Morosi: White Sox interested in "both Machado and Harper"

Jose Abreu

Just now, EvilJester99 said:

To drop to 40/1 from 60/1.. with no changes in the team. Of course it’s probably dreaming. 

If anyone here listens to 538, they loathe betting markets as probability indicators.

Could be a number of things - Indians seemingly in a teardown, public perception of Sox going for guys, etc.

but it is interesting nonetheless 

Evening fellow sox fans. Here a greek die hard sox fan. Ive been reading the forum fir a long time and wanted to join your company. Heres what i think. Why spend 400 on manny while theres a guy in pacific north that can be a solution? Yes kyle seager. Also another guy i like and is a fit is Carpenter from stlouis can play 3rd 1st dh 2nd and hit leadoff. Thats my take as far as the 3rdbase prob. As far as what else i think hahn should add is pitching pitching. Im not convinced at all about giolitto kopech is 1 and half year to go and our bullpen is terrible. So i would try trade for de grom or thor or sign corbin and add 2 relievers. Miller ottavino or kimbrel ottavino and let our outfielders progress in minors. Sign a 1 year ofer till guys are ready. Sorry for my poor english and im happy to join u guys

• Like 1
  • Love 2

36 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Has any team ever lost 100 games and won the pennant the next season? 

If Cleveland is going to sell everybody and stink, it might be wise to speed the rebuild and take it if the other teams are dangling the Central title trophy in front of us daring us to grab it.

On 11/25/2018 at 1:03 PM, Jake said:

Single most important question with Machado is whether he wants to remain at shortstop and whether he should remain at shortstop. His value could be seriously diminished at shortstop if his defense is as bad as it often looked last year, but conversely if he really made strides toward the end of the year as some believe then his value increases tremendously.

Yeah this is a good point. I tend to believe he can play an average SS for a few years assuming half decent shifting, and I’m all for building the roster around him, but there’s no question that he provides the most value to this roster/organization as a plus defensive third baseman in both the short and long term. If he truly is insisting on being a SS, it’s simply a less exciting fit for the White Sox.

1 hour ago, Greek-konerko said:

Evening fellow sox fans. Here a greek die hard sox fan. Ive been reading the forum fir a long time and wanted to join your company. Heres what i think. Why spend 400 on manny while theres a guy in pacific north that can be a solution? Yes kyle seager. Also another guy i like and is a fit is Carpenter from stlouis can play 3rd 1st dh 2nd and hit leadoff. Thats my take as far as the 3rdbase prob. As far as what else i think hahn should add is pitching pitching. Im not convinced at all about giolitto kopech is 1 and half year to go and our bullpen is terrible. So i would try trade for de grom or thor or sign corbin and add 2 relievers. Miller ottavino or kimbrel ottavino and let our outfielders progress in minors. Sign a 1 year ofer till guys are ready. Sorry for my poor english and im happy to join u guys

I don’t agree with your plan at all, but I’m very happy to have you on the board. Welcome. 

3 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Yeah this is a good point. I tend to believe he can play an average SS for a few years assuming half decent shifting, and I’m all for building the roster around him, but there’s no question that he provides the most value to this roster/organization as a plus defensive third baseman in both the short and long term. If he truly is insisting on being a SS, it’s simply a less exciting fit for the White Sox.

Agree 100%.

33 minutes ago, greg775 said:

If Cleveland is going to sell everybody and stink, it might be wise to speed the rebuild and take it if the other teams are dangling the Central title trophy in front of us daring us to grab it.

They have no plans on selling everybody. Maybe one or two big guys to help fill the rest of the MLB roster with young talent at other needs.

On 11/26/2018 at 4:08 PM, Eminor3rd said:

To be clear, if your scouts thought he's going to be average or above average defensively at shortstop, that's a big plus for his value and I wouldn't advocate letting Tim Anderson stand in his way. But if your scouts think he's going to be hemorrhaging a win or two of value with his defense at SS and he doesn't want to go to 3B, then he's not as good of a value.

1 minute ago, Jake said:

To be clear, if your scouts thought he's going to be average or above average defensively at shortstop, that's a big plus for his value and I wouldn't advocate letting Tim Anderson stand in his way. But if your scouts think he's going to be hemorrhaging a win or two of value with his defense at SS and he doesn't want to go to 3B, then he's not as good of a value.

Right. I’m not saying I wouldn’t take him there if that’s what I came down to. I just mean he is significantly more valuable if he adds his five wins to an organizational weak point instead of one where he’s replacing an average, cost-controlled player. 

11 minutes ago, Sockin said:

FWIW (and it could mean very little considering the source) but Nightengale said on the White Sox Talk podcast that he can't see the Sox including opt outs in any contract. He said they would want either Harper or Machado for the full ride. 

Seems like he's laying the groundwork for a scapegoat for when we don't sign either.

• Tony locked this topic