Morosi: White Sox interested in "both Machado and Harper"

Jose Abreu

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You despise the Sox?  Please tell me this is just some poorly written English.

Yeah, That is poorly written. I despise the Cubs to the nth degree. 

What I meant was that I like the Sox more than I despise the Cubs. I'm not afraid of making the Cubs better if it makes the Sox better too. I was never afraid of trading Q for Eloy/Cease. It made too much sense not to happen. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, That is poorly written. I despise the Cubs to the nth degree. 

What I meant was that I like the Sox more than I despise the Cubs. I'm not afraid of making the Cubs better if it makes the Sox better too. I was never afraid of trading Q for Eloy/Cease. It made too much sense not to happen. 

Gotcha, I can respect that.

6 hours ago, Bigsoxhurt35 said:

Next week is going to be the calm before the storm since it’s Thanksgiving next week. Then it’ll start to ramp up that following week before the winter meetings. 

I think the Sox traded for Jim Thome a day or two before Thanksgiving in 2005.

50 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

I think the Sox traded for Jim Thome a day or two before Thanksgiving in 2005.

The Samardzija trade rumors were intense on Thanksgiving week too, then died down the next week and picked back up again at the meetings. However I agree with Bigsoxhurt35 that we probably won't hear much this time around. 

52 minutes ago, bryank1202 said:

The Thome trade was a bad one , as much as iiked thome, if we retained Rowand and Thomas 2006 / 2007 would have been much better and possibly made the playoffs in 06.   Brian Anderson was Adam Engel on a playoff team.

Thome put up a WAR better than both combined in 2006. Rowand got hurt but was struggling.  2007 Rowand had a big year,  but wouldn't have made that Sox team competitive.  They were awful. And Thome out WARed Frank again. There is also question as to whether Paulie would have stayed. 

6 minutes ago, Bigsoxhurt35 said:

I just think this year is different and teams will want to see where the big dominoes go first. 

If that is the case, I could see this offseason ending up like last offseason, where most of the moves aren't made until late January/early February. 

57 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If that is the case, I could see this offseason ending up like last offseason, where most of the moves aren't made until late January/early February. 

I don’t see that at all. Not with this FA group. Teams are lining up to sign a 26 year old stud like Harper or Machado. I expect Harper to sign at the meetings since it’s in Vegas 

1 hour ago, Bigsoxhurt35 said:

I don’t see that at all. Not with this FA group. Teams are lining up to sign a 26 year old stud like Harper or Machado. I expect Harper to sign at the meetings since it’s in Vegas 

I don't think so. Boras likes to squeeze every dollar he can out of contracts for his premier clients by stalling until late January. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:20 PM, Jack Parkman said:

In reality, signing any free agent outside the bargain bin is a poor allocation of resources. All free agent contracts are overpayments by definition. 

Even these mega deals where you're getting the player for age 27-30 seasons, you have to sign them for 10+ years, and they become a burden over that length. It is no different than any other FA deal, in reality. 

I would tend to agree.  It seems like all 5+ year contracts end up being a terrible burden on the signing club. 

16 minutes ago, Sockin said:

The article isn't telling us anything we don't already know. My concerns are the same as most, that teams like the Phillies will spend whatever it takes to land at least one of Harper/Machado (maybe even both).

Just now, steveno89 said:

The article isn't telling us anything we don't already know. My concerns are the same as most, that teams like the Phillies will spend whatever it takes to land at least one of Harper/Machado (maybe even both).

So we’ll land the other guy then?  I don’t see Philly adding both.  They have a ton of holes and would be better off adding one whale and spreading any remaining funds across multiple needs.

1 hour ago, RickinIndiana said:

I would tend to agree.  It seems like all 5+ year contracts end up being a terrible burden on the signing club. 

Not signing Harper/Machado could be a blessing is disguise, as the contracts will almost assuredly become burdens down the line. I'd much rather heavily load a 4-5 year deal if possible. 

3 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Not signing Harper/Machado could be a blessing is disguise, as the contracts will almost assuredly become burdens down the line. I'd much rather heavily load a 4-5 year deal if possible. 

They won’t take a 4 to 5 year deal.  And they could become a burden at some point, but at 10 years you’d be getting their age 26 to 35 seasons.  I think both guys can realistically be expected to remain productive through their early 30’s, so hopefully you’re only looking at couple bad years and that’s only if they don’t exercise their opt-out.  We can’t be afraid to take some calculated risks if we ever want to win a championship again.

• Like 1

• Tony locked this topic