Jose Abreu

Morosi: White Sox interested in "both Machado and Harper"

From my friend who has worked at the stadium (albeit a long time ago):  Ron Kittle will run his mouth wildly and exaggerate freely.

So (and this next line is purely speculation): Peavy44-story may well be accurate even if the actual rumor itself is not fact

3 minutes ago, Princess Dye said:

From my friend who has worked at the stadium (albeit a long time ago):  Ron Kittle will run his mouth wildly and exaggerate freely.

So (and this next line is purely speculation): Peavy44-story may well be accurate even if the actual rumor itself is not fact

Thanks, I'll add, however, that what made me optimistic about his story after research was not at all about what Ron Kittle allegedly said, but purely the source himself and his connections

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

They won’t be able to dump him. I agree. The thing is, the Cubs have a ton of money. If Forbes is to believe, they made $72 million more than the White Sox in 2017, and their TV deal is going to be a lot bigger than the White Sox. Not only that, they own a lot of businesses now around their park, so people are paying them for several hours before and after games, when the team is on the road, and during the offseason.

To say the Cubs have no money is very inaccurate. The question is future payrolls and what adding a guy like Harper May mean for that. They have a lot of guys that they are going to have to pay a lot of money, so adding his deal with that is the question. 

If the White Sox were in the Cubs position and it was being thrown around they had no money, we would be laughing our asses off.

Pretty sure debt payments are not included in the P/L #'s.

Just now, peavy44 said:

If you not going believe my source idc its all up to harper.

the first rule of being a message board "insider" is to not b**** when people don't believe you.  This might be your first rodeo but anybody that posts here for years has seen people like you come and go, and usually it's because their "sources" turned out to be fever dreams.

Toughen up.

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, peavy44 said:

If you not going believe my source idc its all up to harper.

source.gif

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Pretty sure debt payments are not included in the P/L #'s.

Debt value is included in their valuations.

29 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Honestly, after looking at the names and money left on them, and their arb status, I'm not sure that I'd take that deal if I were the White Sox (Contreras + Happ + Heyward for a bag of balls). You get ~6.5 fWAR based on what they did last year, but all 3 of them are down, and you're spending $20 million on that next year, Contreras is Arb eligible next offseason so bump that well over $25 million that year, Happ is arb eligible the next year so for 2021-2023 you're taking on like $30-50 million a year. Uck.

This is nuts. I’d take that deal easily. 

You are in trouble when you need talent back for a player that is already expensive.

You could take that trade, send out Heyward for nothing but some cost because Sox don’t care about appearances of salary dumps, Spin out Happ for prospects, and then have acquired Contreras for essentially money plus prospects/better fits for Happ.

Cubs need to trade out that talent because they need that full cash back. Sox don’t. They can unwind it and swallow the bad Heyward contract/trade.

There are many possibilities at any point. Acquiring or signing a player for 4 years $100 million doesn’t mean the only scenario is for the next four years you must start that player and pay them that amount. There are many possibilities at any point, things are not in a time sealed vacuum.

I love how the entire board is celebrating peavy44 and calling him a soon-to-be-legend and he's spent the last 10 pages of the thread threatening to leave for lack of respect.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

9 minutes ago, peavy44 said:

Well then get your harper rumors somewhere else see ya

Peavy. Don't go. You are going to get me through finals week.