Jump to content
Jose Abreu

Morosi: White Sox interested in "both Machado and Harper"

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

So by both...does that mean...literally they want to sign both or they are going to go after both, hoping for one? I mean to me it is a no-brainer, if you are going to make a dent for a star, both of these guys are that so why wouldn't you. That photoshopped view of Harper in a Sox uni looked pretty sweet.  

I'd like to see them do that. Structure the deals for when the team has to pay its own, opt outs and all. Something like:

45-45-40-/-45-35-30-/-30-/-25-20-15

That's a 10 year $330 million deal with opt outs at years 3, 6, and 7 which is clearly designed to be opted out of after year 7. I feel like that offer would be attractive to both players for many reasons, and it would allow the team ideal flexibility in payroll in the back end years, with likely opt outs after year 7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

More fuel to the fire.

There is certainly a lot of speculation that the big spenders (Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Cubs) wont be pursuing Harper or Machado. We can't rule it out completely because contracts can be structured for the short term if a player wants to be on a contender then opt out after winning a World Series. Getting either one for 2 years then an opt out will be attractive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Aww

Can’t tell if he’s excited or if he thinks Machado is a SS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Can’t tell if he’s excited or if he thinks Machado is a SS

I think it’s the latter. Poor guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yea to me that is obvious. Id be thrilled with one . No one should be thinking of both . Both signing here is a million to one while 1 signing here is 100 to one.

Yeah but as profound as it might sound, it could very well be that signing 1 is what it would take to sign the other.  Circular thinking...but I doubt either would sign with us because of our prospects alone.  They would need to see how their signing could at least create a faint "win now" scenario.  Machado, might sign to play with a team starring Harper already.  Harper might join forces with a team already featuring Machado...so it puts that team into contention.  Think Cleveland Cavaliers...they would have never traded for Kevin Love without signing LeBron first--but for a time, their fan base likely never imagined signing either--ended up with both in short time.  

Edited by FT35

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FT35 said:

Yeah but as profound as it might sound, it could very well be that signing 1 is what it would take to sign the other.  Circular thinking...but I doubt either would sign with us because of our prospects alone.  They would need to see how their signing could at least create a faint "win now" scenario.  Machado, might sign to play with a team starring Harper already.  Harper might join forces with a team already featuring Machado...so it puts that team  into contention.  Think Cleveland Cavaliers...they would have never signed Kevin Love without signing LeBron first--but for a time, their fan base likely never imagined signing either--ended up with both in short time.  

Yeah that would be awesome but you're completely ignoring having to pay both. No shot they would do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah that would be awesome but you're completely ignoring having to pay both. No shot they would do that.

HA!  Wait, we have to pay them?!

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FT35 said:

Yeah but as profound as it might sound, it could very well be that signing 1 is what it would take to sign the other.  Circular thinking...but I doubt either would sign with us because of our prospects alone.  They would need to see how their signing could at least create a faint "win now" scenario.  Machado, might sign to play with a team starring Harper already.  Harper might join forces with a team already featuring Machado...so it puts that team  into contention.  Think Cleveland Cavaliers...they would have never signed Kevin Love without signing LeBron first--but for a time, their fan base likely never imagined signing either--ended up with both in short time.  

But if you really think about it, these guys are both 26, and if they are gonna get 10 year deals, if they are realistic in their thinking, they are gonna have some rough seasons where they don't make the post-season or barely hit .500 as a team, no matter who they sign with. It's inevitable. Whether it's at the beginning of their term, in the middle, or at the end. So, again, if they are thinking right, can you convince them to be patient for a couple more seasons until the payoff hits in probably 2021-2022, where this team is supposed to be good for at least 5-6 years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FT35 said:

Yeah but as profound as it might sound, it could very well be that signing 1 is what it would take to sign the other.  Circular thinking...but I doubt either would sign with us because of our prospects alone.  They would need to see how their signing could at least create a faint "win now" scenario.  Machado, might sign to play with a team starring Harper already.  Harper might join forces with a team already featuring Machado...so it puts that team  into contention.  Think Cleveland Cavaliers...they would have never signed Kevin Love without signing LeBron first--but for a time, their fan base likely never imagined signing either--ended up with both in short time.  

There are 5 starters in basketball and 8 on baseball plus 5 starting pitchers. Basketball roster is 12 ? Baseball is 25. Basketball doesn't pay salaries of 6 levels of the minors . It would take a miracle to get one of them . Getting both is as far fetched as it gets. Remember when we all thought Dunn's contract was a detriment to signing more free agents because of payroll constraints ? Multiply that by 50 to imagine how having 2 mega contracts would be. Early opt outs don't fit into the Sox plan  but they may fit into Harper and Machado's plans. Don't get your hopes up for one let alone both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I've said it a few times already, but I still think the "marketability" of Harper could play a huge part in the Sox plans. They have had dismal ratings and Harper is one of the few "must watch players" in the game today.   While I think Machado is the smarter signing (from a pure baseball perspective), I can't ignore the fact that signing Harper could be much more impactful to the teams marketing and TV deals.  If I were running the White Sox, I think I'd probably put a lean towards Harper for all of those reasons and in fact, could use those reasons as a basis for overpaying. 

The Sox obviously need to win, but signing Harper in an of itself makes the franchise far more watchable to the general public.  And for a franchise who literally is amongst the worst in baseball in that category...spending money on a guy who can dramatically shift that balance of power singlehandedly is huge. I might be overselling what Harper brings and leads to, but if you can get your young players to rebound and Harper plays good....its going to get a lot more eyeballs than if the same thing happened with Machado, imo.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

 

With him, this could mean he is looking for lunch ideas or is worried about Machado.  You never know with Anderson on social media.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

With him, this could mean he is looking for lunch ideas or is worried about Machado.  You never know with Anderson on social media.

I'm not sure what there is to be worried about. Anderson isn't going anywhere, he might not play SS but he will still be on the team. I feel like he is excited about the possibility of getting a superstar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

With him, this could mean he is looking for lunch ideas or is worried about Machado.  You never know with Anderson on social media.

This made me laugh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I know I've said it a few times already, but I still think the "marketability" of Harper could play a huge part in the Sox plans. They have had dismal ratings and Harper is one of the few "must watch players" in the game today.   While I think Machado is the smarter signing (from a pure baseball perspective), I can't ignore the fact that signing Harper could be much more impactful to the teams marketing and TV deals.  If I were running the White Sox, I think I'd probably put a lean towards Harper for all of those reasons and in fact, could use those reasons as a basis for overpaying. 

The Sox obviously need to win, but signing Harper in an of itself makes the franchise far more watchable to the general public.  And for a franchise who literally is amongst the worst in baseball in that category...spending money on a guy who can dramatically shift that balance of power singlehandedly is huge. I might be overselling what Harper brings and leads to, but if you can get your young players to rebound and Harper plays good....its going to get a lot more eyeballs than if the same thing happened with Machado, imo.  

I'm with you but unfortunately Harper isn't a good fielder and overpaying for a 1st baseman isn't a great idea. When you talk championship we often forget defense but making above average plays at all positions leads to a lot of regular season wins as well as the post season. I prefer Harper as a legit marketing presence and what he does offensively. Unfortunately I think having Machado leads to more wins if he plays 3rd base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm with you but unfortunately Harper isn't a good fielder and overpaying for a 1st baseman isn't a great idea. When you talk championship we often forget defense but making above average plays at all positions leads to a lot of regular season wins as well as the post season. I prefer Harper as a legit marketing presence and what he does offensively. Unfortunately I think having Machado leads to more wins if he plays 3rd base.

Yep - Its why from a baseball perspective, I like Machado more, but if Harper leads to more eyes and a bigger TV contract, etc (plus general excitement / shift of franchise), it could end up leading to better coffers for other baseball moves, etc.  Hard to say.  Harper could also be better than Manny, however, from a pure WAR perspective, I'd bet on Machado putting up better numbers than Harper over the course of the contract.  Of course, Harper has the upside to be the best player in the game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Yep - Its why from a baseball perspective, I like Machado more, but if Harper leads to more eyes and a bigger TV contract, etc (plus general excitement / shift of franchise), it could end up leading to better coffers for other baseball moves, etc.  Hard to say.  Harper could also be better than Manny, however, from a pure WAR perspective, I'd bet on Machado putting up better numbers than Harper over the course of the contract.  Of course, Harper has the upside to be the best player in the game.  

The simplest solution seems to be to just sign both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bubba phillips said:

29 other teams are probably running the same story.  Just Hot Stove filler during football season.

No they're not. Some teams, even prominent big spending teams, are telling their fanbases that they won't be going after one or both of these guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

29 other teams are probably running the same story.  Just Hot Stove filler during football season.

Uh, no.  Cleveland is talking about trading away their top players after a playoff year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Yep - Its why from a baseball perspective, I like Machado more, but if Harper leads to more eyes and a bigger TV contract, etc (plus general excitement / shift of franchise), it could end up leading to better coffers for other baseball moves, etc.  Hard to say.  Harper could also be better than Manny, however, from a pure WAR perspective, I'd bet on Machado putting up better numbers than Harper over the course of the contract.  Of course, Harper has the upside to be the best player in the game.  

Also people might be down on Machado's lack of hustle but look at his games played stats the last 5 years. He rarely misses a game and its far superior to Harpers. When you play that many games per year like Machado there will be times you coast because the season is a grind. The dude shows up to play every day. A young superstar offensively and defensively not having an injury history and being on the field every day is HUGE !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Also people might be down on Machado's lack of hustle but look at his games played stats the last 5 years. He rarely misses a game and its far superior to Harpers. When you play that many games per year like Machado there will be times you coast because the season is a grind. The dude shows up to play every day. A young superstar offensively and defensively not having an injury history and being on the field every day is HUGE !

Yep - I completely agree. It seems like a team that gets him is going to get a better on the field "value".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know everybody keeps saying it wont happen but lets just pretend...

We go after both players... Machado signs 1st and signs with us. Do we continue to pursue Harper or do we pull his offer? And if we signed MM does that make it more likely we can also get Harper?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

I know everybody keeps saying it wont happen but lets just pretend...

We go after both players... Machado signs 1st and signs with us. Do we continue to pursue Harper or do we pull his offer? And if we signed MM does that make it more likely we can also get Harper?

Less likely due to money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×