2018-9 MLB off season free agency thread

southsider2k5

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

But the cat said...

charles the cat 2m ago

They have no "money" to spend, but my sources are telling me the cubs are about to launch an ico called "cubbiecoin" and they are prepared to offer harper 6trillion cubbie coins which could be worth way more than money.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26026923/red-sox-owner-john-henry-says-spending-more-tends-helps-teams-win

Red Sox owner John Henry on spending/potential strike/free agency non-movement

Asked about that comment and whether there is a correlation between spending and winning, Henry replied, "I think the Baltimore payroll was double what the Tampa payroll was last year. Close to double. There is a correlation, I'm sure there is a correlation, but it's not as perfect. It's very difficult to predict things in baseball, to predict player performance. Spending more money helps."

Many believe the luxury tax is working as a de facto salary cap, driving down spending, especially in free agency. Henry didn't completely agree with that assertion, however.

"It has an influence, but the biggest influence is trying not to lose money," he said. "I was talking to an owner of a big team at the owners' meeting and he had the same viewpoint. It's not the luxury tax he worries about. ... Even though people are frustrated and the players are frustrated with free agency, we're finding ways to spend money on other areas in baseball."

Baseball reported revenue of $9.4 billion in 2018, up from $9.1 billion in 2017, but overall spending on team payroll declined $18 million, the first decrease since 2010 and only the second drop since 2004.

Asked about Adam Wainwright's comment (about a possible walkout in 2019), Henry said, "That's crazy. A lot has been said about the free-agent market, but it is a free-agent market. It's a free market, and a free market doesn't always do what you want it to do.

"It's important for the union to engage firsthand on what they would like to change. This has been a series of negotiations that led to the kind of market we have today."

12 hours ago, bmags said:

charles the cat 2m ago

They have no "money" to spend, but my sources are telling me the cubs are about to launch an ico called "cubbiecoin" and they are prepared to offer harper 6trillion cubbie coins which could be worth way more than money.

Sounds like that ICO that would digitally create a cat/kitty icon and was priced at $180,000 PER.  Craziness.

As gullible as some fans are, it would probably work.  It's not unlike having shares of stock in teams like the Green Bay Packers or Boston Celtics, just something cool to frame and put on the wall and feeling you're contributing meaningfully to the team's positive fortunes. 

Edited by caulfield12

Thank god we're Sox fans and not a fan of a team with an actual shot at winning this year.

Could you imagine being the Indians and having viable (not great, but certainly viable) OF options out there for super cheap and not bringing one in before Spring Training?

The list could go on and on ... a team needing pitching and being too cheap to sign Keuchel or Gio...

Every team could use a Marwin Gonzalez...nothing...

I'd just be upset if I was a 84-90 win team that isn't giving a few extra dollars to acquire these FA in a subdued market.

Plus we're getting to the point on pitchers if you don't bring them in soon they're going to have a rough start to the season. Happeneed with Alex Cobb last year and few others if I rmember right.

3 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

No matter what you think about the Yankees,  Cashman has done an amazing job rebuilding that team on the fly.

Speaking of them, I wish the Sox could move two of their lower level OF for Clint Frazier, who is blocked. Would be a nice upgrade in RF and a potential future piece. 

11 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

I am more shocked by the years than the money.  Won’t he be 37 at the end of the contract?

Nope, covers his 29-35 years...the last two are probably not optimal, but he has been worth a combined 8.2 fWAR the last two years with the Yankees.

Projected at 3.3-5.2 again this year.

Basically, he'll earn his contract back in just over 2 years (out of 7) if he continues this excellent play.

I guess we should be thankful the Twins have been unable to hold onto guys like Hicks, Span and David Ortiz over the years.

But then the Evil Empire just keeps getting richer and richer (hasn't translated into another WS title, though.)

Edited by caulfield12

On 2/25/2019 at 5:40 AM, bschmaranz said:

Am I nuts or is that a hell of a bargain?  

It's a hell of a deal for Hicks . He is like the guy the Sox are trying to turn Adam Engel into. He was nothing until he was 27. Only 2 years of actually being a good player.

I'm pretty sure the thoughts of perhaps having to get a real job as recently as a few years ago make a 7 year $70M contract at age 29 look like he hit the lottery.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside