Morosi: White Sox interested in "both Machado and Harper"

Jose Abreu

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t think we can do one before year 4 and I doubt that’s a deal-breaker if we’re willing to do close to 10/$400M.

It should be a deal breaker.

Fans in general seem to tremendously underrate the value of opt-outs.

Luckily, I can see Boras/Harper being so obsessed with getting that WOW total $ number that they don't push this angle as hard as they could.  

Just now, GREEDY said:

It should be a deal breaker.

Fans in general seem to tremendously underrate the value of opt-outs.

Luckily, I can see Boras/Harper being so obsessed with getting that WOW total $ number that they don't push this angle as hard as they could.  

why wouldn't Bryce and Manny want the chance again to be a free agent when they're 29/30?  Heyward was a similar age during his free agency and the Cubs providing the 3-year opt-out with heavy money upfront put them in the lead.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

why wouldn't Bryce and Manny want the chance again to be a free agent when they're 29/30?  Heyward was a similar age during his free agency and the Cubs providing the 3-year opt-out with heavy money upfront put them in the lead.

Ya, the opt-outs only benefit the players. If you see a better opportunity, whether it be money, team, etc., they exercise their opt-out and become free agents again. If they don't see that opportunity, they don't exercise the opt-out.

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

They would want that, but Harper isn't going to take THAT MUCH of a lesser deal in exchange for it. He's not going to sign a $200 million total value deal just because you gave him an opt out after $50 million in the first 2 years. How much they might trade for an earlier opt out...well we'll see. 

• Tony locked this topic