Jump to content
Jose Abreu

Morosi: White Sox interested in "both Machado and Harper"

Recommended Posts

Just now, raBBit said:

I hope one of these guys wants "their team." 

They can go to the Cubs or Yankees or Dodgers and be one of a few stars. If they come here, they will be the star of our team. Obviously you hope that the Kopech/Jimenez/Robert/Moncada/Cease 's of the world turn into stars with them, but Bryce Harper, for instance, could have his Chicago White Sox. He could be 26 years old and the leader both publicly and figuratively. Not likely but possible eI suppose. 

We have to hope that a pitch based around being the face of a rising franchise, coupled with a massive payday will be enough to lure one of them in. I do not think that immediate contention will be as much of a factor as many think though. When signing what will be at least a 4-5 year deal considering opt outs, you do not have to contend in that first year. 

Sox need to bank on the Jimenez/Moncada/Robert/Cease/Kopech/Madrigal/Dunning core produces fruit, and that some our our lower tier prospects surprise. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think the extra money the teams are getting from outside sources, plus you to imagine that the new TV deal will at very least be an improvement over the last one, I would imagine the Sox ceiling for spending is higher than it was a few years ago.

I'm confident the Sox are willing to spend in order to see this rebuilding effort through, but there's no guaranty we can outbid some of the largest spending teams out there. 

I really think we should be looking at which free agents could be high upside signings for us as well. A Lance Lynn could really help to eat innings and might still have a few 3.0 WAR seasons left in the tank? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, steveno89 said:

I'm confident the Sox are willing to spend in order to see this rebuilding effort through, but there's no guaranty we can outbid some of the largest spending teams out there. 

I really think we should be looking at which free agents could be high upside signings for us as well. A Lance Lynn could really help to eat innings and might still have a few 3.0 WAR seasons left in the tank? 

I don't think anyone has made any promises of any sort.  Of course there is no guarantee. Everyone who follows professional sports should know that though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't think anyone has made any promises of any sort.  Of course there is no guarantee. Everyone who follows professional sports should know that though.

Promises of what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't think anyone has made any promises of any sort.  Of course there is no guarantee. Everyone who follows professional sports should know that though.

Promises of spending? The front office has stated many times that they will "try to be opportunistic" and will "spend when the time is right to build a winner" 

With Arenado likely to be resigned by the Rockies, when is better than now to go after a premium free agent in his prime? 

The fanbase would be irate if they cried poor with one of the lowest payrolls in the league. I fully expect the organization to try as hard as possible to land a big fish. 

Edited by steveno89
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to remind everyone: We also have the #3 pick, in this June's Draft. Hopefully, that will help fill one more piece of the core, for the upcoming window of contention. I'm sure that the front office will not forget to make that part of their pitch.

 

 

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lillian said:

Just to remind everyone: We also have the #3 pick, in this June's Draft. Hopefully, that will help fill one more piece of the core, fo the upcoming window of contention. I'm sure that the front office will not forget to make that part of their pitch.

 

 

Almost goes without saying the Sox will be looking at one of the best college prospects available that they can fast track to aid the rebuild. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sox are definitely going to spend some this offseason and substantially either this offseason or next.  All the stars align for it.

1.) They have no payroll moving forward.

2.) Regardless of the prospects hitting their ceiling, this rebuilding effort will bring in bunch of per arb MLB players.

3.) TV deal up after '19.

4.) Cubs' recent prominence. 

5.) Perhaps ownership is preparing to sell the team somewhere in 2020-2022.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Promises of spending? The front office has stated many times that they will "try to be opportunistic" and will "spend when the time is right to build a winner" 

With Arenado likely to be resigned by the Rockies, when is better than now to go after a premium free agent in his prime? 

The fanbase would be irate if they cried poor with one of the lowest payrolls in the league. I fully expect the organization to try as hard as possible to land a big fish. 

A promise that they will land a top FA.  Again, there is no guarantee.  No one has made such a promise.  They have to go through the negotiation process and see what happens.  This isn't OOTP where you just keep making the top offer and win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Sox are definitely going to spend some this offseason and substantially either this offseason or next.  All the stars align for it.

1.) They have no payroll moving forward.

2.) Regardless of the prospects hitting their ceiling, this rebuilding effort will bring in bunch of per arb MLB players.

3.) TV deal up after '19.

4.) Cubs' recent prominence. 

5.) Perhaps ownership is preparing to sell the team somewhere in 2020-2022.

 

I havent really wanted to talk about (5) because I think that swings both ways. If they are planning to sell they either want to go all in and have the "best" team to market, or they want to have 0 payroll so that any new owner can do whatever they want.

I think timing also has benefited Sox, because some of the big time teams dont seem to be as willing to throw their money around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

 

I havent really wanted to talk about (5) because I think that swings both ways. If they are planning to sell they either want to go all in and have the "best" team to market, or they want to have 0 payroll so that any new owner can do whatever they want.

I think timing also has benefited Sox, because some of the big time teams dont seem to be as willing to throw their money around. 

This is an important point. If the Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, and Jankees(/ozzie) are really out of the bidding, then they have a chance. If those teams sit out, I actually expect the Phillies to end up with one and the other is up in the air. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First installment for season tickets is due next week. I'm sure the Sox don't mind the chatter. But they need to do something. Attendance has declined from the previous season 11 out of the past 12 years. The only exception was when they significantly slashed ticket prices and tried to win, and it was a minimal increase. Last summer, Forbes had an article about local TV ratings. The Sox were 29th in the league, and lowest among teams based in the US. I really think a guy like Lucas Giolito, one of their higher profiled players, could walk down Michigan Ave wearing a White Sox hat on Black Friday, and not be bothered in the least. You can say everyone will come back when they win, but they had a few good seasons in there where they didn't come back, and more left. And it's now been over a decade of this. 

Whether it will lead to something as radical as this, I doubt. But they have to kick it up a notch.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great point DA. That's why I think they will go after Harper first. You're going to get a very good player and all of the fame and notoriety that comes with it. Machado may be the better player, but he will not bring that. Harper will also attract more FAs as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Great point DA. That's why I think they will go after Harper first. You're going to get a very good player and all of the fame and notoriety that comes with it. Machado may be the better player, but he will not bring that. Harper will also attract more FAs as well. 

With the TV contract up, it is getting to the point from where they would never do it, to maybe they would do it, to they would do it, to they have to do it. They miss out on this class and Arenado signs an extension, what's left that will create any kind of buzz? 

 

It's really the only thing that to me, makes this somewhat plausible. I just think in the end, it won't happen. They will never have problems having someone take their money. We just need it to be better players.

Edited by Dick Allen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, steveno89 said:

From a payroll flexibility standpoint I am not sure we can justify two mega contracts right now. If the rotation and pen were set, the rest of the roster just needing two big fish to plug and play then maybe you explore going all in? 

Mid market teams do not go out and spend crazy sums

This team will never be good for a sustained period if the Sox max out at $130M payrolls.  If they're serious about this rebuild, they'll get up up $180M-$200M payrolls in 2020-2025, or this whole rebuild was pointless anyway.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

With the TV contract up, it is getting to the point from where they would never do it, to maybe they would do it, to they would do it, to they have to do it. They miss out on this class and Arenado signs an extension, what's left that will create any kind of buzz? 

 

It's really the only thing that to me, makes this somewhat plausible. I just think in the end, it won't happen. They will never have problems having someone take their money. We just need it to be better players.

Well with our lack of a true payroll, there is no reason why we can't front load the hell out of a contract and offer more money overall. We need a really good hitter and a good veteran pitcher. They need to go all in, as it will not hurt them financially while players are available. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The White Sox Machado smoke started last off-season when they wanted to trade for him.  There seems to be some tangible thought that he is an option for the White Sox.

I also think Machado fits the White Sox fan demographic better then Harper but I have no scientific proof to that.  Harper fits my demographic draw but I'll watch either.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

The White Sox Machado smoke started last off-season when they wanted to trade for him.  There seems to be some tangible thought that he is an option for the White Sox.

I also think Machado fits the White Sox fan demographic better then Harper but I have no scientific proof to that.  Harper fits my demographic draw but I'll watch either.  

You mean race? Or?? 

Pretty sure Sox fans just want good players period haha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Were there ever any reports about what type of package the Sox offered for Machado last off season?

Just speculation mostly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually really like a structure like offering an 8 year / $325M to both Harper and Machado with the first 5 years at $50M, next three at $25M, with an opt out after 5 years.  So basically a 5 year $250M deal.  Therefore both players can still hit FA one more time while they're both ~31 assuming they opt out after 5 years.  Sox add $100M to the payroll each year the next 5 seasons, and should still have plenty of money to fill out the roster if they're serious about being good.  

Really no "surplus value" in those contract, but you're never going to sign a superstar FA and get surplus value.  As I've said before, you just hope they stay healthy and you're paying them what they're worth.  Go win a couple a championships in the next 5 years and its all worth it.  This would require Jerry to OK the payroll going into the $180-$200M range, but if he's not willing to do that, then this team was never going to good for long anyway.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I actually really like a structure like offering an 8 year / $325M to both Harper and Machado with the first 5 years at $50M, next three at $25M, with an opt out after 5 years.  So basically a 5 year $250M deal.  Therefore both players can still hit FA one more time while they're both ~31 assuming they opt out after 5 years.  Sox add $100M to the payroll each year the next 5 seasons, and should still have plenty of money to fill out the roster if they're serious about being good.  

Really no "surplus value" in those contract, but you're never going to sign a superstar FA and get surplus value.  As I've said before, you just hope they stay healthy and you're paying them what they're worth.  Go win a couple a championships in the next 5 years and its all worth it.  This would require Jerry to OK the payroll going into the $180-$200M range, but if he's not willing to do that, then this team was never going to good for long anyway.

I'm just not a big fan of that because it handicaps your spending in the short term. If none of the prospects (or not enough rather) take major strides in the duration of those 5 years, you've handicapped your spending. And then assuming they play about level to where they are now, they are gone and we don't even get to take advantage of them making a lesser salary. It really makes no sense to structure 2 deals like that unless you are also willing to go over the luxury tax number  to fix holes.

There's a possibility their deals could be front-loaded, but not that extreme.

Edited by soxfan2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I'm just not a big fan of that because it handicaps your spending in the short term. If none of the prospects (or not enough rather) take major strides in the duration of those 5 years, you've handicapped your spending. And then assuming they play about level to where they are now, they are gone and we don't even get to take advantage of them making a lesser salary. It really makes no sense to structure 2 deals like that unless you are also willing to go over the luxury tax number  to fix holes.

There's a possibility their deals could be front-loaded, but not that extreme.

You don't think they could field a competitive balance of team with another $100M with all the pre-arb guys the Sox will have?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

There's a possibility their deals could be front-loaded, but not that extreme.

Obviously less front loaded is preferred (like $40M), but trying to brainstorm ideas that these guys would actually accept.  Sure, itd be great to sign Machado and Harper to 10 year $250M contracts!!  WOOHOO.  Yah, never happening.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×