2018-9 MLB off season free agency thread

southsider2k5

It annoys me that the Sox didn't strike at $6-7mm on Billy Hamilton. Obviously there's so much more to come and maybe bigger moves based on this whole Harper/Machado thing... but Engel/Hamilton comparison is an easy one.  Seems like a nice calculated risk to take on.

1 minute ago, BrianAnderson said:

It annoys me that the Sox didn't strike at $6-7mm on Billy Hamilton. Obviously there's so much more to come and maybe bigger moves based on this whole Harper/Machado thing... but Engel/Hamilton comparison is an easy one.  Seems like a nice calculated risk to take on.

I don’t get the Hamilton love.  He’s a slightly better version of Adam Engel.  I’d much rather use the $5M to $7M on a substantial upgrade or a high-end flip candidate.

2 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I don't know.  I honestly don't see much difference between the two.  Obviously Hamilton swipes more bags, but I think Engel has the speed to do it, he just needs to be turned loose on the bases.  

Engel hit .235 with a .614 OPS (and Engel hit .260 with a .668 OPS in the 2nd half).

Hamilton hit .236 with a .626 OPS ( no real difference in his halves). 

That difference is worth the 6 million in pay I wouldn't think.  

Yes and no... Engel probably tops out at 30sb over a full season and slightly worse with the bat. Hamilton gives you 40-60sb and has that former top pick allure that generally means nothing, but would be worth giving a spin.

You're right, not much different, but I'd say Hamilton has a 25% more likelihood to make a difference on a future contending sox team.

45 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

it will be interesting as time goes on to see how Cleveland balances this all out. they have a really nice core, but like Oakland, tb, Minnesota of the past ... they'll have to balance it all perfectly to maintain relevancy. Oakland were the kings of this in 2000's. TB has done a good job over the past decade. for our sake -- I personally hope cle doesn't do well in their endeavors but outside of that would like to see the small team survive. Personally a Verdugo return to me would be strong. He'd slot right in, probably 1 or 2 in the order as well.