2018-9 MLB off season free agency thread

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Those numbers, to my eyes, are basically equal. Slightly worse WHIP for Nova, similar ERAs. 

And Shields’ FIP & xFIP were both above 5 last year not to mention James is five years older.  Nova is without question the better bet to provide solid back-of-the rotation production next year.

21 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I completely agree.  Didn't love the Narvaez trade when it happened - and as the RP market has developed, it looks even worse.

I was all for moving Narvaez, but didn't really get it for a appropriately paid solid RP on a 2 year deal, when similar assets were available for the same or less cost on the FA market.  

At the end of the day, I just don't think there is a large market for bad defensive catchers, with minimal track record and a perhaps flukey season of success under their belt.  But I too would have held onto Narvaez if the best return was Colome - all things being considered.  

I'm pretty "meh" on the Narvaez trade myself, but at the end of the day we're talking about a guy who had the same xwOBA in 2018 as Aaron Altherr and who despite having a 122 wRC+ at a position that is starved for offense was so bad at framing that BP thought he was replacement level.

2 hours ago, OmarComing25 said:

I'm pretty "meh" on the Narvaez trade myself, but at the end of the day we're talking about a guy who had the same xwOBA in 2018 as Aaron Altherr and who despite having a 122 wRC+ at a position that is starved for offense was so bad at framing that BP thought he was replacement level.

Oh I agree.  I don't think Narvaez is this great player.  Just in hindsight, we could have just signed someone similar to Colome on the FA market, likely for less money, and still have Narvaez (who I'd much rather have than McCann).  If Narvaez has another offensive season like last (BIG if), and improves his framing some, he could be a pretty decent trade chip, or a worthwhile platoon catcher.  

Oh well.  Not that big of a deal at the end of the day.  Narvaez is more likely to be out of the bigs in 2 seasons that he is a legitimate major league catcher.  

11 minutes ago, BigSexy23 said:

Still plenty of arms available, I wouldn't mind taking a chance on someone

I'd rather roll with the guys we have in the pen.  Our pen in Charlotte is loaded with major league ready guys.  This is the year to give those guys experience.  Its already a crowded group.  I suppose go to town on minor league deals, though.  I would rather see them do that with a few SP. 

38 minutes ago, Princess Dye said:

I read the Athletic today, and for those who care: Leury & Rondon are out of options. Guyer and Delmonico can still be sent down.

With the team additions already this year, I don't think Rondon has a place on the major league roster as it stands today, let alone if we sign Machado and/or trade for Pederson.