Morosi: White Sox interested in "both Machado and Harper"

Jose Abreu

15 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I'd put the odds on that happening at like 1%. No one in their right mind is going to take on that atrocious contract. The Cubs would have to package him with guys already on the MLB roster (Schwarber, Happ, Contreras) to have any chance of unloading him but that wouldn't make any sense for them.

They won’t be able to dump him. I agree. The thing is, the Cubs have a ton of money. If Forbes is to believe, they made $72 million more than the White Sox in 2017, and their TV deal is going to be a lot bigger than the White Sox. Not only that, they own a lot of businesses now around their park, so people are paying them for several hours before and after games, when the team is on the road, and during the offseason.

To say the Cubs have no money is very inaccurate. The question is future payrolls and what adding a guy like Harper May mean for that. They have a lot of guys that they are going to have to pay a lot of money, so adding his deal with that is the question. 

If the White Sox were in the Cubs position and it was being thrown around they had no money, we would be laughing our asses off.

Edited by Dick Allen

3 minutes ago, Princess Dye said:

From my friend who has worked at the stadium (albeit a long time ago):  Ron Kittle will run his mouth wildly and exaggerate freely.

So (and this next line is purely speculation): Peavy44-story may well be accurate even if the actual rumor itself is not fact

Thanks, I'll add, however, that what made me optimistic about his story after research was not at all about what Ron Kittle allegedly said, but purely the source himself and his connections

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

They won’t be able to dump him. I agree. The thing is, the Cubs have a ton of money. If Forbes is to believe, they made $72 million more than the White Sox in 2017, and their TV deal is going to be a lot bigger than the White Sox. Not only that, they own a lot of businesses now around their park, so people are paying them for several hours before and after games, when the team is on the road, and during the offseason.

To say the Cubs have no money is very inaccurate. The question is future payrolls and what adding a guy like Harper May mean for that. They have a lot of guys that they are going to have to pay a lot of money, so adding his deal with that is the question. 

If the White Sox were in the Cubs position and it was being thrown around they had no money, we would be laughing our asses off.

Pretty sure debt payments are not included in the P/L #'s.

Just now, peavy44 said:

If you not going believe my source idc its all up to harper.

the first rule of being a message board "insider" is to not b**** when people don't believe you.  This might be your first rodeo but anybody that posts here for years has seen people like you come and go, and usually it's because their "sources" turned out to be fever dreams.

Toughen up.

• Thanks 3

• Tony locked this topic