2018-9 MLB off season free agency thread

southsider2k5

Holland learning the great trick of signing with the white sox to bottom out your career, then regaining form the next year and getting a nice contract.

I do not particularly like this trend of sox free agent signings either ending upt he next year out of baseball or much better than when on sox.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Holland learning the great trick of signing with the white sox to bottom out your career, then regaining form the next year and getting a nice contract.

I do not particularly like this trend of sox free agent signings either ending upt he next year out of baseball or much better than when on sox.

Pitching in the NL usually helps that.  

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

I am in conflict over this. I wanted the Sox to move on but I also think this has the potential to bite us later.

We gave the guy 6 years and he had one above average season.  It was time to pull the cord, both on our end and his.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I am in conflict over this. I wanted the Sox to move on but I also think this has the potential to bite us later.

Maybe the new hitting analytics guy could have helped him, but I'm sure he was consulted before Avi was non tendered. If he ever gets his swing to a point he is putting it in the air most of the time, he is capable of huge numbers. But he is always hurt and is going to slow down, so he eventually will be strickly a DH or have to learn 1B.  And they had one year of control. Made the decision easier I would imagine.

Just now, bmags said:

Man, Grandal also had a team option. What an incredible deal for Milwaukee.

Yah, that sucks.  Pretty significant piece of news.  There goes our chance of nabbing him next season.  At $16M with a $2.25M buyout, pretty much no shot its not picked up unless he's TERRIBLE in 2019. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, that sucks.  Pretty significant piece of news.  There goes our chance of nabbing him next season.  At $16M with a $2.25M buyout, pretty much no shot its not picked up unless he's TERRIBLE in 2019. 

NVM it was a MUTUAL option so it's still just a 1 year deal.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

To answer my own question, Passan is saying mutual option.  I haven't seen the other two correct themselves yet.

Rosenthal has now corrected to say mutual option.  

This is much better (and makes wayyyyyy more sense). 

4 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Yeah I thought it was pretty high too when I first saw it, and it makes sense since it looks like it isn't real. 

I was happy when Heyman shot it down.  It initially broke my heart, I want Marwin in a Sox uni next season.