Morosi: White Sox interested in "both Machado and Harper"

Jose Abreu

On 11/10/2018 at 12:15 AM, Jose Abreu said:

If you are objective, that was a great article and I fully agree. It's not even close to who the Sox should sign IMO if they need to pick one of the two.

Edited by greg775

30 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

Hahn has already said they are going to get pitching. Need innings for starters and bullpen help. 

I get that, but then we're in rumors for these other guys. Baseball silly season, I get it. These "rumors" sound like the Sox are on the cusp of a pennant run, which they clearly are not. Ill let it play out.

51 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Jayson Stark reporting in the Athletic, the Yankees seem to be checking in on Machado. That is bad news for the White Sox, as that seems to be Machado's dream destination.

That was always the case. I never believed for a second there wasn't interest there from both sides. That is also why I think we seem to be all in on Harper, as we may be able to persuade him to not sign in Philly or SF. None of the blue bloods seem to be THAT interested in Harper at the contract he will get. 

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Jayson Stark reporting in the Athletic, the Yankees seem to be checking in on Machado. That is bad news for the White Sox, as that seems to be Machado's dream destination.

So Hahn will have to get creative to land him. Isn't that why he's paid to be the GM?

5 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

So Hahn will have to get creative to land him. Isn't that why he's paid to be the GM?

Creative is a mountain of extra cash.  Really, that is what the White Sox have to sell to both of these guys. 

I just wonder what the general mood will be if both of these guys sign elsewhere.  I don't think anyone really was or is counting on it. But I wonder if it goes where most think it will go, if most White Sox fans would have been better with it if the story of their interest never was known. 

Edited by Dick Allen

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Creative is a mountain of extra cash. 

I just wonder what the general mood will be if both of these guys sign elsewhere.  I don't think anyone really was or is counting on it. But I wonder if it goes where most think it will go, if most White Sox fans would have been better with it if the story of their interest never was known. 

Creative is the same AAV, total dollars, and opt outs allocated better so as to make it more likely for the player to sign and also to stay for the length of time the team would prefer.

I'm *really* not worried about the Yankees...

Signing Machado puts him in their loaded infield.. I mean they have Didi, Andujar, Torres, and backups. Sure, DiDi is hurt long-term, but is it really worth NYY paying Machado 30 mill annually because Didi is hurt in 2019? Their highest priority is their SP. They have a juggernaught of an offense already. 

Sure, they could trade some players, but if I'm the Yankees I am holding Andujar and Torres as they are both exceptional and their contracts indicate that they are fantastic wins for the Yanks. Instead, I forsee them going after a kluber/Pax and a Corbin. Adding Kluber + Corbin to their team would be their best offseason moves financially. 

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Signing Machado puts him in their loaded infield.. I mean they have Didi, Andujar, Torres, and backups. Sure, DiDi is hurt long-term, but is it really worth NYY paying Machado 30 mill annually because Didi is hurt in 2019? Their highest priority is their SP. They have a juggernaught of an offense already. 

Sure, they could trade some players, but if I'm the Yankees I am holding Andujar and Torres as they are both exceptional and their contracts indicate that they are fantastic wins for the Yanks. Instead, I forsee them going after a kluber/Pax and a Corbin. Adding Kluber + Corbin to their team would be their best offseason moves financially. 

What's to stop them from getting Machado AND Corbin, as well as trading for Kluber. They're the Yankees dude, they print money and dgaf about the luxury tax. 

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I still think it is likely that Machado signs with the jankees and Harper signs elsewhere, whether it is with the Phillies or Cardinals. I think the Giants are more unlikely than the Sox because they are in an even worse situation than the Sox are. 

Boras is trying to sell SF mentioning how much Bryce loves the atmosphere at their park.  They do seem to be a bit like the Blackhawks now. Sort of desperate. Probably thinking they are better than they really are, trying to win vs. Father Time,  with a ton of unmoveable contracts. But if there was no cap in the NHL, I think Rocky would sign their equivalent to Harper in a second, and of course if there was no cap in the NHL, they probably wouldn't be in their current situation.

Edited by Dick Allen

8 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Only 1 year left of Didi. Plus Andujar can move across the diamond or DH mostly.

17 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Creative is a mountain of extra cash.  Really, that is what the White Sox have to sell to both of these guys. 

The mood will be sour, at least among die-hard fans like those on this board.  I started the offseason thinking that either one of these guys would be a huge windfall, but I was in the "not counting on it" camp.  All the stories about the White Sox pursuit got my hopes up, and got me thinking about just how unique an opportunity this is to supplement the rebuild with elite free agent talent (and boost fan interest), and that for once there is no real financial barrier to the White Sox doing so, at least from a payroll perspective.  I've come to think this is kind of a crossroads for the Sox, and if they don't make it happen I'll be upset.  I think there are many others like me.

I recognize that this is not an ideal place to be from a mental health perspective.

17 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

What's to stop them from getting Machado AND Corbin, as well as trading for Kluber. They're the Yankees dude, they print money and dgaf about the luxury tax. 

Honestly I'm going to be stunned if Corbin goes anywhere else. He was already talking about signing with the Yankees last May, and they need starting pitching. If they have to bid up to 5/$140 to beat everyone else, they'll do it.

Machado...they may go all in on him, or they may not. Doing so makes sense given the lack of control on Didi, but I honestly believe that's going to be much more of a competitive bid. Yes the Yankees have money,  but the Phillies and White Sox have far less money already committed, the White Sox have basically nothing of importance on the books next year. So for that, who knows.

What on Earth are the Yankees going to trade to get Kluber? They've got 4 guys in MLB.com's top 100, but unless Cleveland is 100% committed to rebuilding (which they shouldn't be), I don't know that Cleveland even accepts Kluber for all 4 of those guys...which means that the Yankees would have to move Torres to do that.

• Like 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Honestly I'm going to be stunned if Corbin goes anywhere else. He was already talking about signing with the Yankees last May, and they need starting pitching. If they have to bid up to 5/$140 to beat everyone else, they'll do it.

I also think Corbin likely winds up there, but wouldn't the bolded have resulted in a fine/warning?

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

I also think Corbin likely winds up there, but wouldn't the bolded have resulted in a fine/warning?

No, players can talk about such things, the teams cannot. This was from April, literally during the regular season.

“It would definitely be great to play there,’’ Corbin says. “I grew up a Yankee fan. My whole family are Yankee fans. My mom, my dad, my grandpa, everybody. Really, every generation of my family has been Yankee fans.

“Living up in Syracuse, everybody’s a Yankee fan. Not too many Mets fans up there.’’

One of Corbin’s most valued pieces in his new Scottsdale, Ariz., home that he and his fiancée recently purchased, is the autographed jersey from Andy Pettitte. He was given an autographed picture of his other favorite Yankee, Tino Martinez, as a present growing up, but for the life of him, doesn’t know where it is.

“Those were my guys,’’ says Corbin, who still remembers cursing his luck seeing the Yankees play for his 10th birthday present, only to miss David Cone’s perfect game by a day. “They were winning championships every year. It was a cool time.’’

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

What on Earth are the Yankees going to trade to get Kluber? They've got 4 guys in MLB.com's top 100, but unless Cleveland is 100% committed to rebuilding (which they shouldn't be), I don't know that Cleveland even accepts Kluber for all 4 of those guys...which means that the Yankees would have to move Torres to do that.

A package involving C. Frazier and J. Sheffield + another nice piece could get it close/done. Kluber is decling and getting old... 

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

A package involving C. Frazier and J. Sheffield + another nice piece could get it close/done. Kluber is decling and getting old... 

He had the 3rd best ERA of his career last year, the 2nd best WHIP, and better numbers overall than he put up in 2016. I wish I could decline like that.

There is zero chance I would do that deal if I was Cleveland.

14 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Aren't those two players exactly what Cleveland sent for Andrew Miller? So that plus a minor piece gets Kluber now? Unlikely.

• Haha 1

• Tony locked this topic