2018-9 MLB off season free agency thread

southsider2k5

Just now, Baker said:

If the Sox could land Machado and Grandal, that would make Welly and Madrigal expendable. We need to add pitching. Would Cleveland take those 2 for Mike Clevenger?  He has 4 years of control left. 

Cleveland isn't gonna trade a solid young arm to us.  

16 minutes ago, Baker said:

If the Sox could land Machado and Grandal, that would make Welly and Madrigal expendable. We need to add pitching. Would Cleveland take those 2 for Mike Clevenger?  He has 4 years of control left. 

Madrigal isn't going anywhere

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Contract structures are just getting fucking nuts now.

I guess good thing for the Sox is they don’t sign too many of them things called contracts....😂 

this offseason is starting to become brutal....seems like forever since the Sox have made a move

24 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Yeah, I think that sets the goal for Ottavino too, which sucks.

What sucks, if the White SOX like him then go get him, why is ever Sox fan worried about ownership's money he ain't worried about yours, all I see on this site is, this player and this player costs too much, we need quality players.

1 minute ago, whitesoxbrad said:

What sucks, if the White SOX like him then go get him, why is ever Sox fan worried about ownership's money he ain't worried about yours, all I see on this site is, this player and this player costs too much, we need quality players.

Exactly! 

If he gets a deal like Britton just got, the value of it is shot.  No matter how much you wanna throw logic and calculated reasoning out the door, it's still there.  You stretch on a guy like Ottavino, you're just pulling away from where we might be able to go with Machado.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, whitesoxbrad said:

Eventually the money runs out. If you spend it all on over priced players you lose. 

As fans, there is truth in what you are saying, but we also need to remain logical about the process and realize there is limits. Can't just root to sign everyone we want at astronomical prices. 

1 minute ago, bschmaranz said:

If he gets a deal like Britton just got, the value of it is shot.  No matter how much you wanna throw logic and calculated reasoning out the door, it's still there.  You stretch on a guy like Ottavino, you're just pulling away from where we might be able to go with Machado.

If you want to sit down at the poker table and play cards with the big boys then play and  deal with it, if not then go to a different table.

If you want to sit down at the poker table and play cards with the big boys then play and  deal with it, if not then go to a different table.

Spoken like someone with absolutely no understanding of reality. :rolleyes:

You go a head and over spend on Zach Britton or Ottavino. Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are we still "in" on Harper? If not, that should be some extra cash that could be spent in other areas of need.

2 minutes ago, whitesoxbrad said:

1) You're making it way too simple.

2) How do you know we're not at the table right now?  Are you expecting us to give these guys ultimatums, "take it or leave it" scenarios.  It's a chess game, and a really fucking long one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Eventually the money runs out. If you spend it all on over priced players you lose. 

As fans, there is truth in what you are saying, but we also need to remain logical about the process and realize there is limits. Can't just root to sign everyone we want at astronomical prices. 

To date they have gotten nothing,  i hope there limit is more than the 50 or so million payroll they have, and all I am saying is if the team really believes in him then go get him, if he is too much then dont

Just now, beckham15 said:

I think they are in on him but there isn’t going to be anything of relevance on Harper until after Machado signs 

I keep reading that the Nats are upping their offer for Harper. As mentioned on the board earlier this is really getting confusing. Like chess I guess.

Just now, Saufley said:

I keep reading that the Nats are upping their offer for Harper. As mentioned on the board earlier this is really getting confusing. Like chess I guess.

Especially when it comes to Harper, everything on him right now I would guess is posturing to up offers, I don’t doubt they’ve had contact with Washington but I highly doubt the rumors of him going back there is anything other than plants put out by Boras

5 minutes ago, whitesoxbrad said:

To date they have gotten nothing,  i hope there limit is more than the 50 or so million payroll they have, and all I am saying is if the team really believes in him then go get him, if he is too much then dont

If your argument is that the White Sox Front office is cheap and needs to up their fucking game, then I generally agree with you with the one caveat being if we get one or both of Harper/Machado.

But your argument in this thread is asinine -- suggesting to throw money at players like it means nothing.

If we don't get one of Harper/Machado and go into the season with such a small limited payroll -- I'm with you, Fuck this team, but be patient before we start throwing all of our money at the Zach Britton's and Michael Brantley's of the world. 

25 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

It's this. No one cares about the ownerships profit margin except those who are bitter. The idea that people care about payroll as it relates to profit margin is internet trolling at its finest.

People care about payroll because they realize that teams will only spend so much money,  and if you jam the team with bad payroll it means less will be spent subsequently than there would be if that payroll didn't exist.

It should be a common sense assumption but for some reason it gets turned into some irrelevant talking point that doesn't really exist. 

1 hour ago, whitesoxbrad said:

You’re the guy who keep pushing for the Sox to make terrible moves for the sake a making a move, without considering the team needs and resources we have available, then comes back and vents that the Sox has made too many terrible moves and keep putting shit product on the field, and that you wouldn’t spend a single dime on the team and would go root for another team. What are you still here?

• Haha 1
  • Love 1