Jose Abreu

Morosi: White Sox interested in "both Machado and Harper"

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Solving their debt problem doesn’t mean they don’t have debt that still needs to be paid off.  And we all need to remember the Cubs are owned by a legit trust fund.  They aren’t Pizza Man who was able to pump all that Little Ceaser’s cash into the team.  Until that new TV deal money comes, they have to remain somewhat frugal.

They actually can't pay off their debt for a period of time because of tax reasons.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

What if (and this is just hypothetical), they're able to unload Heyward on someone by giving up Contreras and Happ, etc?

if they were able to unload heyward that would've happened a year ago imo. But if they are able to, then I would change my mind. But I really don't see that happening

Edited by whitesoxwinner

Tim Anderson openly recruiting Machado in the comments of Machado's latest Instagram post.

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

Tim Anderson openly recruiting Machado in the comments of Machado's latest Instagram post.

Hooray for Timmy!

1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I could have sworn I saw him post 12 yrs/$400M with an opt-out after 5 years (thank god).

There's a lot of misinformation in here now. About 25% of what is being discussed was actually said by the guy. The rest is speculation that is now being attributed to him 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

What if (and this is just hypothetical), they're able to unload Heyward on someone by giving up Contreras and Happ, etc?

Honestly, after looking at the names and money left on them, and their arb status, I'm not sure that I'd take that deal if I were the White Sox (Contreras + Happ + Heyward for a bag of balls). You get ~6.5 fWAR based on what they did last year, but all 3 of them are down, and you're spending $20 million on that next year, Contreras is Arb eligible next offseason so bump that well over $25 million that year, Happ is arb eligible the next year so for 2021-2023 you're taking on like $30-50 million a year. Uck.

1 minute ago, peavy44 said:

I have 3 sources one Harper camp and 2 white sox camp.

Well no matter how this turns out...I appreciate the information and hope it turns out in the White Sox favor. 

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

There's a lot of misinformation in here now. About 25% of what is being discussed was actually said by the guy. The rest is speculation that is now being attributed to him 

Shut up, nerd.

It's $400M over 12 years!

5 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Already a better recruiter than Derrick Rose.

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Are we actually trying to land two whales?  Maybe Morosi was right!  If so, someone should tell Timmy & Moncada that they’ve been downgraded to Grant & Armstrong status.

Just now, Sleepy Harold said:

Already a better recruiter than Derrick Rose.

Just wait until Stroman's a free agent

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I'll piss Greg's pants.

could you imagine how tough it will be for greg to say who won the winter if the Sox sign Manny/Bryce and Royals sign Avi/Davidson?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Some of you are setting yourselves up for serious emotional distress. Harper, maaaybe. Machado, maaaaaaaaaybe. But both? I'll win the mega millions first.

15 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I'd put the odds on that happening at like 1%. No one in their right mind is going to take on that atrocious contract. The Cubs would have to package him with guys already on the MLB roster (Schwarber, Happ, Contreras) to have any chance of unloading him but that wouldn't make any sense for them.

They won’t be able to dump him. I agree. The thing is, the Cubs have a ton of money. If Forbes is to believe, they made $72 million more than the White Sox in 2017, and their TV deal is going to be a lot bigger than the White Sox. Not only that, they own a lot of businesses now around their park, so people are paying them for several hours before and after games, when the team is on the road, and during the offseason.

To say the Cubs have no money is very inaccurate. The question is future payrolls and what adding a guy like Harper May mean for that. They have a lot of guys that they are going to have to pay a lot of money, so adding his deal with that is the question. 

If the White Sox were in the Cubs position and it was being thrown around they had no money, we would be laughing our asses off.

Edited by Dick Allen