Morosi: White Sox interested in "both Machado and Harper"

Jose Abreu

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

I agree that Yolmer "would be a very valuable piece," if used properly. He had a decent year, hitting from the left side, but he was useless against LH pitching. He is fine defensively, especially at 2ND, but the Sox have Moncada and soon Madrigal. Yolmer's value is probably best as a utility infielder. 

And if that means trading him to the Dodgers or a better run franchise than ours in the NL that's  fine,  just get something with some talent in return. 

1 hour ago, Whitesox27 said:

They're most likely basing that prediction off the fact that the most expensive free agent contract the Sox have ever given anyone was $68 million, but there is no better time than right now to change that.

Weird comment. Not all those top 50 players will sign for anywhere near $68m.

1 hour ago, Whitesox27 said:

Obviously I was talking about the upper echelon guys like Harper and Machado.

But the predictions stated the Sox would sign none of the top 50. One of only 4 teams that would get none of them.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

EE put up his first season with >2 WAR this year as a 29 year old. 2 years ago he was a 0 WAR player, and most other seasons he's been 2 at most. Yolmer is 26 and has put up ~2 WAR seasons each of the last 2 years. The only thing Escobar has done that Yolmer hasn't is put up a 3 WAR season, and he didn't do that until he was 29, and he's only done that once, and now he's paid more. These are roughly comparable value players. If the White Sox used their bench effectively,  then Yolmer would be a very valuable piece. 

Then I can only assume you would have no interest in Harper. Yolmer is a perfect exemplar for why the Sox are losers. Now the worst offense got rid of half of its offense. Yawn. 

33 minutes ago, pcq said:

Then I can only assume you would have no interest in Harper. Yolmer is a perfect exemplar for why the Sox are losers. Now the worst offense got rid of half of its offense. Yawn. 

Do you know how much we paid to sign guys like Bonifacio and Beckham as backups in '15 and '16 and they were terrible but we didn't understand the value of decent players?

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

But the predictions stated the Sox would sign none of the top 50. One of only 4 teams that would get none of them.

That article is as valid as your opinion or mine, in fact probably even less valid. When they made the predictions, they didn't even remember that the White Sox existed, and I'm being 100% serious. They had a section for their teams who are predicted to sign none of these guys, and the White Sox weren't even listed in that section. They were the only team that was not mentioned a single time in the article. It took a few hours and some Twitter comments for them to go back and revise and add some comments about the Sox. 

12 minutes ago, Sockin said:

With the Phillies clearing even more space after trading Santana I don't think theres a chance we can be a top bidder for either guy. The Phillies have just as much to spend now. 

We have just as much if not more. If Bryce or Machado sign with the Phillies it won't because they could offer more money

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2018 at 9:30 PM, Jose Abreu said:

That article is as valid as your opinion or mine, in fact probably even less valid. When they made the predictions, they didn't even remember that the White Sox existed, and I'm being 100% serious. They had a section for their teams who are predicted to sign none of these guys, and the White Sox weren't even listed in that section. They were the only team that was not mentioned a single time in the article. It took a few hours and some Twitter comments for them to go back and revise and add some comments about the Sox. 

Didn't they also mention that the Sox were a complete wild card and could end up signing pretty much anyone on the list?  Am I remembering this correctly?

On 12/1/2018 at 8:45 PM, Balta1701 said:

Do you know how much we paid to sign guys like Bonifacio and Beckham as backups in '15 and '16 and they were terrible but we didn't understand the value of decent players?

Not very much. $3M for Bonifacio and $2M for Gordo in 2015. Peanuts is todays game.

But I agree...its nice to have internal options like Yolmer and Leury, even though at this point they're making close to the same amount.  Yolmer and Leury are fine part-time/bench/2 week DL stint fill-ins, but neither should be getting everyday at bats.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fathom said:

This guy has had a ton of good Yanks info of late:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SimonettiSource/status/1070554499679469568

Just FYI when you paste in the link a pop up will appear to make the link text only, if you click that the embed will work.

I find it weird how, to this point rumored, dogmatic yanks have been over years in the contract.

• Tony locked this topic