Morosi: White Sox interested in "both Machado and Harper"

Jose Abreu

29 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Honestly, after looking at the names and money left on them, and their arb status, I'm not sure that I'd take that deal if I were the White Sox (Contreras + Happ + Heyward for a bag of balls). You get ~6.5 fWAR based on what they did last year, but all 3 of them are down, and you're spending $20 million on that next year, Contreras is Arb eligible next offseason so bump that well over $25 million that year, Happ is arb eligible the next year so for 2021-2023 you're taking on like $30-50 million a year. Uck.

This is nuts. I’d take that deal easily. 

You are in trouble when you need talent back for a player that is already expensive.

You could take that trade, send out Heyward for nothing but some cost because Sox don’t care about appearances of salary dumps, Spin out Happ for prospects, and then have acquired Contreras for essentially money plus prospects/better fits for Happ.

Cubs need to trade out that talent because they need that full cash back. Sox don’t. They can unwind it and swallow the bad Heyward contract/trade.

There are many possibilities at any point. Acquiring or signing a player for 4 years $100 million doesn’t mean the only scenario is for the next four years you must start that player and pay them that amount. There are many possibilities at any point, things are not in a time sealed vacuum.

I’ve never seen an insider cry and scream to be the center of attention. I and other people appreciate the info but if the price of the info is constant whining and threats to leave then I say bye. I’d rather not know then. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Why does Harper like Chicago so much?  No offense to Chicago, helluva city, but in the sports landscape it's LA/NY/MIA then everywhere else as far as destinations.

That's certainly not true. Miami might be the worst sport's landscape in all of sports

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Why does Harper like Chicago so much?  No offense to Chicago, helluva city, but in the sports landscape it's LA/NY/MIA then everywhere else as far as destinations.

that rumor about liking Chicago started when he named his dog Wrigley, and only exploded more when he told TMZ he likes the food in the city.  Supposedly he grew up a Yanks fan though.

• Tony locked this topic