2018-9 MLB off season free agency thread

southsider2k5

5 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

This is the best case scenario for the Sox as far as Grandal goes. It buys them another year to evaluate Collins and Zavala to see if they have a future at the catchers spot. If they don't see much in either of those guys, they can get Grandal next offseason instead.

Just said the same thing (kinda) over on the Machado thread.

8 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

This is the best case scenario for the Sox as far as Grandal goes. It buys them another year to evaluate Collins and Zavala to see if they have a future at the catchers spot. If they don't see much in either of those guys, they can get Grandal next offseason instead.

He'll also get a really good feel for the city of Chicago during the summertime...and have some opportunities to interact with his White Sox friends when the Sox and Cubs are both in town the same day.

Positive thinking.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bschmaranz said:

Oh man, with Herrera, Colome setting him up?  Filthy.  I like the Yankees model of always having 4-5 big arms on the back end.

It'd be absolutely absurd unless they used prospects to get a #1-#2 starter and signed Harper/Machado but...

CL - Kimbrel
SU - Herrera
SU - Colome
MR - Fry*
MR - Jones
MR - Frare* (drop for 7-man pen)
MR - Hamilton
LR - Banuelos* 

if they decided to go with an 8-man pen. 

Lordy that'd be fun.

31 minutes ago, Quin said:

It'd be absolutely absurd unless they used prospects to get a #1-#2 starter and signed Harper/Machado but...

CL - Kimbrel
SU - Herrera
SU - Colome
MR - Fry*
MR - Jones
MR - Frare* (drop for 7-man pen)
MR - Hamilton
LR - Banuelos* 

if they decided to go with an 8-man pen. 

Lordy that'd be fun.

Or they could start 40% of their games with the pen like the Rays/Brewers/A's.

Might as well throw Medeiros, Bummer and Covey/Fulmer in there as well, lol.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, Whitesox27 said:

And he's also close with Zack Collins from what I've read. It's a match made in heaven!

Univ of Miami connection.  Between the Cubans and Dominicans, we should swap rosters with the Marlins...of course, that would suck for Midwestern-based White Sox fans, but the marketing in that area with the way our team is comprised would be MUCH easier.

Edited by caulfield12

7 hours ago, bschmaranz said:

They were in San Diego together, were also traded together.

I was going to say, they were with the Reds together. Alonso, Grandal and Boxberger were traded for our good friend Mat Latos. At that point, I remember telling my friend Cubs would probably deal for Rizzo since he struggled in his first call up (and obviously, they did). Padres fucked that one up.

Edited by soxfan2014

28 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I was going to say, they were with the Reds together. Alonso, Grandal and Boxberger were traded for our good friend Mat Latos. At that point, I remember telling my friend Cubs would probably deal for Rizzo (and obviously, they did). Padres fucked that one up.

Or Hoyer sabotaged the Padres to help out his future organization.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Because they signed Dozier?

No, just their whole offseason strategy. If you look at their signings/moves they've shored up other positions than OF. What is interesting is that if they bring back Harper, Robles is blocked, and he's MLB ready as well as a top 5 prospect in the game. The other option for them is to dump Eaton if they bring Harper back. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

25 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

9 Mill for 1 Year for Brian Dozier? What a steal. 

Definitely.  This is one of the drawbacks of this Machado process taking so long.  Perhaps the Sox plan is to just roll with internal option if they fail to sign MM, and I won't fault them for that.  But with bolstering the pen to the extent they have and the secondary pieces that have been added, grabbing a guy like Dozier for 1 year / $9M and plugging him in at 3B (or more likely 2B, and moving Moncada to 3B for Madrigal in the future), made a ton of sense IMO.  

• Like 1