Morosi: White Sox interested in "both Machado and Harper"

Jose Abreu

47 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I just don’t see the point of spending big on Marwin Gonzalez.  He’s young enough that he’ll probably get a four year deal and versatile enough that he’ll probably get a +$10M AAV.  He makes way more sense in the NL IMO.

I’ll be honest, I don’t see the point of any of these veteran signings if they aren’t part of an invasion led by Harper or Manny

17 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’ll be honest, I don’t see the point of any of these veteran signings if they aren’t part of an invasion led by Harper or Manny

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Most if not all of the most recent posts of are based on landing one of the whales.

Yup, these signings are all related to landing a way.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Would be willing to wager a contender gives Donaldson 3 years, knowing the final one is probably going to end up in less than stellar results but still worth the risk for Years 1 and 2.

What playoff-caliber teams are desperately in need of a 3B, though?

Cardinals and Braves are two.

That's where the Cardinals and Braves also become huge threats on the Machado and Harper fronts as well.

You add Donaldson AND Harper, you have the makings of "super teams" for either of those franchises, especially the Braves, who would still be holding onto a formidable minor league system's boatload of prospect for finishing touches.   Those two additions would be "reasonable," compared to the combination of Machado AND Harper and the possibility of being stuck with either one of those guys like the Angels with Pujols (unlikely, sure...but just look at Belle with Baltimore).

Or either one adds Machado, the other option.

The Cards desperately need to make a  big move (or moves) to counter the Brewers and Cubs.  While StL isn't a big-spending team, they've been right there for guys like Price, Heyward and Luis Robert.   And the Braves have all that revenue coming in from a new stadium, a potential superstar in Acuna and Harper's familiarity with the NL East.

Some would theorize he'd rather be close to his West Coast/LV roots, but either one of those options would be much more attractive unless the White Sox are willing to pay a 5-10% "surcharge" for not being in position to contend.

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That's where the Cardinals and Braves also become huge threats on the Machado and Harper fronts as well.

You add Donaldson AND Harper, you have the makings of "super teams" for either of those franchises, especially the Braves, who would still be holding onto a formidable minor league system's boatload of prospect for finishing touches.   Those two additions would be "reasonable," compared to the combination of Machado AND Harper and the possibility of being stuck with either one of those guys like the Angels with Pujols (unlikely, sure...but just look at Belle with Baltimore).

The Cards desperately need to make a  big move (or moves) to counter the Brewers and Cubs.  While StL isn't a big-spending team, they've been right there for guys like Price, Heyward and Luis Robert.   And the Braves have all that revenue coming in from a new stadium, a potential superstar in Acuna and Harper's familiarity with the NL East.

Some would theorize he'd rather be close to his West Coast/LV roots, but either one of those options would be much more attractive unless the White Sox are willing to pay a 5-10% "surcharge" for not being in position to contend.

I"m hoping the best offer will be good enough with the surcharge or premium as some call it coming in the form of what we pay to put around  him.

Camargo can play 3B, SS, 2B and potentially LF.   Basically, he's Marwin Gonzalez, with more natural SS ability.

That would seem to push the meter in the direction of Harper, to replace Markakis.  The Braves really make a lot of sense for Bryce, and of course you also have the Phillies in the same division fighting for his services.  It's setting up quite well for Boras & Co.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I"m hoping the best offer will be good enough with the surcharge or premium as some call it coming in the form of what we pay to put around  him.

Except I don't think they will sign UNLESS those pieces are (mostly) already in place...and JR's probably not going to authorize that (due to the fact that being stuck with a bunch of veterans they're going to have to dump on 1-2 year contracts without Harper/Machado would be a significant waste of resources). 

Which leaves them browsing in the March bargain bin, unless this whole situation can be resolved no later than mid-January.

Or JR just blowing everyone out of the water (ala the Rangers with A-Rod) in order to force an early/earlier signing than Boras is anticipating.

20 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Lol...how in the world do you expect either of those teams to add $60M in payroll commitments?  

45 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...how in the world do you expect either of those teams to add $60M in payroll commitments?  

The Braves have the revenue now with their new stadium and ....

Changes in the Braves’ local television deals will generate about $500 million in additional revenue for the team “over the life of the contracts,” the chief executive of Braves owner Liberty Media revealed today.

The TV deals were reworked last year, but Liberty CEO Greg Maffei, speaking on a quarterly conference call with Wall Street analysts, shed new light on the financial significance of the changes.

“Through some good work at the management of the Braves and a confluence of events, we were able to renegotiate positively a bunch of those (TV) rights and receive probably in the order of $500 million of incremental revenue over the life of the contracts,” Maffei said. “So that’s been very positive. … That adds a lot of value, even on a present value basis, to the Braves.”

Maffei said the Braves’ TV deals originally ran through 2027, but he didn’t say how long the renegotiated deals run.

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

It's going to happen. I'd bet one of Greg's houses on it.

If we sign both those guys I'll be a happy camper. ... Regarding your post, nice that a guy who takes a 3 month vacation from the board is still remembered nuff to be quoted.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, greg775 said:

If we sign both those guys I'll be a happy camper. ... Regarding your post, nice that a guy who takes a 3 month vacation from the board is still remembered nuff to be quoted.

Some things said on here will always be remembered no matter who the poster is. That quote will forever be associated with you Greg.

That and the quote about it being over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor and something about Paul Konerko's house in Glendale or Scottsdale and then J4L's constant promotion of LBJ as the GOAT.

CSINAA

MBINAA

In Coop We Trust/Coop Will Fix 'Em

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

That and the quote about it being over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor and something about Paul Konerko's house in Glendale or Scottsdale and then J4L's constant promotion of LBJ as the GOAT.

CSINAA

MBINAA

In Coop We Trust/Coop Will Fix 'Em

Were there really  people that thought Sale wasn't an ace? I'd like to meet those people. They must be propped on their toilets because they're high on pot. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Were there really a group of people that thought Sale wasn't an ace? I'd like to meet those people. They must be propped on their toilets because they're high on pot. 

Well, that could always be said simply because he never had the opportunity to prove himself in a playoff game for the White Sox...and almost always tended to wear down in the 2nd half of seasons, when he would be most needed by contending teams.

I'm not sure that ALL the questions about the playoffs have been completely answered for Chris, but saying Sale's not an ace is just like saying the same thing about Clayton Kershaw.

• Tony locked this topic