Morosi: White Sox interested in "both Machado and Harper"

Jose Abreu

7 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Not signing Harper/Machado could be a blessing is disguise, as the contracts will almost assuredly become burdens down the line. I'd much rather heavily load a 4-5 year deal if possible. 

Yeah, there is just about literally no way a 10-year contract could work out for the Sox. If Harper/Machado bypass their opt outs, that means they are underperforming and overpaid. Best case scenario is they set the world on fire for the Sox, opt out and then become some other team's problem if their performance falls off into their 30s.

Just now, Sockin said:

This is kind of how I feel. Making a "big" signing or trade before getting into Harper negotiations would probably play a little better. 

Who is available via "Big trade" right now?

Also, I read "Big trade" as having to part with one or two of: Madrigal/Cease/Robert, which I am not necessarily comfortable with at this point. I'd be ok dealing from the Adolfo/Dunning/Rutherford/Gonzalez tier 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EvilJester99 said:

This kind of has the feel of Lebron picking between teams and the Bulls just waiting and hoping its them..Hope the Sox have backup plans in case. 

Hopefully if we lose to Philly and NYY, we at least make it really f-ing painful for them to win.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They won’t take a 4 to 5 year deal.  And they could become a burden at some point, but at 10 years you’d be getting their age 26 to 35 seasons.  I think both guys can realistically be expected to remain productive through their early 30’s, so hopefully you’re only looking at couple bad years and that’s only if they don’t exercise their opt-out.  We can’t be afraid to take some calculated risks if we ever want to win a championship again.

It would have to be something like $10 million per year more than the best long term offer they got to make it worth while, especially since both are sure to get opt outs anyway.

10 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Who is available via "Big trade" right now?

Also, I read "Big trade" as having to part with one or two of: Madrigal/Cease/Robert, which I am not necessarily comfortable with at this point. I'd be ok dealing from the Adolfo/Dunning/Rutherford/Gonzalez tier 

Goldschmidt is biggest name that comes to mind

Just now, fathom said:

Goldschmidt is biggest name that comes to mind

When it comes to "creative" trades, I am all aboard the idea of taking on the full boat on Grienke to get Goldschmidt with him, and to not pay much for it.  That still leaves you room for another superstar.

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

When it comes to "creative" trades, I am all aboard the idea of taking on the full boat on Grienke to get Goldschmidt with him, and to not pay much for it.  That still leaves you room for another superstar.

I was actually going to throw this same idea in the creative trades thread, but wasn’t sure how I felt about it.  Greinke is still pretty good, but who knows for how long or in a city like Chicago.  It’s no doubt interesting, but very risky IMO.

53 minutes ago, Sockin said:

This is kind of how I feel. Making a "big" signing or trade before getting into Harper negotiations would probably play a little better. 

That’s exactly what I said and was thinking a couple weeks ago. Trade or sign someone first and bring that to the table 

43 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Whenever I get the idea of Grienke, I unfortunately come to the conclusion that the Sox are likely on his "no trade" list. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bigsoxhurt35 said:

That’s exactly what I said and was thinking a couple weeks ago. Trade or sign someone first and bring that to the table 

Sign some people sure, but I’d keep trades to buy low guys for now.  We need a stronger foundation in place at the major league level before we start trading from our minor league depth.

25 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I like the idea of Grienke.  He will probably not be worth all that he gets, but he's still an above average pitcher who I think will age graciously.  This would be a nice use of minimizing prospects (given up) while leveraging payroll flexibility and getting multiple pieces who can make you better now and in the next couple of years.  

Cut Avi

Trade Abreu

($24 million)

Sign Machado/Harper

Acquire Greinke

Acquire Goldschmidt

$40 million + $32 million + 14.5 million = $84.5 million

84.5 million - 24 = $60.5 million in new payroll.

Goldschmidt if you re-sign him probably gets JD Martinez money? So 80.5 million committed until 2021 across 3 players. Not sure with abreu/garcia removed how you project arb for the rest of lineup, but may be tight flexibility wise.

1 hour ago, Soxbadger said:

Whenever I get the idea of Grienke, I unfortunately come to the conclusion that the Sox are likely on his "no trade" list. 

Pretty sure Grienke has publicly stated that he hates Sox Park. Something about it being super dark.  The Sox are most definitely on his no trade list.  

1 hour ago, Eminor3rd said:

Guys really still trying to suggest all-in 2019 moves for the 63 win White Sox 

Yea, I like to think I'm pretty optimistic on the Sox future but if winning in 2019 is priority to these guys (along with money) then Sox ain't getting either. 

• Tony locked this topic