2018-9 MLB off season free agency thread

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, fathom said:

well if he's to be believed, Charles the Cat said the Cardinals are very in on Ottavino

I guess we’ll see what he knows...Morosi has been connecting us to Ottavino for quite some time.  Would love to add him for Robertson money or a little less.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

Not sure if been posted yet, but...

CLE seems less likely yo trade Kluber/Bauer.

"According to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, the chances of the Indians trading Corey Kluber or Trevor Bauer "seem to diminish by the day."

The Indians were known to be shopping the two star right-handers at the outset of this offseason, but the club has managed to cut payroll by other means and Rosenthal hears from a rival executive that the Cleveland front office is currently more focused on acquiring "cheap roster fillers" than a blockbuster trade involving a starting pitcher. Rosenthal notes that "it's doubtful the Indians would make Kluber or Bauer available in July if they are in contention." Odds are they will again run away with the American League Central this year, especially with Kluber and Bauer still on board."

I wonder what this could mean for the possible suitors like Sand Diego, LAD, and the Yankees.

If Yankees were expecting to trade Andujar in a trade for Kluber or Bauer maybe their forced to keep him.

If Dodgers were planning on Kluber/Bauer and Pollock, maybe they decide to go Harper.

If SD wanted Kluber/Bauer maybe they go after Harper.

Obviously all speculation and most scenarios don't make a ton of logical sense, but just having offseason fun here.

Additionally, it looks like CLE will keep their team together, which I think is a WIN for Sox fans as if they were going to trade Kluber for say, Verdugo ++ that would have made them much better in the future which is our goal. 

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Weird. That seems complete opposite of what I would have expected out of him. At his first Sox Fest appearance shortly after he signed, he bought a kid a Sox jersey. Seemed like a class act. There has to be something more to this than one player holding court over where the shares went.

51 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Weird. That seems complete opposite of what I would have expected out of him. At his first Sox Fest appearance shortly after he signed, he bought a kid a Sox jersey. Seemed like a class act. There has to be something more to this than one player holding court over where the shares went.

Keith Law went all in on him. Read the comments in the thread too.

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Keith Law went all in on him. Read the comments in the thread too.

I doubt David Robertson was the sole person responsible for not dishing out the shares. Why are none of the other players being held accountable? Were they not a part of the decision as well? Really seems like the team was trying to get back at some of the staff by sticking it to them.

9 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I doubt David Robertson was the sole person responsible for not dishing out the shares. Why are none of the other players being held accountable? Were they not a part of the decision as well? Really seems like the team was trying to get back at some of the staff by sticking it to them.

"Robertson, now a free agent, served as the clubs player rep and was responsible for chairing the shares in what one source described as a contentious meeting." 

Edited by soxfan2014

Didn't expect that out of Robertson, but then again, he did fire his agent so he could represent himself during this free agency, despite him getting a pretty lucrative contract last time around negotiated by his agent. I am sure there may be more happening behind the scenes, but he effectively cut out the agent fees from his new contract.

Edit: just read that he’s donating 1% of his salary to team charity, that’s more like the D Rob we knew.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

All the Tulo love around the league reminds me of the Freak love last year or the year before. 

At least Tulo makes the minimum, but he wasn't so good in 2017, let alone sitting last year out. To think he is a guy who can play SS every day is about as big of reach as Rick Hahn's Jimmy Rollins idea.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

All the Tulo love around the league reminds me of the Freak love last year or the year before. 

At least Tulo makes the minimum, but he wasn't so good in 2017, let alone sitting last year out. To think he is a guy who can play SS every day is about as big of reach as Rick Hahn's Jimmy Rollins idea.

He's making $550k.  Its a no brainer for any MLB team.  If he sucks, so what.  If he gets hurt, so what.  There is literally no reason to not add him to the mix.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

He's making $550k.  Its a no brainer for any MLB team.  If he sucks, so what.  If he gets hurt, so what.  There is literally no reason to not add him to the mix.  

I mentioned that, but look at the stories. He's moving great...he wanted to be a starting SS....I bet he's hurt or released before DiDi gets back,and that isn't going out on a limb.

Edited by Dick Allen

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This. Especially in a situation where you have other decent options if he fails.