2018-9 MLB off season free agency thread

southsider2k5

6 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Honestly I can see the Astros sign Cruz  to DH and trade for Realmuto as well.

I wouldn't be shocked, but I also wouldn't understand it. If it takes Tucker I think its a mistake. Also I don't really get these teams that were going after Realmuto either.. why not sign Ramos for 2-3 years like the Mets. So much less to pay.

9 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

I wouldn't be shocked, but I also wouldn't understand it. If it takes Tucker I think its a mistake. Also I don't really get these teams that were going after Realmuto either.. why not sign Ramos for 2-3 years like the Mets. So much less to pay.

You answered your own question.  Not unlike their motivation to acquire Gerrit Cole, the Astros probably perceive Realmuto as a real difference maker, as opposed to the oft-injured Ramos. 

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

You answered your own question.  Not unlike their motivation to acquire Gerrit Cole, the Astros probably perceive Realmuto as a real difference maker, as opposed to the oft-injured Ramos. 

I'd rather hold onto my top prospect(s) and have Wilson Ramos. Just my own stance. I actually wish the Sox didn't sign Castillo last year and had nobody this offseason. I'd take Wilson Ramos at basically the same contract we handed out to Castillo.

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Erasamo Ramirez gets minors deals with Red Sox. 

That's annoying. I don't want to get dramatic over Erasamo Ramirez because ... I mean... he's just him. However - these are the type of deals Hahn needs to be making to supplement the team. It's like last year passing on Bucholz or not exploring Franky Liriano, Mike Fiers, etc. There's no downside to signing Ramirez to a major league contract let alone a minor league pact. He is a very useful swing man who can start or come out of the pen. He's a better version of hector Santiago.

That's all the complaining I'll do on Ramirez because he doesn't warrant much more. Only thing I'll add it to check on Matt shoemaker. Another guy who can add something to this team.

11 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

I'd rather hold onto my top prospect(s) and have Wilson Ramos. Just my own stance. I actually wish the Sox didn't sign Castillo last year and had nobody this offseason. I'd take Wilson Ramos at basically the same contract we handed out to Castillo.

Now that I can agree with...unless Castillo gives the Sox a better shot at Harper/Machado than Ramos, which is all just conjecture at this point, and would be over analyzing by quite a bit to argue that Hahn had the foresight to sign Castillo a year early, largely to influence Machado's free agency process/selection.

6 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

That's annoying. I don't want to get dramatic over Erasamo Ramirez because ... I mean... he's just him. However - these are the type of deals Hahn needs to be making to supplement the team. It's like last year passing on Bucholz or not exploring Franky Liriano, Mike Fiers, etc. There's no downside to signing Ramirez to a major league contract let alone a minor league pact. He is a very useful swing man who can start or come out of the pen. He's a better version of hector Santiago.

That's all the complaining I'll do on Ramirez because he doesn't warrant much more. Only thing I'll add it to check on Matt shoemaker. Another guy who can add something to this team.

If you look at the return for guys like Swarzak, MiGo, Albers, etc., unless he's the kind of reliever who can pitch effectively at any point in the game (see Jordan Hicks) and is bringing 97+ heat, the market for serviceable innings eaters is just not what it used to be.  Of course, there is value, look at the contract that Ivan Nova has, although he wasn't originally signed with the idea he was a 4/5 back-end guy.

We have a ton of minor league relievers with upside spread out from High A to AAA, this swing man role is probably one that we should look at all the internal options (guys like Covey and Fulmer) and exhaust those before looking outside the organization.

I wanted Joe Kelly, but that was turning him back into a starter...and putting him back in the pen if that failed.