Morosi: White Sox interested in "both Machado and Harper"

Jose Abreu

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:11 PM, soxfan2014 said:

I think the opt-outs would come after their age 30/31/32 age seasons. So 4 years guaranteed to be around.

I don't post much and this is going to sound stupid and off base but I believe we have a decent shot at signing both with opt outs and front loaded contracts. Our payroll next year will still be ridiculously low in 2020 and beyond and we can make up a lot of that money in the TV deal.  I know I know its sound ridiculous but I truly believe they are looking at that option. I think jerry and Hahn realize this opportunity to sign 2 young players like this will never happen again. Its a perfect storm with no money on books for 2020 and TV deal coming up and some of the big boys like Red sox, Cubs, Dodgers and maybe Yankees not being as aggressive as usual. Oh well have a good laugh. I can dream but Timing wise it makes perfect sense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SoxSteve said:

I don't post much and this is going to sound stupid and off base but I believe we have a decent shot at signing both with opt outs and front loaded contracts. Our payroll next year will still be ridiculously low in 2020 and beyond and we can make up a lot of that money in the TV deal.  I know I know its sound ridiculous but I truly believe they are looking at that option. I think jerry and Hahn realize this opportunity to sign 2 young players like this will never happen again. Its a perfect storm with no money on books for 2020 and TV deal coming up and some of the big boys like Red sox, Cubs, Dodgers and maybe Yankees not being as aggressive as usual. Oh well have a good laugh. I can dream but Timing wise it makes perfect sense.

unfortunately we can't front load it too much because then they will just opt out after 4 years

Just now, peavy44 said:

I can't not post my source cause them people don't want  the rumors share around the internet 

Dont post your source, dont worry about what people say. 

If you have information and you want to share, feel free. 

So many times people on this site have called some twitter, message board, internet rumor BS, and then proven wrong. 

Just now, whitesoxwinner said:

unfortunately we can't front load it too much because then they will just opt out after 4 years

Fine with me, that should hopefully be enough to make them contenders for 2-3 years while making the franchise relevant again.  

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

Dont post your source, dont worry about what people say. 

If you have information and you want to share, feel free. 

So many times people on this site have called some twitter, message board, internet rumor BS, and then proven wrong. 

Example: Just a mere week ago when some random guy on Twitter broke the Colome trade the night before it happened. Lately, random social media presences have actually been decent at breaking news. The problem is that for every correct post, there are a hundred BS ones

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

Example: Just a mere week ago when some random guy on Twitter broke the Colome trade the night before it happened. Lately, random social media presences have actually been decent at breaking news. The problem is that for every correct post, there are a hundred BS ones

Which is why rumors are just rumors. And you dont shoot the messenger, unless it turns out that they completely made something up.

If someone makes something up for 5 minutes of internet fame, feel free to murder them. :)

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

I was the one who found that Mariners thing, and the reason I even posted it was because the Trent booty account said the Mariners Insider had been accurate with everything in the past.

7 minutes ago, SoxSteve said:

If they sign Harper, they will need to allocate a substantial amount of capital to acquire the needed pitching, both starters and at least one more reliever. Spending all of the money on two offensive players, without adequate pitching, is not advisable.

Just now, Tony said:

Everyone has a right to believe what they want. And everyone has a right to respond how they want. 

Yup. I don't blame you for being skeptical. I was too before I looked into it more. I'm not saying this guy is 100% indisputably telling the truth or anything, but I at least think there's a reasonable chance he knows what he's talking about.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Fine with me, that should hopefully be enough to make them contenders for 2-3 years while making the franchise relevant again.  

I know beggars can't be choosers but I'd really hope we'd be able to find some balance where they'd likely stay here for longer. But, I wouldn't protest if that were the case. Plus we will probably be winning around that time so they'd be more likely to resign.

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

If they sign Harper, they will need to allocate a substantial amount of capital to acquire the needed pitching, both starters and at least one more reliever. Spending all of the money on two offensive players, without adequate pitching, is not advisable.

Yep, which is why they really have to hope Manny/Bryce make a decision in the next few weeks.  If not, you're going to be filling holes with scraps if you go that way.

1 minute ago, whitesoxwinner said:

I know beggars can't be choosers but I'd really hope we'd be able to find some balance where they'd likely stay here for longer. But, I wouldn't protest if that were the case. Plus we will probably be winning around that time so they'd be more likely to resign.

Who's to say you'd even want them after 4 years?  If they're good enough to opt-out after 4 years, then it's likely they helped the Sox win a lot of games.  

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I have a hard times me believing the White Sox have been informed they have the highest offer. That would be a strange negotiating tactic by Boras.

Depends.

I could see Boras say: "Youre the highest offer right now, but other teams are still in the mix. If you offer X, hell sign now."

• Tony locked this topic