2018-9 MLB off season free agency thread

southsider2k5

4 minutes ago, EvilJester99 said:

Ken Rosenthal‏Verified account @Ken_Rosenthal

#Astros closing in on free-agent outfielder Michael Brantley, sources tell The Athletic. Rival executives expect deal to be in two-year, $32M range.

This is a lost opportunity for the Sox IMO. We should’ve given him 4y 55mil

6 minutes ago, EvilJester99 said:

Ken Rosenthal‏Verified account @Ken_Rosenthal

#Astros closing in on free-agent outfielder Michael Brantley, sources tell The Athletic. Rival executives expect deal to be in two-year, $32M range.

That's about the deal I'd hoped the Sox would offer. I wouldn't want him if he cost much more than that.

I hope the Sox at least talk to the Astros. They should know our team pretty well from the Avi Garcia discussions. I'd look into, in this order,

Derek Fisher -- really like his bat and intangibles all around. He's been stuck in this weird up/down role for them for two years now. This would be a buy low situation.

Tony Kemp - He could step right in and fill CF pretty admirably in my opinion. I think they like him, but not enough to not bring in Brantley

Josh Reddick - I think at this point it's almost where the Astros would have to throw in some money too. I think he has two years, $13mm a piece left. I don't think he's worth that money, but maybe I'd take him on at $8-10mm a year for two years if we don't get Harper. Stick him in LF or RF with Eloy. Again, not actually advocating that, but saying I'd maybe kick the tires on it.

The first two on that list though I'd definitely WANT.

The Astros are going to have a tough time fitting all those guys in the outfield along with Gurriel in LF every now and again. They now have Brantley, Reddick, Springer, Fisher, Kemp and Tucker.

You could also have Marisnick for a bag of balls, but not sure how that's any better than having Engel really. Just some additional power.

1 minute ago, BrianAnderson said:

I hope the Sox at least talk to the Astros. They should know our team pretty well from the Avi Garcia discussions. I'd look into, in this order,

Derek Fisher -- really like his bat and intangibles all around. He's been stuck in this weird up/down role for them for two years now. This would be a buy low situation.

Tony Kemp - He could step right in and fill CF pretty admirably in my opinion. I think they like him, but not enough to not bring in Brantley

Josh Reddick - I think at this point it's almost where the Astros would have to throw in some money too. I think he has two years, $13mm a piece left. I don't think he's worth that money, but maybe I'd take him on at $8-10mm a year for two years if we don't get Harper. Stick him in LF or RF with Eloy. Again, not actually advocating that, but saying I'd maybe kick the tires on it.

The first two on that list though I'd definitely WANT.

The Astros are going to have a tough time fitting all those guys in the outfield along with Gurriel in LF every now and again. They now have Brantley, Reddick, Springer, Fisher, Kemp and Tucker.

You could also have Marisnick for a bag of balls, but not sure how that's any better than having Engel really. Just some additional power.

Talk to the Astros about who though? Who would they want from us? I don't think there's really a fit for a trade between both clubs.

8 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Talk to the Astros about who though? Who would they want from us? I don't think there's really a fit for a trade between both clubs.

Not sure to be honest. It's the team that has everything.... MLB talent, AAA talent, depth... I'm not sure what they could want from us. Abreu clearly, but that doesn't make us any better.

I guess they'd be looking at bullpen and arms? They just have a glutton of talent in the OF so I'm not sure what they do with it all. It's how the Blue Jays ended up with Teoscar Hernandez for Liriano rental. Not like Hernandez is some world beater, just a decent talent for a  month of Liriano. Feel like a Kemp or Fisher probably wouldn't cost that much if you can find the right match.