Morosi: White Sox interested in "both Machado and Harper"

Jose Abreu

2 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Depends.

I could see Boras say: "Youre the highest offer right now, but other teams are still in the mix. If you offer X, hell sign now."

This is Scott Boras. That would never happen. Even if they were the highest bid, he is looking for more. I know everyone wants this to be true, and while it may be true Harper would prefer Chicago, that could mean the Cubs. His buddy is there, and his dog isn’t named  Guaranteed Rate. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I have a hard times me believing the White Sox have been informed they have the highest offer. That would be a strange negotiating tactic by Boras.

I don't even know if Boras was involved in this scenario. Sounds like Harper could have told his friends what the offers were, that friend told the mutual friend, and then that info got on Facebook which is where Peavy is getting it from.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Who's to say you'd even want them after 4 years?  If they're good enough to opt-out after 4 years, then it's likely they helped the Sox win a lot of games.  

Good point. The opt-out could be beneficial to us, but I think it's less likely

Just now, Dick Allen said:

This is Scott Boras. That would never happen. Even if they were the highest bid, he is looking for more.

especially with the Winter Meetings not even happening yet and Machado still on the market.  I fully expect Manny to sign first, and then Harper sees how desperate the Phillies/Yankees get.

4 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Depends.

I could see Boras say: "Youre the highest offer right now, but other teams are still in the mix. If you offer X, hell sign now."

The problem is if you remember the Arod negotiations, he had the Rangers negotiating against themselves, and wasn't telling them what other teams offered on purpose to keep the Rangers bidding higher.  I agree it sounds nothing like Boars.

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

This is Scott Boras. That would never happen. Even if they were the highest bid, he is looking for more. I know everyone wants this to be true, and while it may be true Harper would prefer Chicago, that could mean the Cubs. His buddy is there, and his dog isn’t named  Guaranteed Rate. 

The cubs have no money

• Like 1

This is Scott Boras. That would never happen. Even if they were the highest bid, he is looking for more.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

The problem is if you remember the Arod negotiations, he had the Rangers negotiating against themselves, and wasn't telling them what other teams offered on purpose to keep the Rangers bidding higher.  I agree it sounds nothing like Boars.

Who knows. Im not saying that this is what Boras is doing, but just answering how/why someone could do it. The only leverage the Sox have is if they are theoretically the highest offer on both Machado and Harper, and have told the agents they will only sign 1. So lets say they are much higher than any other team right now, it creates an incentive for Boras to actually be honest with them. 

Again this is entirely speculation. But it would put Boras in somewhat of a bind if the Sox are the highest bidder (significantly) and there is a risk that they will entirely pull the bid. A-Rod there wasnt that risk because he was the only game in town. 

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Then why will he wind up paying Boras an 8 figure commission?

and for someone about to make one of the biggest free agent decisions, if not the biggest, in sports history....his buddies sure have loose lips :)

Just kidding peavy, I appreciate you sharing everything today.

Just now, Soxbadger said:

Who knows. Im not saying that this is what Boras is doing, but just answering how/why someone could do it. The only leverage the Sox have is if they are theoretically the highest offer on both Machado and Harper, and have told the agents they will only sign 1. So lets say they are much higher than any other team right now, it creates an incentive for Boras to actually be honest with them. 

Again this is entirely speculation. But it would put Boras in somewhat of a bind if the Sox are the highest bidder (significantly) and there is a risk that they will entirely pull the bid. A-Rod there wasnt that risk because he was the only game in town. 

What would he gain by telling the White Sox they are the high bidder? If anything, if he circled back, he would be in danger of the Sox lowering their bid because they may feel they are then too high.

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

especially with the Winter Meetings not even happening yet and Machado still on the market.  I fully expect Manny to sign first, and then Harper sees how desperate the Phillies/Yankees get.

I don’t think it will work that way.  Harper will likely go first IMO because he’s the more desirable player.  If you’re Boras, what do you gain having one less team in the mix?

1 minute ago, fathom said:

and for someone about to make one of the biggest free agent decisions, if not the biggest, in sports history....his buddies sure have loose lips :)

Just kidding peavy, I appreciate you sharing everything today.

Hey, Dr. Dre nearly spoiled his billion dollar deal with Apple by making a 3 am facebook video with tyrese claiming he's hip hops first billionaire.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

What would he gain by telling the White Sox they are the high bidder? If anything, if he circled back, he would be in danger of the Sox lowering their bid because they may feel they are then too high.

And most importantly, NOT bidding higher because they are the leader.  It goes against everything he has ever done before.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t think it will work that way.  Harper will likely go first IMO because he’s the more desirable player.  If you’re Boras, what do you gain having one less team in the mix?

Well you have the Phillies saying they'll offer "stupid" money and seemingly desperate to sign one of the big 2.  If they miss out on Manny, then maybe they get into that stupid range.

1 minute ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

Ugh, I so badly want to give into the excitement of this.

I don't wanna end up with Carlos Boozer again :(

oh god, Grandal is so Carlos Boozer (who by the way, Grandal fits what Hahn says about someone they would value for the future that they can't help when he's available.  They've liked him in the past and they can point to his defensive stats).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, peavy44 said:

The cubs have no money

The Cubs have a lot of money. And are about to get a lot more. Whether they have the appetite to pay a big tax is anyone’s guess, but they are printing money, and their debt problem was solved when they took on a minority powerless owner.

Look at Forbes. It said the White Sox made 30 million in 2017, and the Cubs made 102 million. Who do you really think out of the 2 will get the better TV deal? If the White Sox can afford everybody, the Cubs can afford everybody and then some.

Edited by Dick Allen

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Well you have the Phillies saying they'll offer "stupid" money and seemingly desperate to sign one of the big 2.  If they miss out on Manny, then maybe they get into that stupid range.

But Boras also won't know what the offers to Machado are. He could easily be sitting there with the highest offer he has being the Phillies or White Sox offer, then Machado could sign with that team, and harper's best offer is then pulled.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

And most importantly, NOT bidding higher because they are the leader.  It goes against everything he has ever done before.

The hypothetical was, why would he do it. I presented a reason why Boras would.

Sox have offers for Machado/Harper both at 10/400 mil. They tell both agents, whoever takes our offer signs first. Machado's people tell Sox that they are close. They circle back to Boras and he then says "You are the leader but we wont sign now unless it for 10/500".

/shrugs

Again, someone asked why, I answered. I never said it was likely or happening, just gave a reason why it could happen. You dont have to believe it is, but you cant just dismiss that it cant be.

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Then why will he wind up paying Boras an 8 figure commission?

Here's where you're mistaken, the source who's giving us all this information isn't from the boras camp or the sox camp. It's through harper's personal camp. So it's probably very possible that if this is true, boras hasn't even told the sox they're the highest.

• Like 1

• Tony locked this topic