Midterms 2018

pettie4sox

15 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I think JB wins.

The rest of my vote didnt even matter at all. Im hoping that a few states pass marijuana legalization and that if JB gets elected it gets fast tracked for approval in IL. 

If JB does that, it will help the state tremendously!   If you have the other states rolling into Illinois to smoke dope, that's good for the economy.  It's on the ballot in Michigan and Missouri... Illinois needs to be the first.

6 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

If JB does that, it will help the state tremendously!   If you have the other states rolling into Illinois to smoke dope, that's good for the economy.  It's on the ballot in Michigan and Missouri... Illinois needs to be the first.

Unlikely IL beats either of them. But still would be positioned well if Chicago gets it before NY. 

Just now, LittleHurt05 said:

No matter what the election results are tonight, we are all winners tomorrow, because we no longer have to watch those disgusting, shaming, polarizing political ads on TV anymore.  Everyone has just turned to shame tactics to try and win votes.

Those tv ads are such wastes. It feels like the same company makes it for both sides "______ radical agenda ______ extreme views". There are so few times that I even watch a commercial, not to mention I voted 2 weeks ago...

JB on the other hand I couldnt get away from, because every website ad was "Hey JB". 

4 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Those tv ads are such wastes. It feels like the same company makes it for both sides "______ radical agenda ______ extreme views". There are so few times that I even watch a commercial, not to mention I voted 2 weeks ago...

JB on the other hand I couldnt get away from, because every website ad was "Hey JB". 

Every fucking ad on Youtube.

12 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

No matter what the election results are tonight, we are all winners tomorrow, because we no longer have to watch those disgusting, shaming, polarizing political ads on TV anymore.  Everyone has just turned to shame tactics to try and win votes.

This isn't exactly new. September and October commercials in even-numbered years are the WORST.

If I lived in VA-10 I'd have probably voted for Jennifer Wexton but she's got a commercial where she calls the incumbent "Barbara Trumpstock" that ran at least one every commercial break. Annoying.

Edited by lostfan

Sounds like we will start seeing results around 5pm CT as the first polls close.

Polling seems to be that the Dems very likely take the US House, and the GOP very likely holds the Senate. Dems probably make some ground on governors and state legislatures generally (this is key for 2020 redistricting).

In Illinois, JB has a wide lead on Rauner.

My favorite part of voting in the Chicago area each year is voting for the Green Party candidates for the Water Reclamation District. They don't have control over budget levels, just what to do with it. I would never vote Green for any other office, but really, if what you are looking for is who manages how your water is handled, who wouldn't want Green? lol

1 minute ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Sounds like we will start seeing results around 5pm CT as the first polls close.

Polling seems to be that the Dems very likely take the US House, and the GOP very likely holds the Senate. Dems probably make some ground on governors and state legislatures generally (this is key for 2020 redistricting).

In Illinois, JB has a wide lead on Rauner.

My favorite part of voting in the Chicago area each year is voting for the Green Party candidates for the Water Reclamation District. They don't have control over budget levels, just what to do with it. I would never vote Green for any other office, but really, if what you are looking for is who manages how your water is handled, who wouldn't want Green? lol

I'm curious to know how many votes the Nazi running against Dan Lipinski gets. He will almost certainly lose big, but he should be getting *zero* votes.

• Like 1

The governor race in Illinois is going to keep me from voting.....I voted for Trump because i disliked Hillary, don't regret as I really detested Hillary but I am not going to do it again....I actually like Rauner in theory but his execution was terrible.

The fact that the democratic constituents felt that JB was the best candidate is unsetteling to me.

I believe that 60% of the population is rather uninformed or stupid and vote for whoever they are told to vote for.

I live in Chicago and every politician other than US Senate, mayor and President of the United States that I would vote for was either handed their position or won simply because it was their time and they were a good solider for the Democratic party.  That is why Chicago/Cook and then Illinois are all f***ed.   

Edited by Harry Chappas
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The governor race in Illinois is going to keep me from voting.....I voted for Trump because i disliked Hillary, don't regret as I really detested Hillary but I am not going to do it again....I actually like Rauner in theory but his execution was terrible.

The fact that the democratic constituents felt that JB was the best candidate is unsetteling to me.

I believe that 60% of the population is rather uninformed or stupid and vote for whoever they are told to vote for.

I live in Chicago and every politician other than US Senate, mayor and President of the United States that I would vote for was either handed their position or won simply because it was their time and they were a good solider for the Democratic party.  That is why Chicago/Cook and then Illinois are all f***ed.   

Honestly, having nothing to do with party... are you saying that the fact that one race has two bad candidates (happens too often sadly), you aren't going to vote for anything at all? That makes me sad. Go vote! Pick a 3rd party or whatever. Don't let that 60% use the power of your vote that you gave up!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lostfan said:

I'm curious to know how many votes the Nazi running against Dan Lipinski gets. He will almost certainly lose big, but he should be getting *zero* votes.

Some people just vote one-party all the way down. And won't even realize he's an actual Nazi. There are some very uninformed people out there.

Plus there will be a few percent of people who see that as a feature, sadly.

I will probably go and vote to Rauner

There is a judge that I want to vote against as well. 

I don't want to vote for Lipinski he or his father have been my US rep my entire life and neither have done a single thing that I am aware of...scroll up to see my other option there

Fran Hurley is my Illinois Rep and she appears to have less of an impact than Lipinski....she was the 19th ward committee chair or something and was handed her role after the state senator retired and state rep took the senator's position

My alderman won 90% of the vote and is rather unqualified to hold public office but he was the ward committee person and became alderman when the current alderman retired.  He bows down to Rahm and was named the head of the aviation department.....he knows shit about aviation but is now set for life and can hand our contracts to croonies at the airports.

In Chicago/Cook/Illinois pockets are lined and the machine chugs along like it never has before. 

Honestly my vote does not matter...maybe I will vote for mayor that's looking to be an interesting as hell type of race and real shitshow. 

Jesse White is running for reelection and is going to retire after he fills the mandated time after the election in order to hand the position off to one of his siblings. 

Nobody pays the price for the crisis we are in, in Chciago/Cook/Illinois.  

Well hopefully Rauner pays for being one of the worst governors. I mean he actually vetoed a bill that would have made it illegal for banks to charge fees on rebate cards: HB4922

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/fulltext.asp?DocName=&SessionId=91&GA=100&DocTypeId=HB&DocNum=4922&GAID=14&LegID=110336&SpecSess=&Session=

Why would this even matter, unless you are trying to appease big banks. 

48 minutes ago, lostfan said:

There's no meaningful/scientific way to measure this sort of thing, but friends of mine in Texas and Florida are suuuuuuuuper passionate about Beto O'Rourke and Andrew Gillum.

I live down here and Beto is a complete fraud.  He just blurts out the same idealistic shit over and over.

“We aren’t republicans, we aren’t democrats, we’re americans and Texans, all of us, together!   It doesn’t matter where you are from, your race, your sex, your sexual orientation, we’re all human beings and you’re in the right place, right here! People deserve a good education, good healthcare and a good job! I met Barbara Stevens-Lopez, single mother of 65 kids and her job isn’t enough to support them...Cindy Thompson from (obscure Texas city) has a disease that needs curing.”

Great, man.  Nobody disagrees with that shit.  Now what are you going to do about it?  I just can’t wait until tmrw when it’s over and I don’t have to see anymore videos on Facebook of him with rolled up sleeves,  sweating and spewing this garbage.  It’s not even policy.  You should be forced to talk SOME policy.  I would prefer only policy, but at least some.   He’s really just running for president.  It’s coming.  

Don’t let his sweatiness fool you in 2020. 

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I live down here and Beto is a complete fraud.  He just blurts out the same idealistic shit over and over.

“We aren’t republicans, we aren’t democrats, we’re americans and Texans, all of us, together!   It doesn’t matter where you are from, your race, your sex, your sexual orientation, we’re all human beings and you’re in the right place, right here! People deserve a good education, good healthcare and a good job! I met Barbara Stevens-Lopez, single mother of 65 kids and her job isn’t enough to support them...Cindy Thompson from (obscure Texas city) has a disease that needs curing.”

Great, man.  Nobody disagrees with that shit.  Now what are you going to do about it?  I just can’t wait until tmrw when it’s over and I don’t have to see anymore videos on Facebook of him with rolled up sleeves,  sweating and spewing this garbage.  It’s not even policy.  You should be forced to talk SOME policy.  I would prefer only policy, but at least some.   He’s really just running for president.  It’s coming.  

I mean, that is Cruz. Except what Cruz does is more like performing Texas cosplay. "Texas is great and uhhhh that was all me and not those San Francisco liberals, I'll stand up to them" standard "they're all out to get us" type rhetoric. All politicians do this when they're campaigning, though. That's the job.

1 hour ago, Jerksticks said:

How is Cruz better?  You guys should have primaried that clown.

Edited by pettie4sox
  • Like 1

I split my ticket this year. I can’t stand Madigan and don’t trust Pritzker, but I didnt care for everything Rauner did either. I ended up voting for Rauner because I’m a new homeowner and am worried about my property taxes, hoping they can remain frozen. I will be interested to see if David Olsen gets re-elected tonight and if Sean Casten can unseat Peter Roskam, a seat that has been held by republicans since the 70s.

I am hopeful that FiveThirtyEight’s models are correct and democrats will take over the house and minimize the damage in the Senate. It sounds like Hietkamp will lose in ND, it will be a close race in MO and the democrats have a good chance of winning in Arizona. I am a little concerned that the house won’t fall with as big of a majority to the democrats and don’t feel positive that they will win key governor races - Gillum and Abrams for instance. I hope Casten wins since I campaigned for him, but it depends on how riled up the democratic base is, how many women (regardless of party) voted for him and the turnout to counter Roskam. FiveThirtyEight said it was a toss up so we will see what happens. 

Hopefully they get the house majority tonight and I don’t wake up on Thursday feeling the way I did the Wednesday after in 2016.

• Tony locked this topic