Morosi: White Sox interested in "both Machado and Harper"

Jose Abreu

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The Cubs have a lot of money. And are about to get a lot more. Whether they have the appetite to pay a big tax is anyone’s guess, but they are printing money, and their debt problem was solved when they took on a minority powerless owner.

The cubs will not outbid the sox. That is a fact. I'd bet my house on it.

• Like 1

Just now, Dick Allen said:

The Cubs have a lot of money. And are about to get a lot more. Whether they have the appetite to pay a big tax is anyone’s guess, but they are printing money, and their debt problem was solved when they took on a minority powerless owner.

Solving their debt problem doesn’t mean they don’t have debt that still needs to be paid off.  And we all need to remember the Cubs are owned by a legit trust fund.  They aren’t Pizza Man who was able to pump all that Little Ceaser’s cash into the team.  Until that new TV deal money comes, they have to remain somewhat frugal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whitesoxwinner said:

Here's where you're mistaken, the source who's giving us all this information isn't from the boras camp or the sox camp. It's through harper's personal camp. So it's probably very possible that if this is true, boras hasn't even told the sox they're the highest.

But DA said we have pretty much no shot at either so he is gonna find what fits his narrative.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lillian said:

If they sign Harper, they will need to allocate a substantial amount of capital to acquire the needed pitching, both starters and at least one more reliever. Spending all of the money on two offensive players, without adequate pitching, is not advisable.

I understand but there is no starter out market that is even close to those to in ability and marketability. Not even close. Also next year you might be able to attract a decent pitcher(Sale) or 2 for less than normal pay with those guys on your team.

Just now, fathom said:

What if (and this is just hypothetical), they're able to unload Heyward on someone by giving up Contreras and Happ, etc?

I'd put the odds on that happening at like 1%. No one in their right mind is going to take on that atrocious contract. The Cubs would have to package him with guys already on the MLB roster (Schwarber, Happ, Contreras) to have any chance of unloading him but that wouldn't make any sense for them.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Solving their debt problem doesn’t mean they don’t have debt that still needs to be paid off.  And we all need to remember the Cubs are owned by a legit trust fund.  They aren’t Pizza Man who was able to pump all that Little Ceaser’s cash into the team.  Until that new TV deal money comes, they have to remain somewhat frugal.

They actually can't pay off their debt for a period of time because of tax reasons.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

What if (and this is just hypothetical), they're able to unload Heyward on someone by giving up Contreras and Happ, etc?

if they were able to unload heyward that would've happened a year ago imo. But if they are able to, then I would change my mind. But I really don't see that happening

Edited by whitesoxwinner

1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I could have sworn I saw him post 12 yrs/$400M with an opt-out after 5 years (thank god).

There's a lot of misinformation in here now. About 25% of what is being discussed was actually said by the guy. The rest is speculation that is now being attributed to him 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Honestly, after looking at the names and money left on them, and their arb status, I'm not sure that I'd take that deal if I were the White Sox (Contreras + Happ + Heyward for a bag of balls). You get ~6.5 fWAR based on what they did last year, but all 3 of them are down, and you're spending $20 million on that next year, Contreras is Arb eligible next offseason so bump that well over $25 million that year, Happ is arb eligible the next year so for 2021-2023 you're taking on like $30-50 million a year. Uck.

• Tony locked this topic