2018-9 MLB off season free agency thread

southsider2k5

On 1/10/2019 at 8:11 PM, soxfan2014 said:

I was going to say, they were with the Reds together. Alonso, Grandal and Boxberger were traded for our good friend Mat Latos. At that point, I remember telling my friend Cubs would probably deal for Rizzo (and obviously, they did). Padres fucked that one up.

3 minutes ago, Flash said:

But what if we sign Machado and he wants to play SS. Gotta believe Anderson and his contract would be compelling to several teams...Almoa, Montgomery and Nico Hoerner for Anderson and Jones?

They won’t or shouldn’t let Machado dictate his position.  You can’t strengthen your team only to simultaneously weaken it.  Montgomery isn’t the kind of difference-maker at this point in his career you trade real talent for.  

And the Cubs’ current need for Almora is much larger than ours because of 7 outfield prospects being in the pipeline, including 4 that can play CF.

If we deal anyone to them, let it be Colome or Herrera at mid season, but just not seeing a match...or a reason to help out the Cubs by freeing up payroll space for someone like Chatwood.

On 1/14/2019 at 4:30 PM, southsider2k5 said:

It was time. I said it would happen going into this winter and wasn't surprised at all by it.

You and 3/4 of any poster who commented on it . Not me of course. I fully admitted it could happen and even used his potential non tender in certain trade or FA scenarios  but wouldn't have minded a cheaper reunion when it became apparent we aren't getting Harper . But since that's dragged on Avi gotta do what he gotta do.

14 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Gray expected to go to the Reds for 2 prospects and a draft pick. If they sign Keuchel, you can see a decent team next year.

Sadly they're still probably 4th in that division, unless Gray and Keuchel find the wayback machine.

34 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Gray expected to go to the Reds for 2 prospects and a draft pick. If they sign Keuchel, you can see a decent team next year.

Based on the names being floated I don't get the trade.... TWO 50 FV guys and probably a competetive balance pick.. I don't get it.. Maybe this is why the Reds are always garbage

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

And then they lose Gray, Puig, & Wood to free agency the following year.  I get signing guys to one year deals, but giving up prospect currency for rentals is crazy in their position.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

Based on the names being floated I don't get the trade.... TWO 50 FV guys and probably a competetive balance pick.. I don't get it.. Maybe this is why the Reds are always garbage

If they give up both those guys and a draft pick it will be the single dumbest trade since the Shelby Miller fiasco.

3 hours ago, Flash said:

But what if we sign Machado and he wants to play SS. Gotta believe Anderson and his contract would be compelling to several teams...Almoa, Montgomery and Nico Hoerner for Anderson and Jones?

I don't know why a team would give up something of value for Anderson when they could just sign Jose Iglesias for probably comparable money.

16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't know why a team would give up something of value for Anderson when they could just sign Jose Iglesias for probably comparable money.

Agreed

If Machado insisting on SS is the case, I'd say our best bet (while we're not in "compete mode" just yet) is to try Tim out at another spot, whether that be center or third or second, whatever.  

Edited by bschmaranz

15 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Agreed

If Machado insisting on SS is the case, I'd say our best bet (while we're not in "compete mode" just yet) is to try Tim out at another spot, whether that be center or third or second, whatever.  

If MM is insisting he must play SS then I continue to believe the right move is to say "good luck finding someone to pay you to play at that position on this free agent market".

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If MM is insisting he must play SS then I continue to believe the right move is to say "good luck finding someone to pay you to play at that position on this free agent market".

Yeah, I don't buy that he's insisting on anything at this point.  I keep kinda flip flopping on this, I was pretty adamant about him playing third or nothing.  Now that I'm confident it's not gonna be some crazy $400 deal, I say let him play SS for now.  More time there I think he can get to an above average level at the position.

20 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Yeah, I don't buy that he's insisting on anything at this point.  I keep kinda flip flopping on this, I was pretty adamant about him playing third or nothing.  Now that I'm confident it's not gonna be some crazy $400 deal, I say let him play SS for now.  More time there I think he can get to an above average level at the position.

This is one where I think the simple decision is the right one. Right now, Machado, Anderson, Moncada is a good defensive infield, maybe very good if we see some improvement from Moncada or if Madrigal takes his spot. Right now, Sanchez/Moustakas, Machado, Moncada is a poor defensive infield, maybe could get to average if you see improvement out of people. Anderson is an average player because he's decent at playing SS, Machado is a poor defensive SS and a strong defensive 3b. Machado at SS means you're discarding an average player because you're getting rid of the one thing he's good at (playing SS, now he has to figure out CF of something like that), you're making Machado a worse player because he has a lot of work to do just to get to average, and you've still got an obvious hole at 3b that you coulda just filled with Machado.

Machado as the SS just makes no sense to me.

28 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This is one where I think the simple decision is the right one. Right now, Machado, Anderson, Moncada is a good defensive infield, maybe very good if we see some improvement from Moncada or if Madrigal takes his spot. Right now, Sanchez/Moustakas, Machado, Moncada is a poor defensive infield, maybe could get to average if you see improvement out of people. Anderson is an average player because he's decent at playing SS, Machado is a poor defensive SS and a strong defensive 3b. Machado at SS means you're discarding an average player because you're getting rid of the one thing he's good at (playing SS, now he has to figure out CF of something like that), you're making Machado a worse player because he has a lot of work to do just to get to average, and you've still got an obvious hole at 3b that you coulda just filled with Machado.

Machado as the SS just makes no sense to me.

Since he is on record that he prefers SS to 3B, I'd tell him its his. The risk is that he signs somewhere he can play SS. Personally, I prefer him to Anderson at SS anyway, despite TAs improvement. I also feel its inevitable Moncada slides to 3rd so I would move him there now, assuming we sign MM. I'd like us to find a stopgap 2B until Madrigal is ready and start the season.

10 minutes ago, Flash said:

Since he is on record that he prefers SS to 3B, I'd tell him its his. The risk is that he signs somewhere he can play SS. Personally, I prefer him to Anderson at SS anyway, despite TAs improvement. I also feel its inevitable Moncada slides to 3rd so I would move him there now, assuming we sign MM. I'd like us to find a stopgap 2B until Madrigal is ready and start the season.

That would probably be Yolmer or Asdrubal Cabrera at 2B.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, drgiggles15 said:

How does everyone feel about Sale coming back? Were there burned bridges between him and the fans/management? Would everyone want him back?

Yes I think the bridges were burned between him in management.

I would not be mad about the concept of him coming back if the org could get around that. However...

2 years ago at this time people were saying "we need more hitters" because we had traded for so much pitching. Next year's rotation has potentially Rodon, Kopech, Lopez, Giolito, Dunning, and Cease already, and that's assuming no one else has a good year. At some point, we have to sink or swim with these guys. So...there's  pitching available next offseason but I'm not sure the fit is right. We'll see how this year goes.

• Haha 1

If Dodgers sign Pollock that has to take them 100% out of the Harper Sweepstakes.

Nationals have no legitimate chance either.

The Harper sweepstakes is really going to come down to the Phillies and White Sox as I've stated before. Phillies with the hedge since we will likely sign Machado and won't put up a ton of money like they do. I think Harper is better off here tho since the AL has the DH.