1B Marwin Gonzalez

2B Asdrubal Cabrera

3B Mike Moustakas

SS Manny Machado

LF Nick Markakis

CF AJ Pollock

RF Bryce Harper

DH Evan Gattis/Adam Jones/Carlos Gonzalez/Curtis Granderson

It's January 18th and you can make a good lineup out of the remaining free agents (I will admit, catcher was tough to place, hence Gattis sliding in).

Edit: looking at that lineup, there are a lot of ex-O's.

Edited by soxfan2014

29 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

C Matt Wieters/Evan Gattis

1B Marwin Gonzalez

2B Asdrubal Cabrera

3B Mike Moustakas

SS Manny Machado

LF Nick Markakis

CF Adam Jones

RF Bryce Harper

DH Evan Gattis/Matt Davidson/Carlos Gonzalez

It's January 18th and you can make a decent lineup out of the remaining free agents (I will admit, catcher was tough to place, hence Gattis sliding in).

Pollock?

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Oh damn. I overlooked him.

Rest of your list is good.  Maybe Maldonado at catcher but yeah, still some pieces out there besides Harpchado.  I still would live for us to get in on Marwin, and depending on the years, Pollock.

12 minutes ago, KillahPriest said:

Regardless of the Machado/Harper outcomes, would anybody be against signing Kimbrel and creating a lights out bullpen to help the younger staff?

It would be nice to have that stellar back end of the pen, but any more additions would really take away reps from the young guys. We need to see what they’re capable of this year. 

19 minutes ago, KillahPriest said:

Regardless of the Machado/Harper outcomes, would anybody be against signing Kimbrel and creating a lights out bullpen to help the younger staff?

For $20+ million on a one year deal?   No way.  There’s never going to be more upside than downside on a rebuilding team.   Maybe with Machado, they would consider it, but another contender will be the one to sign him on a short/er term deal.  Next year, it’s something to realistically look at, hoping development of youngsters makes it unnecessary.

I know this is the FA thread but is anyone surprised/disappointed the Sox haven't been more active re: trades? One need only look across town to find assets who would look good in black and white. Gotta believe Mike Montgomery (LHP) currently buried among Cub rotation/bullpen arms and Albert Almora (CF) could be pried away. Cubs desperately need BP help (Nate Jones?) and some middle IF flexibility depending on what they do with Russell. Plus I'm guessing they would love to reduce payroll (Chatwood?). If not Cubs, there are several other teams (i.e.Cardinals) with interesting trade chits who could help in 2019 and beyond. 

1 minute ago, Flash said:

I know this is the FA thread but is anyone surprised/disappointed the Sox haven't been more active re: trades? One need only look across town to find assets who would look good in black and white. Gotta believe Mike Montgomery (LHP) currently buried among Cub rotation/bullpen arms and Albert Almora (CF) could be pried away. Cubs desperately need BP help (Nate Jones?) and some middle IF flexibility depending on what they do with Russell. Plus I'm guessing they would love to reduce payroll (Chatwood?). If not Cubs, there are several other teams (i.e.Cardinals) with interesting trade chits who could help in 2019 and beyond. 

They can’t afford to trade Almora with Happ struggling a bit, Zobrist entering his last year and a cloud over Russell.

Hard to imagine how trading Almora could make them better for this year.  Jones wouldn’t be nearly enough with his injury history.   And we don’t have any outfielders that could help them this year.   Even Leury and Jones wouldn’t get it done.

22 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

For $20+ million on a one year deal?   No way.  There’s never going to be more upside than downside on a rebuilding team.   Maybe with Machado, they would consider it, but another contender will be the one to sign him on a short/er term deal.  Next year, it’s something to realistically look at, hoping development of youngsters makes it unnecessary.

If the Sox have payroll, absolutely would. He could net you 2-3 really good prospects at the deadline.

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They can’t afford to trade Almora with Happ struggling a bit, Zobrist entering his last year and a cloud over Russell.

Hard to imagine how trading Almora could make them better for this year.  Jones wouldn’t be nearly enough with his injury history.   And we don’t have any outfielders that could help them this year.   Even Leury and Jones wouldn’t get it done.

But what if we sign Machado and he wants to play SS. Gotta believe Anderson and his contract would be compelling to several teams...Almoa, Montgomery and Nico Hoerner for Anderson and Jones?