Morosi: White Sox interested in "both Machado and Harper"

Jose Abreu

9 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

I've been slightly souring on Harper lately. The prospect of paying that much to a lousy fielder/potential 1st baseman frightens me. 

His defense hasn't had any effect on my thinking.  You aren't paying for his defense.  You are paying for the bat.  You are paying for the power and the on base skills.  You are paying for a change in philosophy.  You are paying for a splash.  You are paying for dingers.  You are paying for the marketing.

And to me, that is fine.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

I've been slightly souring on Harper lately. The prospect of paying that much to a lousy fielder/potential 1st baseman frightens me. 

His defense was horrible last year by advanced metrics, but prior to that he’s been fine for the most part.  So the question is that a sign of things to come or just a blip on the radar.  Personally, I lean toward the latter and believe he would be fine in a corner spot playing half his games at the Rate.  1B would be more of a fallback option years down the road IMO.

24 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I know others have disagreed when I mention Harper playing 1st base because of his poor OF play and the future OF's we have in our system . I recently found this

https://www.mlb.com/news/bryce-harper-could-play-first-base/c-300343118

Looks like a ploy to gain more interest from other teams (Yankees aren't exactly set at 1B like they are the OF, for example).

11 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

His defense hasn't had any effect on my thinking.  You aren't paying for his defense.  You are paying for the bat.  You are paying for the power and the on base skills.  You are paying for a change in philosophy.  You are paying for a splash.  You are paying for dingers.  You are paying for the marketing.

And to me, that is fine.  

This is exactly what I've said all along.  Give me that 1.000 OPS again. If playing 1st base helps that I'll take the LH  bat at GRT any time.

8 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Looks like a ploy to gain more interest from other teams (Yankees aren't exactly set at 1B like they are the OF, for example).

I think it's more of an I'm not just an OF , I'm a team player kinda thing . Yes I'm sure it's mostly aimed at the Yanks because they have always preferred a LH 1st baseman because right field is a HR hitters pasadise.

3 hours ago, turnin' two said:

And to me, that is fine.  

The epitome of “godsend” for this organization at this time.  

3 hours ago, Sockin said:

It's a safe assumption that the White Sox are not going to be seriously thought of as a contender unless they  shock everyone with a big signing. At best, they are a team that can drive the price up (at best considering most analysts that I have heard don't believe Reinsdorf would put the money needed to land one of these guys).

2 minutes ago, spiderman said:

It's a safe assumption that the White Sox are not going to be seriously thought of as a contender unless they  shock everyone with a big signing. At best, they are a team that can drive the price up (at best considering most analysts that I have heard don't believe Reinsdorf would put the money needed to land one of these guys).

I think even the posters who mentioned signing both don’t really believe they will sign one until it actually happens.

6 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I think even the posters who mentioned signing both don’t really believe they will sign one until it actually happens.

That’s how I’ve been this entire time. I hope they’re very aggressive but I don’t see either guy really having a desire to come here. If Hahn bags his elk, he’s one helluva big game hunter.

On 11/21/2018 at 9:12 AM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

This is exactly what I've said all along.  Give me that 1.000 OPS again. If playing 1st base helps that I'll take the LH  bat at GRT any time.

Harper exactly 900 career ops . First season to reach 100 rbi had 99 before. How old-timerish. Wondering if lob is still relevant. Some say lob and rbi are random events. 

3 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

There is no mental side of the game apparently 

Just trying to get with the program. I struggle to find a consensus of what input matters and to what extent but I surmise that each team has its own approach. Theo of course is the Almighty. 

18 hours ago, Moncada said:

So, any new news or tidbits on the Haper/Machado watch 2018 version?

After some initial excitement, everything since has re aligned to the prior presumption that the Phillies and Yankees will sign them in some order.

Don't you wish baseball would get away from the chase of the money.  Why can't a player go to a team bc he likes the city, the players, the coaches, and wants to win for that team.  

Take less money but enjoy your career.  It doesn't have to always be about who will pay the most money, it shouldn't be.

26 minutes ago, Moncada said:

Don't you wish baseball would get away from the chase of the money.  Why can't a player go to a team bc he likes the city, the players, the coaches, and wants to win for that team.  

Take less money but enjoy your career.  It doesn't have to always be about who will pay the most money, it shouldn't be.

For the same reasons teams manipulate service time and argue about every penny in arbitration. Neither teams nor players are loyal to each other, it is a business.

5 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Will it not come down to the highest bidder? I’m sure there’s a number that brings Harper here, but how outrageous are Reinsdorf/Hahn willing to get?

Yes, odds are money will be the biggest driver for both of them.  While I do think Philly is the biggest threat to sign one of these guys, there have been rumors that their front office is a bit uncomfortable spending what it would take to land a whale.  Obviously the owner supersedes all and we know he’s prepared to spend stupidly, but maybe we get lucky and the front office holds their ground at a certain point.  I do truly believe Jerry & Hahn are prepared to offer record breaking contracts for both of these guys, just not sure how far above that they’re prepared to go if a bidding war happens.

• Tony locked this topic