2018-9 MLB off season free agency thread

southsider2k5

6 hours ago, whitesoxwinner said:

Thanks raBBit. I knew I was probably wrong. I could see them also focusing on a guy like Dallas Keuchel, for instance. Do you think Boras will convince harper not to sign next week and wait some more?

Why wouldn't the Sox urge Harper to let them know, as soon as possible, in order to give them a chance to seek additional players, and thus improve their prospects for a competitive 2019? That would certainly be in Harper's interest, if he is seriously considering coming to the Sox. A team that is already prepared for a post season run, and only needs to acquire one more piece, would not be able to legitimately make that plea, but the Sox have other needs. If the front office simply told him that they want to win now, and are willing to commit the financial resources to pursue additional players, it could be to everyone's advantage to wrap up their deal, as quickly as possible. 

I like that approach better than a "hard ball" tactic, such as; "Hey, here's our offer. If you don't take it now, we're moving on. We can't sit around and wait on you, at the risk of losing out on other potential acquisitions." In other words, there is indeed a legitimate reason to inject some urgency here, and urgency helps close the deal.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

Jose Fernandez was almost traded shortly before his death.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article222332785.html

He said the Marlins nearly traded Jose Fernandez to Arizona before the 2016 season, less than a year before he died in a boating accident, because he had turned down an extension that winter and ownership had no confidence he would sign with the Marlins when he became a free agent after the 2018 season.

He said the Marlins’ 2015 contract offer to Fernandez topped $30 million, the largest ever for a pre-arbitration pitcher. Samson couldn’t recall the exact terms.

The proposed 5-for-1 trade with Arizona would have sent pitcher Patrick Corbin, third baseman Brandon Drury and center fielder AJ Pollock, among others, to the Marlins.

“Arizona turned it down,” Samson told me. “We thought it was going to happen but we never had any agreement.”