2018-9 MLB off season free agency thread

southsider2k5

5 minutes ago, BigSexy23 said:

I'm really kind of annoyed as to why the White Sox decided to trade for Nova instead of giving one of these serviceable starters just over a mil per year.... 

Machado Connection...not unlike the Rainbow Connection.  We have to view every move through this prism unless/until it backfires.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BigSexy23 said:

I'm really kind of annoyed as to why the White Sox decided to trade for Nova instead of giving one of these serviceable starters just over a mil per year.... 

What;s wrong with you ? Are you trolling ? You brought this up 3 pages ago and I told you exactly why we got Nova and yet here you are again saying the same thing.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

What;s wrong with you ? Are you trolling ? You brought this up 3 pages ago and I told you exactly why we got Nova and yet here you are again saying the same thing.

No....just in wake of Jeremy Hellickson signing for 1.3 mil

9 minutes ago, BigSexy23 said:

No....just in wake of Jeremy Hellickson signing for 1.3 mil

91 innings for Hellickson last year because of injuries. Great Sign him to be 5th starter but he doesn't replace the 4 starter like Nova who pitched 160 innings. No one wants to pay guys who get injured.  You're just singing the same song with a different verse. Different pitcher same siory as before .

25 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

91 innings for Hellickson last year because of injuries. Great Sign him to be 5th starter but he doesn't replace the 4 starter like Nova who pitched 160 innings. No one wants to pay guys who get injured.  You're just singing the same song with a different verse. Different pitcher same siory as before .

I'm Enery the 8th I am, Enery the 8th I am, I am. I got married to the widow next door.......

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Wrong. It wouldn't have . Which ptchers ? Come on tell me who instead of Nova.

Whoa whoa easy there Donald. 

Estrada would have been ok, Liriano on a minor league deal I would have been fine with. Sure, they threw less innings than Nova, but it's not like Nova himself tossed 200+ innings. In my eyes, he's not  an innings eater. Just a warm body that we could have filled for cheaper in free agency.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 1

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

Lol hell, they might as well have brought him back for only a couple of million instead. He did throw more innings.

With the outlook for this season, it wouldn't have bothered me.  I like the idea of someone who you can bank on 200 IP from.  Nova is the same idea as Shields, just an inning less IP per start effectively.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

With the outlook for this season, it wouldn't have bothered me.  I like the idea of someone who you can bank on 200 IP from.  Nova is the same idea as Shields, just an inning less IP per start effectively.

Yeah. And I don't even hate that we picked him up. Just that we could have filled the spot for less is all.

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah. And I don't even hate that we picked him up. Just that we could have filled the spot for less is all.

That's the case with basically every move we made this offseason save 1. We've probably wasted about $15-20 million more than we needed depending on how you count Machado's friends. But at some point, this team has plenty of money,  and unless that $15 million is what it would take to get Machado to sign right now, it doesn't change the long term plans all that much.

I still dislike the player we gave away in one of those trades more than any of the money we took on.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

That's the case with basically every move we made this offseason save 1. We've probably wasted about $15-20 million more than we needed depending on how you count Machado's friends. But at some point, this team has plenty of money,  and unless that $15 million is what it would take to get Machado to sign right now, it doesn't change the long term plans all that much.

I would definitely throw Alonso and Jay in a different bucket since they are here for one reason, ha.

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Call or Rosario? 

Narvaez. Rosario's a wild card, not a huge loss, and even if Call turns into a monster next year, he wasn't going to get playing time in our organization with the # of OFs we have.

Narvaez was not a good defender, but he was also a raw catcher who hit well, which isn't something easy to find. Stick Narvaez in as the backup behind the beef wellington with the artificial animal hormone injections for a year, work with him on his defense, go sign a reliever for $4 million, and you're better off than the White Sox are right now, unless they can suddenly turn Colome into an amazing stud with a mechanic change. Worst case scenario you non-tender Narvaez next offseason and you've saved $6 million in the process, best case scenario Narvaez improves with the bats and starts looking like a DH or improves with the glove and we start talking about him as a legitimate catcher. They got an overpriced reliever and gave up a player for the privilege. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Narvaez. Rosario's a wild card, not a huge loss, and even if Call turns into a monster next year, he wasn't going to get playing time in our organization with the # of OFs we have.

Narvaez was not a good defender, but he was also a raw catcher who hit well, which isn't something easy to find. Stick Narvaez in as the backup behind the beef wellington with the artificial animal hormone injections for a year, work with him on his defense, go sign a reliever for $4 million, and you're better off than the White Sox are right now, unless they can suddenly turn Colome into an amazing stud with a mechanic change. Worst case scenario you non-tender Narvaez next offseason and you've saved $6 million in the process, best case scenario Narvaez improves with the bats and starts looking like a DH or improves with the glove and we start talking about him as a legitimate catcher. They got an overpriced reliever and gave up a player for the privilege. 

I completely agree.  Didn't love the Narvaez trade when it happened - and as the RP market has developed, it looks even worse.

I was all for moving Narvaez, but didn't really get it for a appropriately paid solid RP on a 2 year deal, when similar assets were available for the same or less cost on the FA market.  

At the end of the day, I just don't think there is a large market for bad defensive catchers, with minimal track record and a perhaps flukey season of success under their belt.  But I too would have held onto Narvaez if the best return was Colome - all things being considered.  

4 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Whoa whoa easy there Donald. 

Estrada would have been ok, Liriano on a minor league deal I would have been fine with. Sure, they threw less innings than Nova, but it's not like Nova himself tossed 200+ innings. In my eyes, he's not  an innings eater. Just a warm body that we could have filled for cheaper in free agency.

4 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Lol hell, they might as well have brought him back for only a couple of million instead. He did throw more innings.

But he was a lot suckier .Nova WHIP 1.28 Shields WHIP 1.309, Nova 4.19 ERA Shields 4.53 ERA, and most importantly Nova 32 yrs. old in 2019 Shields 37 so potential suckiness goes up.

Estrada 5.64 ERA and 35 in 2019.

Liriano ? Wow so you're worried about money that the Sox can easily afford over a better player ? How bad do you want the starting rotation to be ? Giolito most likely the worst starter in baseball last year . Rodon coming off injury year, Lopez. the only bright spot. No one wants Shields yet. Liriano almost a 1,5 WHIP and will be 35 Estrada coming off a terrible year 5.64 era AND 1.477 WHIP and also 35 in 2019. I hope you realize the importance of having some reliable guys in the rotation Might as well line the bullpen up for the firing squad.

Again wonderful guys for spot  starter or in case of emergencies but not 4th starter.