and Machado, a more realistic option could be Yasmani Grandal. @WBBMNewsradio

I can confidently say that as Sox fans, we would hate Grandal (and yes SS2K, I hate everyone on the Sox).  I do know the Sox liked him as a prospect coming out of college.

• Tony locked this topic