Mariners planning to tear it down

bmags

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

He then qualified that Haniger, Paxton, Diaz unlikely to be traded.

If this is happening I can't believe Dipoto gets to run this rebuild.

Being stuck in the middle is arguably one of the worst places to be in professional sports. Not bad enough to go through a total teardown, but not good enough to really contend. 

Hanover, Paxton and Diaz all would be great pieces, but I do not think the Sox are there yet. 

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

Being stuck in the middle is arguably one of the worst places to be in professional sports. Not bad enough to go through a total teardown, but not good enough to really contend. 

Hanover, Paxton and Diaz all would be great pieces, but I do not think the Sox are there yet. 

They won 89 games, and didn't have Cano half the season. Middle isn't nearly as bad in any sport except the NBA. 

• Like 1

Also the Mariners have been the white sox spirit animal. I was secretly still hoping Dipoto pulled out a playoff birth despite having already seen the future and knowing it will fail.

A lot of his paper clip trades ended up being terrible. If you are consistently trading with the rays, you are probably losing.

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Sox lucky to be in the best division for rebuilding.

Astros have a ton of talent still, and the Angels have both Trout/Ohtani and an owner willing to spend in a big market...along with a new manager.

We'll see about the Angels. A's are a team where you never know what you'll get. They were great this year but who knows how they will do next year.

Edit: they seem like the type of team that would add Nelson Cruz on like a 2-year deal.

Edited by soxfan2014

Of course, (for 2019 alone) the Mariners are still stuck with King Felix ($27 million), Cano ($24 million)...even Seager is $19 million, which seems crazy, although he was pretty darned good before last year.

That's more or less $70 million.

And it doesn't even include another $50 million to Leake, Segura, Dee Gordon and Nicasio.

The only contracts that could be relatively easy to move there are Segura and Seager (will have to send back something really nice or eat salary).

This is the exact position the White Sox don't want to be in in 2022-23-24...with a handful of overpriced veterans they're going to have to offload at 25 or 50 cents on the dollar.  And they're still cutting payroll even with a billion dollar tv rights deal in place for Root Sports.

Edited by caulfield12

I was wondering about Seager for 3b.  Plays everyday, decent glove, LHB would look good in our lineup.  However, now 31 with two declining years and has 3 years and nearly 60 million still owed to him.  Think you could get him for salary relief with minimal prospect cost but man what I hoped would look good looks like a high risk of burning you.

Edited by BamaDoc