Morosi: White Sox interested in "both Machado and Harper"

Jose Abreu

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

why wouldn't Bryce and Manny want the chance again to be a free agent when they're 29/30?  Heyward was a similar age during his free agency and the Cubs providing the 3-year opt-out with heavy money upfront put them in the lead.

Right.  That is what I am saying.  I think an opt-out after year 4 is of tremendous value and the attitude I see from fans is they are willing to give an opt-out away as an afterthought.  I'm just hoping that in an effort to stretch to $400,000,000 or even 450 😎 Boras might be willing to (foolishly) not take or at least not get very player friendly opt-outs.  It is tricky for the Sox though, because it has to be tempting to front load the deal while payroll is low or at the very least not backload it... and that will make opt-outs more complicated.  

3 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Right.  That is what I am saying.  I think an opt-out after year 4 is of tremendous value and the attitude I see from fans is they are willing to give an opt-out away as an afterthought.  I'm just hoping that in an effort to stretch to $400,000,000 or even 450 😎 Boras might be willing to (foolishly) not take or at least not get very player friendly opt-outs.  It is tricky for the Sox though, because it has to be tempting to front load the deal while payroll is low or at the very least not backload it... and that will make opt-outs more complicated.  

If we’re going to land one of these guys, we’ll have to give an opt-out.  The only question is when.  I would need at least four guaranteed years from either guy to make a 10 year commitment.  Anything sooner than that is simply counter-productive IMO.

32 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They would want that, but Harper isn't going to take THAT MUCH of a lesser deal in exchange for it. He's not going to sign a $200 million total value deal just because you gave him an opt out after $50 million in the first 2 years. How much they might trade for an earlier opt out...well we'll see. 

If the Sox do love their chances at signing him, then perhaps we have some sort of framework that Bryce/Boras have already expressed some interest in. Maybe it's the Albert Belle top 3 paid player no matter what thing

31 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

This whole thing reminds me so much of Cespedes and how Sox fans were clamoring for him a few years ago.

Cespedes would have been pretty good to have in 2016. Team wouldn’t be in rebuild I bet.

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

I would love if that 12 year/420 million with an opt-out after year 5 is true. That would be perfect for the Sox. 

Yuck.

Are we getting the Harper from 2015 or the one from 2016-2018 because after 2015 he has averaged 2.5 WAR. He plays also LF which is a non premium position.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually would prefer Machado. At least he plays kind of plays SS and 3B.

2 hours ago, fathom said:

He thought ECW was overrated 

OH MY GODDDDDDDD

Great info within this thread, especially the last few pages. Even if none of the info is proven correct it’s fun to be in the discussion for Machado/Harper. Every day im checking Soxtalk to look for some new (possibly inside) information, which fortunately Peavy has provides us with 😄

4 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Yuck.

Are we getting the Harper from 2015 or the one from 2016-2018 because after 2015 he has averaged 2.5 WAR. He plays also LF which is a non premium position.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually would prefer Machado. At least he plays kind of plays SS and 3B.

I would be happy with either, but the 5 year opt-out is great. It ensures that the Sox would have him through the 2023 season which aligns perfectly with their window.

• Tony locked this topic