Morosi: White Sox interested in "both Machado and Harper"

Jose Abreu

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

With all the activity that’s happened prior to the Winter Meetings, it does seem a bit more likely Harper may agree to a deal next week.

If he does, that’s probably not a good thing for the Sox.  Sox would have to be “ARod/Rangers” in this situation, and Boras would definitely wait past mid December to see if someone will get desperate.

25 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I don't doubt that the Sox's offer will be one of the better ones.  From what we've heard (from real sources), the meeting had gone well and the Sox feel good about their chances.  I wouldn't be surprised if it comes down to 2-3 teams and the Sox are one of them.

I saw WSD tweeted that too, which also made me believe that theory. I wouldn't be surprised if we were one of the final three either; here's to hoping that Harper says yes to us. Also, love the "(from real sources)" hahaha

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

If he does, that’s probably not a good thing for the Sox.  Sox would have to be “ARod/Rangers” in this situation, and Boras would definitely wait past mid December to see if someone will get desperate.

In the end it's up to Bryce, and the winter meetings are in his hometown. If the sox feel good about their chances right now, it could be a good thing.

At the end of the day, I just hope JR is ready to open the checkbook.  If the Sox don't increase their payroll into the $150-$190M range in 2020-2025, this whole thing was never going to work.  Harper on an effective 4 year / $190M-$200M (asusming he takes first opt out) is great, but if the Sox FO isn't willing to spend to finish out the roster, it wasn't really worth it.   

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

At the end of the day, I just hope JR is ready to open the checkbook.  If the Sox don't increase their payroll into the $150-$190M range in 2020-2025, this whole thing was never going to work.  Harper on an effective 4 year / $190M-$200M (asusming he takes first opt out) is great, but if the Sox FO isn't willing to spend to finish out the roster, it wasn't really worth it.   

Can we throw in that we will play 2 series a year in Vegas?  I would gladly trade an April home series vs KC and May vs Tampa for that 

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’d normally agree, but I truly believe things are moving much faster this year.  And Harper is just a different bread and I could see him wanting to steal the spotlight in his hometown if possible.

• Tony locked this topic